Films You Hate, But Everyone Else Loves

Tools    

Hate is too strong a word, but I was never that crazy about The Matrix or The Sixth Sense.

I pretty much disliked Annie Hall

Finally! Someone else who doesn't care for Annie Hall...don't know how the film won the Oscar for Best Picture and I can think of half a dozen Woody Allen films that are better.

Finally! Someone else who doesn't care for Annie Hall...don't know how the film won the Oscar for Best Picture and I can think of half a dozen Woody Allen films that are better.
My mom hated Annie Hall. Once in a while (or when talking about movies) she still mentions it. Part of it was that she paid to see it in the theaters way back when, but her issue wasn't so much that she hated it, she just couldn't figure out why there was so much hoopla around it and how some people still regard it as a masterpiece!

I don't mind Annie Hall myself, but I do agree there are several Allen films I think are better or that I'd rather watch.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
A Clockwork Orange.

I feel that the plot starts to recycle itself and becomes repetitive in the last half, with no real satisfying ending that pays off the themes that it introduces, but a lot of people love it .

pride and prejudice

The kissing booth

Avatar. Thought it was lame and boring. Yes the CGI looked good but the movie was a snooze fest

A Clockwork Orange.

I feel that the plot starts to recycle itself and becomes repetitive in the last half, with no real satisfying ending that pays off the themes that it introduces, but a lot of people love it .
No way sir!

Clockwork is a masterpiece and Kubrick is a genius.

I can see the run time being a little long and yeah they probably would have edited it down a bit if the film was made in today’s age, but not sure how you could not like that film.

And the ending was great. It shows nature over nurture. The nature of the beast.

One of the greatest movies of all time!

Pig (2021)

Critics seemed to highly rate this film, and several on this site liked it too. It's not the worst movie I've ever seen. It's just the worst movie I've seen this year. I think the proper animal title ought to be "Turkey".

The pig itself was cute enough -- for all of the 10 minutes or so it was shown during the beginning of the picture. And there was some compelling photography. Otherwise, zippo for me.

My guess is that the critics were so relieved that Cage didn't make another in a line of truly awful pictures that they gave him some cred here. Even done better, I'm not sure that the story would work, certainly not with that idiot title.

I'm not moved to give this a full review, but I will suggest my rating: 2/10.

Space Jam. I hate everything about it.

365 days and 50 shades of grey

Pauline Kael's Hideous Mutant Love CHUD
Well, at the risk of forever cementing my status hereabouts as one suffering from congenital lowness of brow, film-wise: Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles -- which I've attempted to watch all the way through twice now, and failed both times -- bored me so profoundly that I could actually feel my bodily cells slowing down and individually undergoing entropic decay, both times.

God bless and keep all of you fellow enthusiasts who genuinely found it meaningful and uplifting, etc. -- and it's certainly not as if I was wanting a Michael Bay movie, instead -- but: I just couldn't connect.
"If it was priggish for an older generation of reviewers to be ashamed of what they enjoyed and to feel they had to be contemptuous of popular entertainment, it's even more priggish for a new movie generation to be so proud of what they enjoy that they use their education to try to place trash within the acceptable academic tradition." -- Pauline Kael

I just can't stand any of Ari Aster's films.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
I just can't stand any of Ari Aster's films.
I actually agree with this one.

I dont stick around long enough to hate a movie. When I realize Im not going to like it I leave or turn it off. No use in forcing myself to suffer.