Tár (Marin Alsop‘s criticism)

Tools    

Have seen the film twice now, loved it, and have just read Marin Alsop’s comments in Variety.

https://variety.com/2023/film/global...235482490/amp/

Specifically, Alsop says that, once the film reveals Lydia’s
WARNING: spoilers below
sexual misconduct
, she was ‘offended: …offended as a woman …offended as a conductor …offended as a lesbian’.

I do realise that this is a version of the kind of discussion that has inevitably popped up/developed in other threads, but to me, the best thing about the film is that Lydia is shown as a complex character, with flaws. It is a very realistic portrayal of the environment in the world of classical music, especially the very top.

Is the issue that Lydia is an
antihero (not to say an outright villain)?.
I almost feel like for once, I see evidence of some kind of reverse, paradoxical bias, as if there’s an inherent problem with having a
female antihero survive and thrive (which is my own, likely contentious, reading of the ending, as I feel like a maestra at that level will thrive anywhere doing what she loves, whether that be the Philippines or NY).

Again, there have been some threads here touching upon this, but is it really again an example of people expecting ‘positive reinforcement’ from a ‘strong woman’ lesbian character, and nothing more? I feel like it’s just absurd and would be entirely unrealistic, as it’s widely understood that getting to the very top of any competitive field, especially ‘as a woman’ and especially a field as grounded in history and tradition (and, to an extent, religion) as western classical music, one does need to be ‘a bit of a bitch’ (one can of course disagree, but that’s my personal experience (and no, I am not at the top of my field)).

Alsop adds, ‘To have an opportunity to portray a woman in that role and to make her
an abuser — for me that was heartbreaking…’.
. And that’s exactly the sort of thing that bothers me, as if all these people want any female character to be a bloody advert for ‘strong females’ to ensure a kind of infinite, idealistic feedback loop that ‘this girl can’. Alsop then suggests that the film ‘assumes women will behave as badly as men’ (I paraphrase), which in itself strikes me as hilariously sexist, as if
sexual harassment is an exclusively male prerogative.

For what that’s worth, I loved Lydia and was wholly on her side, though I’m pretty much allergic to ‘strong female’ characters. I also felt it was quite easy to be on her side (her wife manipulating her relationship with the child was revolting).

I need to see Tarr is about all I can comment on about this.
I did think it might be a bit of an irrelevant thread as it’s not out everywhere yet, but I watched it online a good few weeks ago, so thought maybe someone would have seen it already.

I recommend going into Tar expecting it to be a ghost story.
I have read that interpretation as well and I find it quite intriguing, as I didn’t get that vibe at all (similarly, have seen it described as a horror film and couldn’t relate to that at all, either, even as a massive horror lover).

I recommend going into Tar expecting it to be a ghost story.

Well, that's spoiled now. LOL.

The trick is not minding
I’ve added some more but it looks a bit ridiculous now, I can never strike the right balance with these.
It’s fine haha. I don’t think it’ll ruin the movie too much.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Lots of people getting offended these days. Some by a female lesbian protagonist who's actually a bad person, others by the Bach scene, and so on.

I think it was ingenious to make Lydia a woman and a lesbian and THEN make her all the things that are usually slapped onto straight men. It's a no-brainer, but being an a-hole is not unique to being a heterosexual male.

So, being offended by Tar, as a woman or a lesbian, is as stupid as being offended by 90% of serial killer/rapist/thief/abuser/murderer/a-hole characters in film in the past 100 years as a straight male.

The thing with Alsop might be more of a Hearst type of thing, though. There are many similarities between her and Lydia, so she might be seeing this as a sort of libel. Who knows.

Anyway, the film's whole point is that Lydia is an awful person but she doesn't see herself as one. She sees herself as better than others and finds excuses for her behavior. She is still a strong woman character but she's strong in all the wrong ways. In the end, she survives but the final reveal is absolutely ridiculous.

Also, as for being on Lydia's side, the film is quite ambiguous, but there are some really strong indicators that she's guilty.

WARNING: "Tar" spoilers below
When she goes to the massage parlor in the Philippines, she is shown a bunch of young women with numbers on them. One of the women looks at her in the exact same way a young orchestra player looked at her before in the film. That makes Lydia run away and puke. That's when she finally realized that she was preying on the women in the orchestra, etc., etc.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

It seems like this turns on the question of something closer to fact...whether it's actually true. The nature of the defense, mainly that only men can be abusive, is dubious at the very least. Ironically, Alsop was conductor of the Baltimore Symphony for some years, I saw her perform a bunch of times and her treatment by local media as well as the audience was quite positive.

I don't recall exactly why she left, but that's not surprising since tenures by conductors generally do end within 10 years or so. She didn't leave under a cloud as far as I know, nothing was reported in the media. Her orientation was well known and not controversial. Nothing about that story seems relevant to Alsop's experience here so I'd be curious as to what was going on with that story that was so pungent as to provoke those remarks.

Lots of people getting offended these days. Some by a female lesbian protagonist who's actually a bad person, others by the Bach scene, and so on.

I think it was ingenious to make Lydia a woman and a lesbian and THEN make her all the things that are usually slapped onto straight men. It's a no-brainer, but being an a-hole is not unique to being a heterosexual male.

So, being offended by Tar, as a woman or a lesbian, is as stupid as being offended by 90% of serial killer/rapist/thief/abuser/murderer/a-hole characters in film in the past 100 years as a straight male.

