CURRENT MOVIE CLICHES

Tools    

The truth is in here
I've noticed running jokes is a thing in comedies nowadays. It's always been present in them occasionally, but seems to be more so nowadays. Most of the time I don't think it's neccessary. Repeating a line that was funny the first time over and over doesn't make it any funnier, it's more like the opposite.
Even The Martian did this, where at first Mark's dislike of disco is mildly amusing, but when they still were using in the third act I was just going "Oh gimme a break, I get it already".

Whenever one character says to their counterpart something along the line of 'Remember, we are in this together'. Just saw it last night again...as if there was any doubt that the two characters are suddenly not in it together.

Rock music and action movie obsessed guy,
Cutting away to reactions for fights. Both Godzilla non-Toho films.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Another one you see in movies, such as Seven off the top of my head, is whenever a cop wheres a wire, they will hit it to test it to see if it's working. As someone who has wired people for sound before, that's not good for the mic, and doesn't really test anything.

One that just occurred to me after seeing it again, is why do guys always button their suit jackets when they sit up. Is that common?

It's common for gentlemen to unbutton their suit jackets while sitting in order to be more comfortable. Therefore when they stand up from a sitting position they re-button the jackets-- which is the way they were intended to be worn.

But like you, I've noticed that when an actor wants his character to be taken more seriously, or to seem more regal, he oftentimes buttons the jacket as a dramatic device.

Oh okay, I never really felt hardly any more comfortable unbuttoning it, but too each their own .

Then there’s the trope of the actress who doesn’t want to do nudity (which is fine) & who keeps half of her clothes on during sex.
I find it much sexier to take off my gfs clothes and her take off mine, rather than take off my own, but is it just me?

I find it much sexier to take off my gfs clothes and her take off mine, rather than take off my own, but is it just me?
There’s a question.

Another one that tickles me, and it's seen relatively frequently in the past few years: A suspect is being tailed or surveilled, but the car containing the agents surveilling the suspect is parked only 50 feet away. When the suspect comes out of the house or car, he looks around, but NEVER notices the guys watching him from the other car..

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I want so much to make a joke about agreeing with you on taking off your clothes or your girlfriends, but that would probably be inappropriate. So instead, I will just make this post as a tribute.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

A system of cells interlinked
Yeah I guess so, I don't recall seeing this in any movies, so not sure.
I was watching The Matrix the other night, and during the scene where Neo is plugged into the chair while Trinity watches him (I believe he is fighting Smith in the train station), at one point he gets hurt in the matrix and he coughs up some blood in the real world as a reaction. Trinity grabs a bandage and tears it in half before applying it.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Have you noticed how many car drivers in movies & tv keep looking at their passenger as they drive along for seconds at a time? I chatted with a bus driver today as we went along & he never once took his eyes off the road.
I read 5 pages wondering if someone had posted this point already
THIS ANNOYS ME TO NO END!!! Not you posting, but the character constantly pulling eyes from the road to the passenger. I mean for LONG spans of time, even during a rain storm. I always get thrown right out of the moment and wonder what the conversation must be during staging the shot because surely SOMEONE has to ask, "Hey. You know if I looked over for that long we'd run off the road and die, right?" Surely the actor, writing, or director is aware enough to question this. If not, then why not? Is there a union rule for this that actors must spend a minimum amount of time looking into other actors' eyes in recognition, else the studio gets a strike?

I was watching The Matrix the other night, and during the scene where Neo is plugged into the chair while Trinity watches him (I believe he is fighting Smith in the train station), at one point he gets hurt in the matrix and he coughs up some blood in the real world as a reaction. Trinity grabs a bandage and tears it in half before applying it.
Oh okay, interesting.

Another cliche is whenever a 'suicide' happens, and no one leaves a suicide note, or the note is unsigned, the main character thinks it's suspicious and that it's a set up. But it seems like a real reach to note have a note, or for the deceased not bothering to sign it in their desperate state of minds, seem like a set up.

Another one that tickles me, and it's seen relatively frequently in the past few years: A suspect is being tailed or surveilled, but the car containing the agents surveilling the suspect is parked only 50 feet away. When the suspect comes out of the house or car, he looks around, but NEVER notices the guys watching him from the other car..
Tony Soprano always spotted his tails a mile away. He would even drive out of his house & call to the feds in the parked car.

Another cliche is the whole you think the villain has just been killed but then he/she is still alive, and then is killed for real right after. It comes off as such a cheap gimmick though, especially in Fatal Attraction which just recently reminded me of the cliche.

In practically every horror/thriller movie saying "who's there?" when investigating a noise in the house.

I'd say the use of very shallow focus is becoming rather overused now. It can obviously be very effective but a lot of the time these days it feels like an excuse to not to anything else that interesting visually.

Oh, yeah. Ironpony, I hate when the villain appears to be fatally wounded and then, a short time later, reappears, only to be fatally wounded again. It's like the writer is giving us a second death scene in case we weren't happy with the first.