Camo's Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

6.Chamber of Secrets:

This was a big hit to my childhood. I still liked it but i really loved this as a kid, i only read and watched the first four before falling out with the series; this was both my favourite book and film, sadly it went down quite a bit though. I had forgotten how long this film is and how it was structured, the part that always stuck in my mind was the moaning mertle/tom riddle/ginnie part; maybe this got alot more focus in the book and that's why i remember it being alot different, either way i was shocked at how short that part was. The film is still entertaining; the tom riddle part and all of the start before he gets to Hogwarts is pretty great, when he arrives though there's a whole bunch of boring **** before we get to the Tom Riddle part, and i don't know why exactly but the spider scene was pretty bad IMO, always thought that was great as a kid sadly it came across silly more than anything this time. Another thing is that this felt really similar to the first, made only a year after it the actors were about the same age and it's another pretty simple Hogwarts mystery.
Oh well still like it and i'm glad i know now why this is ranked so low by most.

5.Goblet of Fire:

This was the last one i'd seen/read before revisiting now. I only read it once and saw it once so i remembered next to nothing going in. All i remembered was that some sort of tournament was featured and that there was a dragon, i couldn't remember anything about the dragon tho i'm sure that's just me remembering the cover of the book. One thing i find silly about this is that anyone would doubt Harry about him not putting his name in the Goblet of Fire. Maybe the members of the other schools as they might not be fully aware of his history but everyone in Hogwarts especially Dumbledore, Snape, McGonagle, Ron and Hermoine know full well that Voldermort has a hard-on for him and that weird stuff follows him around. How their minds didn't instantly go to Voldermort is pretty silly, i think the status quo of everything happening to Harry would be hard to swallow if the whole Voldermort origin wasn't there but at this point it's well established. It's also abundantly clear that Harry is completely terrified and reluctant to go up when his name is called, Ron sees all of this and somehow still believes he is lying. I mean i know he's dim but jesus christ. It feels like very weak and unnecessary drama, it lasts about two scenes and really doesn't add anything other than making Ron out to be a shallow *******. The ball stuff did a good job of portraying the awkwardness of being a teenager and having to deal with stuff like that, i mostly just wanted it to end and get back to the tournament though as it wasn't that interesting for me. Think that dragged down my enjoyment of the film a bit. Those things make it a fairly uneven film for me but i think most of the tournament stuff is great, solid action and CGI for the most part it also helped that i couldn't remember most of it. As well as the Voldermort/Death Eaters revelations. I've always thought Voldermort looks a bit silly but still there's been so much build up that it would have been very hard to make his proper introduction unsatisfying. They did a good job of making him seem very sadistic and powerful. Cedric's death is also a great turning point in the series, there hadn't been anything as straight up dark in the series up to this point; half expected him to be brought back to life somehow glad they didn't go that route. The only thing i wasn't a fan of was the Moody stuff at thee end , i know it was a twist but it still felt underwhelming with yet another
new teacher being evil and David Tennant's crazy eyed performance was god awful, at least i enjoyed Moody throughout the film. Overall a solid yet uneven film.

4.Half-Blood Prince

This was very enjoyable. Think this could've went a place or two higher if i didn't already know stuff about it going in from hearing people talk about it. I knew Snape killed Dumbledore and i knew it turned out in Deathly Hallows that he wasn't actually bad. I didn't know exactly how it all happened but it still made it less effective. Was surprised that Dumbledore reveals Snape isn't actually bad and that it's planned in Half-Blood Prince: during his brief talk with him that Harry overhears Snape is clearly saying he doesn't want to do something and Dumbledore is saying he has to, not sure how else you could read that after he kills him.

This took a while to get going, not that much happens in the first hour. The Half-Blood prince mystery is interesting but my guess was correct right away, and some of the stuff that should have been great was fairly underwhelming. In particular the Dumbledore-Young Tom Riddle meeting, it was good to get the answer to whether Dumbledore knew how he'd turn out back then, other than that it wasn't great though. The love subplots were meh too, it makes sense that these are a part of the series now that they are 16 but i don't think they are done
particularly well and the goalie character who is into Hermoine was so bland. Hermoine being into Ron and him not realizing was pretty annoying too; you'd think at this point they'd stop portraying him as a moron but whatever. It wasn't all bad it just dragged the film down a bit considering how much of it there was. All of the stuff with Harry and Dumbledore wa great thankfully, Dumbledore's death was probably the most powerful moment up to this point. Solid.

