The 1st MoFo Movie Hall of Fame: Round 1

Tools    

Which Movie Most Deserves a Spot in the Hall of Fame?
5.97%
4 votes
City Lights (1931)
8.96%
6 votes
Duck Soup (1933)
34.33%
23 votes
Psycho (1960)
0%
0 votes
The Producers (1968)
4.48%
3 votes
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984)
0%
0 votes
The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)
2.99%
2 votes
RoboCop (1987)
2.99%
2 votes
Farewell My Concubine (1993)
7.46%
5 votes
American History X (1998)
19.40%
13 votes
The Big Lebowski (1998)
4.48%
3 votes
Eyes Wide Shut (1999)
8.96%
6 votes
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
67 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Let the night air cool you off
If he/she doesn't vote, his/her nomination won't be in the next round regardless of placement. Currently it would be making in the next round. We still need votes from HitchFan and Skepsis, but they are still around so I'm not worried about it.

For me Psycho is the best movie in there that I have seen. It's one of my favourites it's original, ground breaking and thrilling from begining to end

Chappie doesn't like the real world
If he/she doesn't vote, his/her nomination won't be in the next round regardless of placement. Currently it would be making in the next round. We still need votes from HitchFan and Skepsis, but they are still around so I'm not worried about it.
Too bad. I had City Lights pretty high up.

I hope I'm a part of next round. I've been watching so many movies for tournaments and those sort of things. Now I'm all caught up and don't know what to do with myself.

City Lights should stay in. It's very high on my list and it really deserves to be the first movie on the Hall of Fame. You should just count the other members' votes, but with City Lights still in the competition.

Maybe send Jal90 a private message or something.

The problem with these open polls is that people don't have to watch all the movies to vote before. American History X is fairly popular here but it is not remotely as popular as Psycho and The Big Lebowski.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I've seen Jal90 posting in the 90's thread. Are the people who haven't sent their votes in still planning to? Three months is up, peeps.

Sorry guys!

I had some very busy months at the time this tourney was set and completely forgot about it, then I was actually delaying this because I still had Farewell my concubine and Purple rose of Cairo to watch, now that I'm done with them it happens that I haven't watched The producers... well, whatever, how should I do? Vote here for my favorite and send my best-to-worst list to jiraffejustin?

God damn, I'm talking like a Woody Allen character.

Reading the thread it seems you had a discussion on Miyazaki and I missed it, oh damn.

I am a huge fan of almost anything Ghibli related and Nausicäa is not the exception. This movie is actually one I'm specially fond of -not necessarily among my very favorites- and precisely because it was a little harder for me to end up loving it. Not for the reasons brought by donniedarko, because I was already fond of the style and motifs of Miyazaki, but due to the amount of interactions it became a little difficult to follow. And I did also find the main character to be cheesy and rather excessive/fake. However everything changed in rewatch.

Not only because it happened that my confusion on the storyline was due to whatever drug I was on when I watched it :P, but also on Nausicäa... as much as I agree with Guaporense's post in this thread about this character, her selfishness and sense of dignity, I ended up liking her through the exact contrary, and found her to be rather complex. Look at the scene of the invasion for example...

WARNING: "Spoilers" spoilers below
Nausicäa actually kills two or three soldiers. She is not able to control her impulses and commits what in her eyes is plain and unjustifiable murder. We see her crying over this later.

She is extremely kind. But the movie is also about the efforts she has to go through to live with this philosophy when her environment is sending her constantly signals that the world is, simply, ****ed up. This is the main difference between this character and a Christ like figure. She is not completely innocent, and in the end, she's still human with weak moments, and is aware of them.

This is not the only reason why I love this work, though. Another very important one is that it is a movie of scenes. And this is also a shared characteristic with other Ghiblies, but specially noticeable in this one. You might find, for example, that Nausicäa is not a type of character you are into, and still find her smile when she takes her mask off in the forest strangely trustworthy and admirable, or the moment she drowns her foot in the acid lake heart-rending and painful. Many scenes are given a very specific aura of emotional intensity that make them work alone, very well.

