The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I have never seen Step Brothers. i don't hate Will Ferrell as some do. But I do not seek him out. I did love Elf.
As for Christmas Vacation, I guess its a classic holiday comedy. I have enjoyed it when I have seen it but I don't go out of my way to see it at Christmas. I have probably seen Fred Claus more often. Any love for Fred Claus or am I alone in that?
Still neither of these are on my list.

Step Brothers came very close to cracking my list. It's an absolutely garbage movie, exactly the kind of thing I usually hate about comedies, forgetting about ideas or style or cinema and just depending on useless laughs. Well, the useless laughs work for me in this one. I think the first half of it' is close to the funniest pure comedies made this millenium (don't get excited, there's probably about four that even qualify for the list). But just watching Ferrel and Reilly do their sleepwalking bit is always going to be enough to give it a pass.

Other than Randy Quaid, Christmas Vacation qualifies as little more than holiday wallpaper. I don't die if it's on, but I might leave the room. Chase, who is one of the most inconsistent comedy actors of his generation (but also easily one of its best when he's on his stride) is already at the phoning it in phase of his career in this movie. Middling jingle belled shit.

Also, nice to see some love for Brooks' Silent Movie around here. It's removing the foul taste of all this Men in Tights love I find absolutely baffling

I like Will Ferrell and Chevy Chase a lot on screen, but they both seem like total aholes off screen.
I haven't heard/read anything about Ferrell, but it is widely documented that Chase is an *******.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
#79 and #80
ugh
Never heard these.
From the posters I see + the names Will Ferrell and Chevy Chase, it heavily smells like
releases of some kind.
---

Mel Brooks ranked:

1) Blazing Saddles
2) Young Frankenstein
3) Silent Movie
4) History of the World
5) 12 Chairs
6) High Anxiety
7) The Producers
8) Space Balls
9) Robin Hood Men in Tights
10) Dracula: Dead and Loving It

Not liking Chevy Chase is normal. He's never been funny and he's a dick.

No votes for the last two. The first I've not seen and don't care to, while the second I have seen and would rather not (I don't care for Lampoon's for the most part and Beveley D'Angelo isn't in a shower in this one so there's literally no reason to watch it)

I did have Wayne's World at #23. I don't love it like the previous two I've had turn up, but I saw it for the first time in a long time about 3 years ago and was surprised to still like it as much as I did.. Many of the jokes and bits still work, the soundtrack is still fantastic and while the nostalgia is quite strong and familiarity counts for a lot with comedy (IMO) I still felt it was worthy of a place on my list. Comedies aren't my thing, so it wasn't a particularly strong list (though judging by some of what's made it, it was stronger than some ) and almost nothing from the last 20+ years would've gotten close to my list, so nostalgia is probably playing a bigger role than in some.

I haven't heard/read anything about Ferrell, but it is widely documented that Chase is an *******.

I can't think of many movie stars who have as many corroborating stories of what a monstrously shit human being they are.

Never read a single good thing about Chase. It's exclusively bad.

The Producers is excellent. A lot of fun and far too long since I last watched it. Wayne's World is fun but not that funny for me. When I was younger I thought it was hilarious but you know. Step Brothers is hilarious and I was tempted to add it to my list but it didn't happen. I thought it was alright the first time I saw it and then a very random rewatch years later had me laughing throughout. That's a sign of a good comedy. I grew up with the Vacation movies and Christmas Vacation is one of those movies I just have to watch every Canada Day. Hey that's tomorrow!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I can't think of many movie stars who have as many corroborating stories of what a monstrously shit human being they are.

Never read a single good thing about Chase. It's exclusively bad.
Norm Macdonald and Paul Shaffer liked him. As far as I know, they were the only ones.

#79 and #80
ugh
Never heard these.
From the posters I see + the names Will Ferrell and Chevy Chase, it heavily smells like
releases of some kind.
---
You've never heard of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation?!

I know it's an old movie, but it's a huge Christmas staple and gets shown on TV a lot every December.

Norm Macdonald and Paul Shaffer liked him. As far as I know, they were the only ones.

Norm MacDonald would probably like him. He always seemed to pal around with all the unwanted people. And Paul Schaffer loves everyone.

I do believe Dan Harmon eventually made up with him and explained that while Chase is definitely a really difficult person, he is really sweet underneath all the cruelty. Which is maybe true, but they also say that about some serial killers so....

Also, I'm a pretty big fan of Chase regardless. Even knowing he would likely despise my guts if he ever caught sight of me.

Same. Robin Hood makes me cringe uncontrollably. I recognized, even in '87, that Spaceballs was not great, but I can't hate a film with Moranis and Candy in it so it gets a pass. Honestly, my interest wanes starting with History P2.

You made it all the way through Part 1, but it was the jokes during the ending credits that started to lose you?

You made it all the way through Part 1, but it was the jokes during the ending credits that started to lose you?

I spent so much of my pre teen energy trying to track down History of the World: Part 2. One of the rare times having the quick answers afforded by the internet would have improved my youth.

also surprised to see anyone liking Robin Hood: Men In Tights, which I thought was an absolute tragedy as I squirmed at it in the theater and felt sympathetic embarrassment for everyone involved but especially Elwes and overwhelmingly Brooks

TBH, I had rationalized it when my friends wanted to watch due to them being so young, while they were in their early-mid 20s at the time, they probably weren't born when Men in Tights came out, that maybe they encountered it at a very young age and they had childhood nostalgia for it. But I never asked. I just mostly groaned at the time because it was as bad as I remembered.

And I remember going into it as a kid (tween?) thinking, "movie from the guy who made Spaceballs (and Young Frankenstein) and starring the guy from The Princess Bride."