Recommendations?

Tools    

Here to learn. And judge silently.
I'm new to this forum, and I guess I'm looking to sort of broaden my horizons a little film-wise, so I was wondering if maybe I could get some recommendations?

I'm only 18, but I have seen and really enjoyed some older stuff - quite a bit of Humphrey Bogart thanks to an early in life obsession (favorite of his is The Maltese Falcon, along with The Big Sleep), most of the classic Universal Horror collection, a lot of Mario Bava (favorites: Black Sunday and Kill Baby Kill), some more classic horror stuff (The Exorcist, Carnival of Souls, Rosemary's Baby, The Omen, etc).

Some other movies that I really enjoyed are, aside from the Top 10 on my page, Heathers, Mud, Big Fish, Velvet Goldmine, Snowpiercer, the original Indiana Jones trilogy, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Howl's Moving Castle, The Social Network, The Dark Knight, Corpse Bride, Zero Dark Thirty, Hurt Locker, Black Hawk Down, Alien, Se7en, Romeo + Juliet...

I'm just looking for recommendations, something you guys think might add to my palette or expand my mind or some such cliche. I'm all ears!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
In the kitsch department it's great! Hammer flicks and Mario Bava are awesome! Now, naturally, you have to take one step further into the obscure kitsch and maybe watch some more giallo starting with Dario Argento. And spaghetti westerns starting with Leone and Corbucci. And Japanese pinku and exploitation flicks from the 60's and 70's starting with the films starring Meiko Kaji and Reiko Ike + Wakamatsu artsy pinku!

In the 'normal' department you're starting as any movie buff, from the best known mainstream flicks with some hints of arthouse. You have to start watching more artsy stuff by Bergman, Tarkosky and Bela Tarr. In case you don't want to go in this direction, go with Lynch (you can even call some of his films horror, although different from majority of the genre) and Kubrick (his films are must-see no matter if you like them or not).
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Can't go wrong with a bit of sci=fi...

Have to recommend my top 2 RoboCop (1987) and Dredd.

Other hard hitters in terms of lists are things like The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Saving Private Ryan.

Prisoners (Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhall) is a fantastic modern film.

Paul Verhoeven's filmography is a good place to go if you like gritty and "different from the norm". RoboCop, Starship Troopers, Hollow Man... his earlier stuff like Soldier Of Orange and Turkish Delight, plus others of his.

LOTR Extended Cut Trilogy are good for Cinephiles too. Takes 12 hours to watch all 3 of them.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
That is a pretty broad request! But since you seem to like quite a few films similar to the ones I like I will recommend you some of my favourites that I think have something in common with the ones you listed.

Blade Runner if you haven't seen it already. If you have, you can always watch it again. Also on the sci-fi/horror side of things I'd suggest Donnie Darko, 28 Days Later, Let the Right One In, Open Your Eyes and Interview With the Vampire.

For some interesting dramas, try The Royal Tenenbaums, Lost in Translation, Dancer in the Dark, Fight Club and Hedwig and the Angry Inch

For classics, how about The Sweet Smell of Success, Gone With the Wind, 12 Angry Men, Rope and It Happened One Night. Since you like Heathers I will also suggest Harold and Maude which has a dark comedy aspect.

Some foreign films to try: Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, Le Cercle Rouge, Underground, Farewell My Concubine and Oldboy

Hey Skivvy, good for you for wanting to broaden your movie horizons. I'm fairly new here myself and have learned a lot.

I don't have any specific movies for you. But I would suggest exploring different genres and types of films.
You'll find people have different interest here, some are into:

Foreign
Anime
Comic/action
Arthouse
Mainstream
etc.

So you can get good recommendations of what to watch, from fans of those genres/types.

Me, I like Golden Age Hollywood (1930-1960) and new releases that are Period Pieces or Indy films.

In the kitsch department it's great! Hammer flicks and Mario Bava are awesome! Now, naturally, you have to take one step further into the obscure kitsch and maybe watch some more giallo starting with Dario Argento. And spaghetti westerns starting with Leone and Corbucci. And Japanese pinku and exploitation flicks from the 60's and 70's starting with the films starring Meiko Kaji and Reiko Ike + Wakamatsu artsy pinku!