3.Deathly Hallows Part 2:

This one was really entertaining, third best for me. It's basically a full film of the end of the quest/showdown half an hour or however long you got in the first six films. The story was just okay, but there was some solid action and it was always exciting.

I liked watching the snape flashback it was pretty powerful and stuff, it would be pretty difficult to not have figured it all out already though. Snape being in love with Lilly was obvious as he never says a wrong word about her while always badmouthing James: suppose James bullying Snape was thrown in to throw you off the trail but i always figured it was that, Snape being good and being ordered to kill Dumbledore was spelled out in Half Blood Prince when Dumbledore says "surely you aren't getting second thoughts". The only part was potentially new information was Harry having to die that wasn't hard to figure out either though, it's been obvious throughout the series that part of Voldermort was in Harry. Plus he doesn't even die, big copout. It also makes James look pathetic, unimportant and like an *******. One other random small yet important thing that annoyed me was Ron memorizing what Harry said in his sleep to be able to talk parseltongue. Yeah, sure the dude who in the last film was made to believe he had a wife remembers exactly what Harry had said in his sleep, way too convenient and not something that suits Ron. I suppose they made Ron do it so he played a big part which he rarely does, would have made more sense if it was Hermoine though. Not something that i care about but since it's imprtant, Ron and Hermoine and Ginny and Harry is probably the best couples for it to end up, not that i think either were done particularly well but whatever. One last great thing was Neville and Mama Weasley getting their moments; two of the best characters.

So yeah, pretty meh story and very underwhelming that Harry lived. Good action and excitement though makes it one of the best in the series.

2.Prisoner of Azkaban:

Oh my god, i'm baffled at how little of this i remembered. As i said i read and watched up to Goblet of Fire; everything else is new to me, this was the last one
i watched/read more than once so i thought i'd remember more. I mean alot of it did come back to me when certain things happened but the only things i remembered
was it was about Harry's godfather Sirius Black who is a werewolf falsely imprisoned in Azkaban although he's set up as the villian at first, i couldn't remember
what the story was there though and the only other thing i could remember was the magic bus. I forgot all about Peter Pettigrew, Lupin and the time travel, well
pretty much everything else too but those are major things that i'm surprised i didn't have a vague recollection of at least, funny thing was i laughed at the second
time Ron points out Hermoine appearing out of nowhere and still it didn't come back to me. I think this was a good thing though as i thought this was great. Not the
biggest fan of Cuaron: Y Tu Mama Tambien is his only other film i like, this works so well though. Lupin and Sirius Black are really great characters, the shift
to more outright dark and mature tone and themes is a welcome addition; i think a big part in this working is Ron, Harry and Hermoine being visibly older in it, it takes you out of the more childish former two. Not sure the story behind it but i think the extra year taken between Chamber and this worked out for the best. Great
direction from Cuaron; he really brought alot of the imagery in the book to life, and surprisingly good performances; i especially love Gary Oldman and David Thewlis. Very good film, deserving of its reputation i think. This was the best film in my opinion, although not my favourite.

1.Order of the Phoenix

Well, this was the first one i had not seen or read before. Surprisingly this was my favourite of the series, don't really hear it mentioned that often so i'm not sure of the consensus on it, i enjoyed it alot though. I don't think this is as well made as Prisoner of Azkaban but i liked this a bit more. Maybe it's because i hadn't seen this before, i don't think that played that big of a part in it though as i had forgotten most of PoA and also i didn't prefer any of the other
three i had not watched before. There's also a good chance that i benifited from not reading the book as i imagine a fair amount was cut out and condensed considering Order of the Phoenix is the longest book and this is one of the shorter films. The tone was so ridiculously creepy and sinister here i loved it. The very sweet and calm seeming Miss Umbridge coming across like a seriously in denial nutcase was great, the best face of a dictatorship. It's a simplistic take on it but i still think it was a good idea; controlling the media, education, how people live their lives, harsh punishment for deviating from accepted standards, was fairly well transferred to a wizard setting i thought. It was also a nice touch having the underground magic society; basically the rebels. The mystery doesn't always work for me in these films not because i think i've figured it out but i usually don't get that wrapped up in it, i did here though. I wasn't sure which would be worse the Minestry of Magic working with Voldermort, him controlling them or them just being in denial out of fear. On the face of it the first two seem worse but i don't know, them being so scared that they won't accept he's back and thus won't try to come up with a plan to fight him not to mention actively supress any attempts to do so is a massive endorsement of his power. They're basically burying their heads in the sand and hoping he leaves them alone and if not they are more or less accepting their fate without a fight. That's so creepy to me, especially because it could be read as them trying to peacefully (and forcefully) enjoy the rest of the time they have. Was so happy that they went with the scared/denial angle, i was heavily expecting a twist that he was controlling them.