I can certainly understand donniedarko's comments. The fact is Miyazaki has a very idealistic philosophy in his overall work; if you don't connect with it you'll be likely to find it stupid, but I think he makes the movies himself as a way to react against the real world; they are fables, which are actually written with the child audience in mind (he states that he makes movies for kids), dealing about idealized situations where these utopias of peace and mutual respect can happen.

Not for the reasons brought by donniedarko, because I was already fond of the style and motifs of Miyazaki, but due to the amount of interactions it became a little difficult to follow. And I did also find the main character to be cheesy and rather excessive/fake. However everything changed in rewatch.
Indeed. One must be able to take seriously rather absurd scenes. Like a 18 year old angry girl killing a dozen well armored soldiers in a few seconds and played strictly seriously (not in a comedic way like in Kick Ass, for instance but more like in a film such as Platoon).

Not only because it happened that my confusion on the storyline was due to whatever drug I was on when I watched it :P, but also on Nausicäa... as much as I agree with Guaporense's post in this thread about this character, her selfishness and sense of dignity, I ended up liking her through the exact contrary, and found her to be rather complex. Look at the scene of the invasion for example...

WARNING: "Spoilers" spoilers below
Nausicäa actually kills two or three soldiers. She is not able to control her impulses and commits what in her eyes is plain and unjustifiable murder. We see her crying over this later.

She is extremely kind. But the movie is also about the efforts she has to go through to live with this philosophy when her environment is sending her constantly signals that the world is, simply, ****ed up. This is the main difference between this character and a Christ like figure. She is not completely innocent, and in the end, she's still human with weak moments, and is aware of them.
Nausicaa is a very complex character indeed, in fact among the most original and complex characters in the history of screen fiction. Also, she ignores the contradiction between preserving humanity's existence and the spread of the forest of corruption when she talks with Asbel about this at the middle of the movie. In the manga she becomes a much darker and even more complex character than in the movie:

Miyazaki didn't care about the target audience for his manga since it wasn't made for profit so he didn't control the amount of brutality and didn't care about making it family friendly.

This is not the only reason why I love this work, though. Another very important one is that it is a movie of scenes. And this is also a shared characteristic with other Ghiblies, but specially noticeable in this one. You might find, for example, that Nausicäa is not a type of character you are into, and still find her smile when she takes her mask off in the forest strangely trustworthy and admirable, or the moment she drowns her foot in the acid lake heart-rending and painful. Many scenes are given a very specific aura of emotional intensity that make them work alone, very well.

I can certainly understand donniedarko's comments. The fact is Miyazaki has a very idealistic philosophy in his overall work; if you don't connect with it you'll be likely to find it stupid, but I think he makes the movies himself as a way to react against the real world; they are fables, which are actually written with the child audience in mind (he states that he makes movies for kids), dealing about idealized situations where these utopias of peace and mutual respect can happen.
Well, not exactly all his movies are idealized, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke and the Nausicaa manga (clearly from the page above, it's much darker than anything he did, bordering on horror) are much less idealized than his other movies. His most idealized film would be Kiki's Delivery Service, where everybody is nice and happy. And also, real people are not as evil or d*cks as people in Scorsese's or Tarantino's films are as well, so these movies are also idealizations of some sort.

Also, I would add that Nausicaa the film wasn't made for small children, considering that a memo of the studio that I read about Castle in the Sky said that Castle in the Sky was made for a younger audience than Nausicaa and it also said that Castle in the Sky was made for 10-12 years olds. So the target audience for Nausicaa was older than that.

Also, in Japan people under 20 are considered children. So Cobbyth, Donnie Darko, Daniel M., etc, are all children anyway .

Psycho is a true classic.
Absolutely - I picked this one, being that's its classically superior from my other choice: American History X.