In the 'normal' department you're starting as any movie buff, from the best known mainstream flicks with some hints of arthouse. You have to start watching more artsy stuff by Bergman, Tarkosky and Bela Tarr. In case you don't want to go in this direction, go with Lynch (you can even call some of his films horror, although different from majority of the genre) and Kubrick (his films are must-see no matter if you like them or not).
I've been meaning to try Argento out, I've got a Tenebrae DVD sitting on my coffee table waiting for me, so that's definitely the kick I needed to actually sit down and watch it. As for spaghetti westerns, the only one I've ever seen is Once Upon a Time in the West, so I'll definitely delve further into that, and the Japanese pinku films (never even heard of them before now, so thank you!).

My only exposure to David Lynch has been Twin Peaks, so I'll check out his movies. And I suppose I should probably give Dr. Strangelove a try as well.

Originally Posted by Thursday Next
That is a pretty broad request! But since you seem to like quite a few films similar to the ones I like I will recommend you some of my favourites that I think have something in common with the ones you listed.

Blade Runner if you haven't seen it already. If you have, you can always watch it again. Also on the sci-fi/horror side of things I'd suggest Donnie Darko, 28 Days Later, Let the Right One In, Open Your Eyes and Interview With the Vampire.

For some interesting dramas, try The Royal Tenenbaums, Lost in Translation, Dancer in the Dark, Fight Club and Hedwig and the Angry Inch

For classics, how about The Sweet Smell of Success, Gone With the Wind, 12 Angry Men, Rope and It Happened One Night. Since you like Heathers I will also suggest Harold and Maude which has a dark comedy aspect.

Some foreign films to try: Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, Le Cercle Rouge, Underground, Farewell My Concubine and Oldboy
28 Days Later is one of my favorites! I haven't seen quite a few of those, so thank you! I'll definitely check those out, especially the classics since I haven't seen any of those other than Gone With the Wind (Mom's favorite. Sigh.)

Originally Posted by The Rodent
Can't go wrong with a bit of sci=fi...

Have to recommend my top 2 RoboCop (1987) and Dredd.

Other hard hitters in terms of lists are things like The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Saving Private Ryan.

Prisoners (Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhall) is a fantastic modern film.

Paul Verhoeven's filmography is a good place to go if you like gritty and "different from the norm". RoboCop, Starship Troopers, Hollow Man... his earlier stuff like Soldier Of Orange and Turkish Delight, plus others of his.

LOTR Extended Cut Trilogy are good for Cinephiles too. Takes 12 hours to watch all 3 of them.
RoboCop is awesome! So was Dredd, super underrated and totally amazing! I've seen Shawshank, Green Mile, and Saving Private Ryan. Haven't seen Prisoners or much of Verhoeven's stuff. I can't stand LOTR, though, as far as the books go, but I do like Peter Jackson a lot (I've got the Frighteners on DVD).

So I'll definitely give Verhoeven a try, Hollow Man looks cool! Thank you!

Originally Posted by honeykid
Your guidebook awaits.

I forgot to add, spaghetti westerns and film noir to my list up there.

There must be 100s of subtypes and generas of films. That's beauty of cinema it's like a giant smorgasbord.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
In this thread I posted my list of favourite spaghetti westerns. I've seen quite a few since, but I'm pretty sure what you have there is enough for the beginning.

For well acted and well made modern dramas, check out Paul Thomas Anderson. My personal favorite of his is There Will Be Blood, but just about all of his films are great. Boogie Nights is his most enjoyable film in my opinion, so I would start there.

Also, try some Kubrick if you haven't already. Since you seem to like classic horror, I would start with The Shining. But his other movies are great too. (Dr. Strangelove, 2001, A Clockwork Orange, Paths of Glory are my personal favorites)

If you want to see what foreign action films are like instead of just American action films (which I think are weak in comparison to foreign action films) I would start with John Woo. Try his older stuff from when he was making movies in China. Hard Boiled is great and so is The Killer.

