Searching for an old film where female lead sings on intercom.

Tools    

Help!

I'm trying to remember the title of this movie.

It is an older movie, possibly 50's, to maybe 80's at the latest.

Female lead can sing, and I'm thinking Doris Day.

Movie has a scene where the male lead is trying to avoid a bad guy, and the female lead can see the action from upstairs. This is possibly in a train station, airport, or similar. She grabs the intercom and sings, pretending to be background music. She changes the lyrics of the song to give the male lead clues to where the bad guy is.

What is the name of this movie?

Thanks in advance!

TriggerJock

freedom~empathy~peace
.....an older movie, possibly 50's, to maybe 80's at the latest.

Female lead can sing, and I'm thinking Doris Day....
It's possible you're remembering the ending of the Hitchcock remake of 'The Man Who Knew Too Much' (1956).

Doris Day performs a song to attract the attention of her kidnapped son, whom she believes is being held captive in a room on the upper floor of a foreign embassy building.

The scene in its entirety is on youtube here:
|

That movie is probably why I keep thinking it is Doris Day. Most likely it is a different actress.

I definitely remember the female lead looking down to a lower floor as the male lead is being stalked by the bad guy. Imagine rows of lockers at a train station. She sings on the intercom as if she were background music and gives away where the bad guy is so the male lead can escape or defeat the bad guy.

In my head the movie has the feel of North by Northwest and the singer reminds me of Doris Day. I just can't find the movie.

Thanks for the suggestion,

TriggerJock

It's possible you're remembering the ending of the Hitchcock remake of 'The Man Who Knew Too Much' (1956).

Doris Day performs a song to attract the attention of her kidnapped son, whom she believes is being held captive in a room on the upper floor of a foreign embassy building.

(link removed)

freedom~empathy~peace
Well, this one intrigues me.

It was an English language movie, correct?

What genre would you say the film was? Your description reads like thriller/suspense, but might it have been a comedy, perhaps?

Yes, definitely English language. Yes, it also could be a comedy. That's why I included the 80's in the original post. I could see, perhaps, an early Tom Hanks bumbling about avoiding the bad guys like in One Red Shoe.

However, I keep feeling the pace of the movie is more Hitchcock-like.

Hmm, Grand Central Station, both high up and down on floor level, cat and mouse with the bad guy(s). Think, think, think...

TriggerJock

Well, this one intrigues me.

It was an English language movie, correct?

What genre would you say the film was? Your description reads like thriller/suspense, but might it have been a comedy, perhaps?

freedom~empathy~peace
...Hmm, Grand Central Station, both high up and down on floor level, cat and mouse with the bad guy(s). Think, think, think...
Don't give up, -- someone out there will know this movie!

Today, I posted the details of your movie search onto a Reddit page, and I've had one result (so far). They can't identify the film, but they recall the scene with the female singing over the intercom (P.A.). They are also pretty sure it's a movie from the 1980's or 90's, so that's a bit of progress -- we're narrowing the search field

Don't give up, -- someone out there will know this movie!

Today, I posted the details of your movie search onto a Reddit page, and I've had one result (so far). They can't identify the film, but they recall the scene with the female singing over the intercom (P.A.). They are also pretty sure it's a movie from the 1980's or 90's, so that's a bit of progress -- we're narrowing the search field
No, I haven't given up. If it is from the 80's or later, then perhaps it wasn't a movie but was from a tv series? That's not the vibe I'm getting when I think about it, but it is already mixed up with The Man Who Knew Too Much, so maybe I'm confused.

What movies (non-musical) or shows have a female lead that can sing. I don't think there are that many. I feel that the actress was known for singing and the scene where she sings over the intercom was kind of "aha, they found a way to make sure she used her singing talent in the movie."

I just skimmed thru "Caprice" and didn't see it there. That had the right feel, though. Maybe.

Sigh, I'll keep searching.

freedom~empathy~peace
.....just skimmed thru "Caprice"....
Yes, I wondered about 'Caprice' but I don't think Doris sings in that film.

I also thought about it perhaps being something from a Bette Midler film. She was active in the 1980s and 90's.