Movies You Love (But Will Never Watch Again)

Tools    

I can't watch Schindler's List either mainly because it's an "American Dreamer's Dream" of what the holocaust was, rather than what it actually is. The holocaust is literally so depressing that the idea that it was somehow about one man taking a stand and making a difference seems no only very short sighted, but flat out wrong. Have you been to Auschwitz? It's not where you'd think it would be. Its located smack dab right in the town of Oswiecim. It's surrounded by residential and commercial property... everyone in that town had to have had "some" idea what was going on in there yet no one "would" or perhaps I should say "could" stand up about it. I think a better depiction of the holocaust is rather the European document(s): Shoah and Night and Fog. That's more accurate but even then it doesn't even begin to accurately portray that time in history and leave it to the director of such films like E.T. to bring you his "Mickey Mouse-McDonald's-sized" version for the American palate. After all, Americans sure do love their "happy endings."
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Requiem for a dream i cant watch but i dont remember loving it and then the end scene with the music ill never watch that again, good job on Darren Aronofsky not many movies can do that.

Edmond (2005) with William H Macy i thought was a fantastic nihilistic movie but i will probably never watch again because ive seen it 3 times and every time i ended up with weird feelings afterwards its very odd. So i dont think i want to watch it again.

Yeah, good call on Edmund.

Just thought of another, "Requiem for a Dream". I was a little under the influence at the time, it hit home...

I understand this one...I have actually thought about a re-watch, and if I do, that will definitely be the last time.

Nobody Ordered Love (1972). I'll never watch it again, because it no longer exists. It's on the BFI's 75 most wanted list. My uncle had a print that fell into my hands after he went to prison. I needed cash and didn't really know what I had. I took it to a pawn shop in '98, but they didn't offer me much for it. They didn't know what I had either. Pissed me off. I got drunk and burned it in the desert (bad stretch of my life) and worked on becoming a body builder before turning pro-wrestler in '99. None of this is true, but don't let this man distract you from the fact that in 1998, The Undertaker threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell, and plummeted 16 ft through an announcer's table. Signed, John Cena.

I can't watch Schindler's List either mainly because it's an "American Dreamer's Dream" of what the holocaust was, rather than what it actually is. The holocaust is literally so depressing that the idea that it was somehow about one man taking a stand and making a difference seems no only very short sighted, but flat out wrong. Have you been to Auschwitz? It's not where you'd think it would be. Its located smack dab right in the town of Oswiecim. It's surrounded by residential and commercial property... everyone in that town had to have had "some" idea what was going on in there yet no one "would" or perhaps I should say "could" stand up about it. I think a better depiction of the holocaust is rather the European document(s): Shoah and Night and Fog. That's more accurate but even then it doesn't even begin to accurately portray that time in history and leave it to the director of such films like E.T. to bring you his "Mickey Mouse-McDonald's-sized" version for the American palate. After all, Americans sure do love their "happy endings."
I will never, ever understood this criticism about List; I mean, for one thing, what Schindler did was obviously a true, amazing story, so why shouldn't it be told in cinematic form? For another thing, the film never flinches in its portrayal of the Holocaust and its immense number of victims; I mean, there's literally a scene in it where some of Schindler's people are at Auschwitz, and they see a line of people being led into a nearby building with an omnious pillar of smoke arising out of it, so I have no idea how much more Spielberg could've driven home the point that most European Jews weren't so fortunate. Because, without Schindler, then the entire film would've basically been nothing but three hours of this:

I will never, ever understood this criticism about List; I mean, for one thing, what Schindler did was obviously a true, amazing story, so why shouldn't it be told in cinematic form? For another thing, the film never flinches in its portrayal of the Holocaust and its immense number of victims; I mean, there's literally a scene in it where some of Schindler's people are at Auschwitz, and they see a line of people being led into a nearby building with an omnious pillar of smoke arising out of it, so I have no idea how much more Spielberg could've driven home the point that most European Jews weren't so fortunate. Because, without Schindler, then the entire film would've basically been nothing but three hours of this:
I guess I'm more apt to believe the Come and See-type version of the holocaust than the Schindler's List-type, (as far as "fictional" representations). Different strokes.