Extraordinary Measures

→ in
Tools    

Kenny, don't paint your sister.

All right, this is my first official review here, and so I hope it goes well.

Extraordinary Measures is based upon the true story of a father who turns to one research scientist at the hope of saving the lives of his young children. This medical drama isn't exactly out of the ordinary. The film naturally starts out on a sentimental note that helps you get to know the characters and feel some compassion for their difficult situation. A close call for one of the children draws you in quickly. This is when Joe Crowley (Brendan Fraser) realizes that if he wants his children to live, he has find a solution soon. Then, the plot really gets put into action when Joe recruits Doctor Robert Stonehill (Harrison Ford) to help him find a cure.

Because it's based upon a true story, I have difficulty evalutating the storyline. It makes for great entertainment, but it's rather predictable. The classic problem of big business and money-making verses what's right comes in here as they try to keep the funds coming in. Of course when there are sick children involved, we have to watch them get worse before they can get better.

The script is rather bland. There weren't any particularly memorable lines or dialouge other than a few promising bits of humor. Although it was well-written enough to be enjoyable, I don't think It will be winning any awards for a great screenplay. The direction went back and forth with me, and I think that it could've been much better. The director would choose a shot that I found rather poor, but then some techniques were used that I thought were rather promising. These were the lowpoints of the film.

However, the characters and performances are what drive this story. Brendan Fraser was the weak point in the cast in my opinion, and even he didn't give a poor performance. He seemed to get a little over dramatic, and I didn't find him entirely convincing at points. But he managed to capture the heart and drive of Joe Crowley. Harrison Ford gave extra personality to the character of Dr. Stonehill. Stonehill's a fiery, stubborn, and outspoken scientist. I loved it when he got to get really worked up in his heated debates with Fraser. The two did have excellent chemistry. Keri Russell's portrayal of Joe's wife was particularly strong.

What was equally, if not more, impressive than the stars' performances was the supporting cast. Every character was played beautifully. For example, the poignant performance of a fellow parent of a victim by Courtney Vance even struck me. The young actress who played Megan Crowley (Joe's sick daughter), Meredith Droeger, was in depth and sweet. My compliments to the casting director on this one.

Overall, Extraordinary Measures is a somewhat ordinary movie. I wouldn't say that it will go down in cinema history, but it is a touching story filled with terrific performances. Certainly worth the price of a ticket.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Just because something is "based upon a true story" doesn't mean that you should accept everything in the film as being true or not question the logic of characters' actions. Cinematic "true stories" get changed all the time to make them easier to tell and try to make certain characters seem better or worse than they are.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
This was a made for tv movie that got a theatrical release.

Suspect's Reviews

Extraordinary measures shows an unconditional love of parents and it is truly an incredible inspirational story about hope. I'm also checking the book where the movie was inspired..

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
Just because something is "based upon a true story" doesn't mean that you should accept everything in the film as being true or not question the logic of characters' actions. Cinematic "true stories" get changed all the time to make them easier to tell and try to make certain characters seem better or worse than they are.
I understand that completely. It's just that I am never familar enough with the true story (and maybe I should be) to evalute the storyline. For example, maybe there was a scene that seemed misplaced or unimportant, but they added it in there because it was part of the real-life story. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I still have difficulty evaluted a movie "based or inspired" by a true story.

Clearly this movie was too intellectual for the general public. Well acted, well directed and with a very powerful message. The movie shows to what lenghts good parents will go for their children. It also reveals the difficulty in placing a new well needed drug with the FDA. The message this movie reveals is the priority of costs by drug companies over the health concerns of individuals and families affected by rare diseases. Both Bryandon Frasier and Harrison Ford deliver powerful performances in this film. Its refreshing to watch a film and not have to sit thought the typical car chase or shoot-out.