Virtual Reality used in Pre-Production [Spielberg & Pixar]

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
Hello, I'm a lost VR evangelist from Miscellaneous who has wondered into the Movie section. Thought y'all might find this intriguing

---

For pre-production on Ready Player One they digitally rendered the proposed sets so Spielberg could 'walk around them' & tweak them in VR, taking screengrabs and trying out camera angles while he was there. Skip to 50 seconds...

---

It seems Pixar have been doing something similar, getting whole teams to meet up amongst their latest designs, from Coco onwards.

“As we were building the experience, we were actually collaborating inside of VR, together,” said Henning. “You would have Pixar’s creatives and project leads walking around as skeletons with our creatives and project leads, all together, actually in the experience — them in Emeryville and us in Los Angeles — exploring the space together and making decisions natively in the medium, as opposed to just doing a video conference or a phone call.”

“We model it, then we drop the filmmakers in those spaces to get a feel for scale, design, and to start finding some of their camera shots that they might want to achieve,” said Sondheimer. “That’s new, for us, but it’s also very exciting, for sure.”

“I know that it’s something that they’re using now in our filmmaking — you get a production designer, a director, and the head of our camera department all in, doing a walkthrough of a space together, virtually,” added Sondheimer. “Coco VR unlocked that door, at least in three dimensions.”
---

Would be intriguing if this caught on. The utility for CGI animations is pretty clear, but getting a better feel for set design and uses in advance is a neat twist for big budget outfits.

---

For anyone confused about what the hell this is: The high end VR kits give you a pretty decent feeling of 'presence' even in a basically generated computer scene, with quite a cool sense of scale thanks to your mind using your own body as a 'measuring stick' for how big or scaled everything else is. Moving around the scene can be achieved via simple teleportation or more realistic 'walking' commands. Hand controllers are fairly intuitive for manipulating virtual objects, hence Spielberg with his handy camera, but can also be used to control virtual cursors and other more classical computer inputs to mess with the scene.

Those would probably be the main selling points for production applications. Getting a feeling for how something might appear on set, manipulating it, messing with potential and practical camera angles etc. And if you're working in digi animation, prodding and poking everything as a team

Man, that had to have been fun. I was thinking about things like this the whole time I watched this movie.