If you like dark comedy, you should try the Coen Brothers. Particularly The Big Lebowski, Raising Arizona, and Fargo, which are some of the funnier Coen Brothers flicks (the others are still great, but certainly more serious and dark)
Also, if you like dark comedy, try Martin McDonaghs films. (In Bruges, Seven Psychopaths)

If you like dramedies, try Alexander Payne's films. (Election, About Schmidt, Sideways, Nebraska)

Also, try Scorsese. He appeals to almost all tastes.
Fire walk with me.

Maybe you would like a few more DiCaprio movies?

Catch Me If You Can
The Beach
The Great Gatsby
The Wolf of Wall Street
The Aviator

For well acted and well made modern dramas, check out Paul Thomas Anderson. My personal favorite of his is There Will Be Blood, but just about all of his films are great. Boogie Nights is his most enjoyable film in my opinion, so I would start there.

Also, try some Kubrick if you haven't already. Since you seem to like classic horror, I would start with The Shining. But his other movies are great too. (Dr. Strangelove, 2001, A Clockwork Orange, Paths of Glory are my personal favorites)

If you want to see what foreign action films are like instead of just American action films (which I think are weak in comparison to foreign action films) I would start with John Woo. Try his older stuff from when he was making movies in China. Hard Boiled is great and so is The Killer.

If you like dark comedy, you should try the Coen Brothers. Particularly The Big Lebowski, Raising Arizona, and Fargo, which are some of the funnier Coen Brothers flicks (the others are still great, but certainly more serious and dark)
Also, if you like dark comedy, try Martin McDonaghs films. (In Bruges, Seven Psychopaths)

If you like dramedies, try Alexander Payne's films. (Election, About Schmidt, Sideways, Nebraska)

Also, try Scorsese. He appeals to almost all tastes.
I've never seen anything PTA, to my shame. Well, other than the first like 20 minutes of Punch-Drunk Love, which bored me so badly I shut it off and rewatched Terminator 2 just to purge it form my mind. I'll check out some of his other stuff, though. There Will Be Blood does look good!

I've seen and adored the Shining! I need to watch some more of his stuff, though, I haven't seen all that much of it. I love the Coen Brothers, though, and In Bruges is great.

Also, everyone loves Scorsese. How can you not?

Originally Posted by romet6
Maybe you would like a few more DiCaprio movies?

Catch Me If You Can
The Beach
The Great Gatsby
The Wolf of Wall Street
The Aviator
I have no shame in saying that I am a devoted connoisseur of Leonardo DiCaprio movies. I've seen them all, own several, and have even sat through Critters 3. Hold your applause.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Citizen Kane is required movie viewing. Watch it, pronto!

You will probably love "A fish story" it is actually diffused on Super Channel. I also recommend you "Hansel and Gretel:Witch Hunters" for the horror side of your list

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”

One of my favorite sci-fi movies, featuring Sam Rockwell the human, instead of the typecast stuff he seems to have fallen into. Truly a masterwork made on a $5 million budget. I can write a page on this one...

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
I couldn't make it past the first ten minutes which were super slooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Maybe I'll try again sometime.

Lots of good old British films, some in black and white: The Man Who Could Work Miracles, School For Scoundrels (original), I'm Alright Jack, The Bells Go Down, The Hell Drivers, The Wrong Arm of the Law, Passport to Pimlico, Hey Mr Porter, and so many, many more.

Foreign films in English: Mr Hulot's Holiday, Taxi (French, not American rubbish) and Life is Beautiful. Everyone I have recommended LiB to has loved it.

Make a better place
I think I know what type of movies you are into

based on that I'll recommend two movies

Mystic River 2003

Dolores Claiborne 1995

I'm sure you've gotten your share of recommendations but I just want to say that I am very impressed that an 18-year old has shown interest in films like The Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep[/I. Most 18 year olds have no interest in films made before the year 2000 and wouldn't even consider watching a film made in black and white. You have probably gotten a lot of suggestions regarding modern films, so I would like to drop a few classic titles that might interest you:

All About Eve
Sunset Boulevard
Dark Victory
The Asphalt Jungle
The Little Foxes
Casablanca
Notorious
The Philadelphia Story
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
The Seven Year Itch
Bus Stop