Reviews from the Castle

→ in
Tools    

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
Here and there now and then, I have too much to say for a Movie Tab post. It doesn't happen that often, but I thought I'd start a review thread for when it does.

I'm not much practiced in writing full reviews at this point, but I'm sure I'll improve over time.

Here's the first

~To End All Wars~
(2001)

My lil sis picked it for Kiefer, who ended up having a substantial but somewhat small role. I'd like to say now that I am not familar with the true story portion of the story. This was a good movie that I didn't enjoy at all. This drama was straight drama and had a very documentary feel to it. There was little action and a bland script. But, the emotional impact is enormous. It consumed me from the very beginning.

The plot:
Allied POWs who endure grueling conditions in a Japanese camp in the early 40s. Based on a true story, the movie closely follows a handful of these men who are continuously tested and assigned to build a railroad through the jungle.

The acting was superb. All the men seemed to have really grasped their characters and the situation. Some scenes were engrossing. Robert Carlyle and Kiefer Sutherland are hardly the stars though. Their roles were impactful, but Ciaran McMenimin is the real lead. The direction shares equal glory in emotional value. I really felt a range of emotions while watching this one. The musical score even tugged at my heart strings. The message, "Forgive your enemies" could not be overlooked. Its power shows throughout the film.

However, the movie got more and more depressing as it went on. Granted, POW flicks are not where you go for a good time (except the exceptional Stalag 17 perhaps), but usually there is some element that keeps me from...feeling like my heart has been thrown into a gutter and stepped on. This movie didn't have that. Just when I thought things couldn't get more horrid, it did. Then, it continued to the rather unsatisfying ending. Even though the two hours didn't drag, I just wanted it to end.

Overall, it was good movie. I hadn't found something as poigant since Titanic. But, if I had never watched it, I wouldn't be sorry. There was too much sadness and the few uplifting factors couldn't compare to the gloom and darkness. If you can handle the emotional weight, it's a well told story and impressively acted, but if you feel you need a Prozac afterward, don't say I didn't warn you.