Just putting this spoiler tags because it's hard to link to any news article without things turning political in this forum...

But half of me (or more) wonders if Todd Field also read this article from back in 2018 and that's where the idea for this movie came from.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/13/n...professor.html

The thing with Alsop might be more of a Hearst type of thing, though. There are many similarities between her and Lydia, so she might be seeing this as a sort of libel. Who knows.
Or in a similar suit, I imagine if I found out a lot of my life served as factual points for a fictional character, but then all the liberties were taken to make me look like a worse person than what I was, most notably, worse in a different kind of way, that deviation from my reality would then probably get under my skin.
If I were in her shoes, maybe I'd be really wrankled by it being described as transactional. Maybe more than anything else. But who knows.

Anyway, the film's whole point is that Lydia is an awful person but she doesn't see herself as one. She sees herself as better than others and finds excuses for her behavior. She is still a strong woman character but she's strong in all the wrong ways. In the end, she survives but the final reveal is absolutely ridiculous.

I finally read the much-talked about Dan Kois piece on slate about the ending.

https://slate.com/culture/2022/12/ta...-analyzed.html

I went in feeling somewhat skeptical, but it does raise the point that a lot of deviations from normal reality start fairly on in the movie, so reading a large chunk of the later part of the movie as a purely, literal exercise in reality seems off. I'll sit on it, and maybe rewatch it again later with it in mind. Mainly because the first time through, the movie was kind of diminishing itself as it sat in my mind because of that stretch otherwise.

Also, as for being on Lydia's side, the film is quite ambiguous, but there are some really strong indicators that she's guilty.

WARNING: "Tar" spoilers below
When she goes to the massage parlor in the Philippines, she is shown a bunch of young women with numbers on them. One of the women looks at her in the exact same way a young orchestra player looked at her before in the film. That makes Lydia run away and puke. That's when she finally realized that she was preying on the women in the orchestra, etc., etc.
She definitely is guilty as far as I understand. I meant more that I very much consciously buy into the film’s narrative that her genius somewhat transcends that. Again, to me that felt very apt and more nuanced than most contemporary offerings, as I personally have always felt that ‘the greats’ exist on a different moral plane, which is neither good nor bad, but something that I find quite true to life.

But yeah, though the final reveal could be a bit more elegant, I felt it was quite bold, especially in the contemporary climate. I actually didn’t see it as a ‘reveal’ until you used that word, but yes, it sure is.

Thank you for linking that in! Fascinating stuff.

And if you look closely, you’ll see, motionless in the dark corner of Lydia’s bedroom, nearly unnoticeable at the back of the frame, a red-haired woman: Krista.

This is just mindblowing and I did not notice it originally.

Thank you for linking that in! Fascinating stuff.

This is just mindblowing and I did not notice it originally.
That's a great article. It is a truly brilliant film.

WARNING: "tar" spoilers below
The noises can be explained by the 'ghost' story element I suppose (although I didn't see that red haired image either - spooky!) There is definitely something other worldly about the last section of the film set in Asia. The point at which she crashes the orchestra and attacks the conductor does seem very out of kilter with the rest of the film. I have to admit I didn't pick up on whether this may be all in her head - her worrying about where she could end up as a result of her behaviour, but it does make sense.

I just loved how meticulous the film is. So well researched. And I love that Lydia is not even her real name. Her brother (?) lets it slip that she is called Linda - she lives a lie. Although does any of that really happen? I love ambiguous films like this, they are so hard to get right, but when it's done well like this, it is a joy to watch.

That's a great article. It is a truly brilliant film.

The noises can be explained by the 'ghost' story element I suppose (although I didn't see that red haired image either - spooky!) There is definitely something other worldly about the last section of the film set in Asia. The point at which she crashes the orchestra and attacks the conductor does seem very out of kilter with the rest of the film. I have to admit I didn't pick up on whether this may be all in her head - her worrying about where she could end up as a result of her behaviour, but it does make sense.

I just loved how meticulous the film is. So well researched. And I love that Lydia is not even her real name. Her brother (?) lets it slip that she is called Linda - she lives a lie. Although does any of that really happen? I love ambiguous films like this, they are so hard to get right, but when it's done well like this, it is a joy to watch.

Yup, I did notice the
Linda moment
. I guess it’s all about meticulously constructed identities.

I guess if that reading is applied, I don’t get a sense of where the film ‘ends’ as far as factual reality is concerned - is she simply
‘unpunished’?
But yes, I’m also a huge fan of such ambiguity, which is becoming increasingly rare when we want to just be able to ‘Google the answer’.

Good job I’m due to see it at Picturehouse this Friday, hopefully the big screen makes these things easier to pick up on, though I suppose at this point I’ll be looking out for them.

Yup, I did notice the
Linda moment
. I guess it’s all about meticulously constructed identities.

I guess if that reading is applied, I don’t get a sense of where the film ‘ends’ as far as factual reality is concerned - is she simply
‘unpunished’?
Maybe that's the point.

Where does cancel culture end?

Maybe that's the point.

Where does cancel culture end?
Oh, definitely, I think that’s fascinating and a much stronger ending in terms of originality/leaving room for thought.

One thing's for sure - I can't remember Blanchett ever being this good. Her command of English and German and the intensity at which she delivers her performance is absolutely jaw dropping.