The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

EDIT: Oh shit. I skipped Raid 2. Which is funny because it was the only one of mine that made the list. I think I had it at number 3 or 4. Turns action into something transcendent. So astonishing that its the kind of thing that shouldn't even exist. I don't know how Edwards got all of this energy onto camera. I don't know how he made something this thrilling and strange and wildly unhinged. The GREATEST action movie of all time. Bar none. Eats John Woo for breakfast. And what makes the whole film extra interesting to me is it embeds these monumental set pieces of guns and cars and violence into an almost incomprehensible story dealing with all sorts of crosses and double crosses and bizarre characters that you can barely get your finger on before another car smashes into the scene. The whole thing keeps the audience off balance, gives the action space to have real impact, creates a mystery around the incredible directness of the scenes that absolutely jump off the screen and pummel the audience. Astonishing astonishing film.

Seen both, voted for neither. Easy A is fun and enjoyable with a wonderful performance by Emma Stone. Prisoners is excellent, very well directed and with strong performances from the cast.

Seen 28/32

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I'm shocked how low Prisoners is, was thinking top 20, an absolute masterpiece in tension, a brilliant performance for Gyllenhaal and a scene for the ages near the end that had me white knuckling.

My number #2.

Not seen either, but own Easy A. I remember a lot of people seeing and liking Prisoners when it was released but it's never looked like something I'd enjoy so haven't bothered.

Happy New Year MoFos!

16/32 seen
2/32 on my ballot

Of the films appearing on the list since The Artist, I have seen Deadpool, the Martian, The King's Speech, Shutter Island, Knives Out, ScottPilgrim Vs. the World, Ida, The Easy A, and Prisoners.
None of these are on my list. One of two things are in play here; either I am out of touch or everything I picked will appear later in the countdown. I am going with the latter right know.
Of the movies I have mentioned in this post, The Easy A is the only one I remember liking a lot. I have seen it two or three times which is a lot for me. It is right up there with Clueless and the John Hughes teen comedies of the Eighties. It is smart and fun.

I enjoyed The Martian, Scott Pilgrim Vs the World and The Prisoners.

Deadpool and The King's Speech were okay.
I have an interesting relationship with Shutter Island as i was mentally unwell when I saw it.

I hated Knives Out. I could not understand what the fuss was about and I was surprised to see a sequel this year.

I'm sure I have seen Ida, but I do not remember it very clearly. I think it is mixed up with other foreign films I have seen.

Gonna watch Prisoners today. I WAS going to watch it before the deadline, but I couldn't find anything to make the top 5 so I quit, and after watching the Malcolm X trailer I went on that Spike Lee binge. Might continue it later since Tubi just added Crooklyn. By the end of today I'll have seen 18/32.

I've never been all that interested in Easy A, but I do really like Emma Stone so I'll add it to my watchlist.

I've seen Prisoners, but torture is kind of a no-go for me in this kind of context, and so I definitely disconnected from the film. I'll probably give it another go at some point. I did think that the performances were good.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I didn't know Easy A was so popular. I haven't seen it but I do like Emma Stone in everything else I've seen her in so will add it to my watchlist.

I did know Prisoners was this popular, I just don't like it as much as everyone else seems to.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Bumpkis, for me, but I have recently considered checking out Easy A as an Emma Stone fanboy. Her early works, as it were lol

EDIT: just read Thursday and Takoma's posts AFTER posting. EXCELLENT idea ladies

Movies Seen 17 out of 32 (53.12%)
1. Upper Fifty
2. Jojo Rabbit (2012) #89
3. Lower Thirty, if at all
4. Will be a Surprise
5. Mid Pack
6. Mid Pack
7. Upper Fifty
8. Hell or High Water (2016) #76
9. Unlikely
10. Upper Twenty
11. Mid Pack
12. Probably Not
13. The King's Speech (2010) #78
14. Upper Fifty
15. The Raid (2011) #100
16. Mid, maybe Upper Fifty
17. Mid Pack
18. Upper Fifty
19. Mid to Upper Pack
20. Lower Fifty
21. Hopefully Places
22. Lower Fifty
23. Mid Pack
24. Mid Pack or Higher
25. A Royal Affair (2012) (One Pointer)

One Pointers Seen 7 out of 35 (20%)

Rectification List
86. 1917 (2019)
71. Ida (2013)

A few days behind here so I'll keep it simple re the last six:

Thumbs up to Knives Out, Hell or High Water, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, Easy A, Prisoners

They're all decent movies of varying degrees. I think I liked Knives Out and Prisoners the most.

Big thumbs up for Ida but it did not make my list.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

The Raid 2 was #38 on the MoFo Top 100 Action Movies
I couldn't locate this list, is there a link...

Prisoners is really good. Just watched it for the second time recently. Pretty great thriller.

I liked Easy A quite a bit. I watched it last year when there was the debate between that and Mean Girls. Emma rocks.

No votes from me.

Gonna watch Prisoners today. I WAS going to watch it before the deadline, but I couldn't find anything to make the top 5 so I quit, and after watching the Malcolm X trailer I went on that Spike Lee binge. Might continue it later since Tubi just added Crooklyn. By the end of today I'll have seen 18/32.
Oh good to know. I have never seen Crooklyn and its one of my sister's favorites.

By the way, could you guys stop voting in a 2.5 hour gritty drama that I haven't seen every day? I'm trying to catch up here.