All of the new creatures and characters introduced were good new introductions. One negative that actually has a positive is the CGI Giant; jesus christ that thing looked horrendous. Not sure if it would've looked good at the time but it's outdated now at least: Harry Potter was pretty notorious for basically being a year behind in CGI throughout though. It was a sweet scene which is the positive side of it, just wish it looked better. Good story developments too. Hilariously Harry's dad being a bully to Snape is the twist that worked on me the most in the whole series. Also enjoyed the finale, Dumbledore was badass, was good to see him properly fight finally. Plus Sirius death especially how quick it was worked well.

One thing i don't really get here is Harry not having said anything about Malfoys dad being a deatheater in the time between Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix. I mean i understand it's a wise decision considering how powerful he is as well as Harry's personal problems with him and his son potentially placing doubt on the accusation, i'd just expect Harry to have went to Dumbledore immediately without thinking and Dumbledore advising him not to for the time being. Harry taking it on his own initiative seems too wise for him, but then it could be part of him growing up and beginning to understand how the world works which would be a nice touch. I also
wouldn't be surprised if this was addressed in the book; say during the scene before Harry goes into his hearing he has a staring match with him, if that happens in the book i imagine Rowling might have went into it there and there's no way to do so in the film without creating an inner monologue which i'm glad they didn't do.

Anyway, storywise i don't think this one is all that important. They all add to the overall story of course but this felt like a pit stop between Goblet and the last two; it was more about the mindsets of every one dealing with his return using another MacGuffin with the Prophecy (well not exactly, it does have purpose but i'd argue it isn't that important overall) not all that much is added to the overall story. In the end though this was the one i enjoyed the most all things considered.

I have to return some videotapes.
I hate everything about Chamber of Secrets EXCEPT Lockhart. The rest of the series is great to me. I'd say Azkaban, Phoenix, and Pt. 2 are my favorites.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Holy Sh1t!

I dunno.

If anyone likes Harry Potter then lets do this!

@Camo

I haven't seen the Harry Potter movies yet, but I'm glad to see you posting here again. Are you staying?

@Camo

I haven't seen the Harry Potter movies yet, but I'm glad to see you posting here again. Are you staying?
There's a big part in the second one that is just a flood of spiders, and it's not even that well done it's just an absolute flood of spiders.

I'm with you in how awful it is!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
There's a big part in the second one that is just a flood of spiders, and it's not even that well done it's just an absolute flood of spiders.

I'm with you in how awful it is!

Thanks. I've heard that there are spiders in the second movie, and I've been warned by several people not to watch it.

I have all the Harry Potter movies on DVD, and I'll probably watch them eventually, but I'll probably skip the second movie.

Certified Copy

The dialogue in this was so natural, i really loved it; Binoche's performance along with it made this feel so real. It seriously might be my favourite script this decade. It didn't even matter what they were talking about it was how they were saying it and how they were interacting, it completely sucked me in. Binoche was perfect, wasn't on board with Shimel at first he reminded me of Richard Dawkins or something but i warmed up to him. I guess this was similar to the Before Trilogy and just like those films this did an amazing job of getting me to care about the characters and what happened. Great film.

Something crossed my mind when this finished then i just told myself i was being dumb and ignored it, later while reading some thoughts on this film i came to learn that it's a theory about the film. Only watched two Kiarostami films so far but i've read he is supposed to be known for the ambiguos nature of his films and particualrly their endings; that was indeed present in Like Someone In Love which is left with an unresolved ending and also has some other unanswered questions, the theory is seen as the main ambigous thing in this film. The film is about an unnamed antique seller and an author called James, at the start of the film at a book signing of his she leaves her number with his agent (or someone, can't remember who he was exactly) and he calls and meets her later leading to them spending the day together. For the first hour or so of the film there's no reason to think that they already knew each other before this, it completely feels like a first meeting then while sitting in a cafe while he's outside on his phone she has a conversation with a waitress who mistakes him for her husband which she doesn't correct, after this both of them act like they are a married couple (and that he's her kids father) for the rest of the film: in such an odd unspoken way as if they do completely know each other and have experienced alot together. It completely turns the
film into something else entirely.

Now, i'm definitely on the they just met side, i never really considered the other side a strong possibility but i did think that Kiarostami possibly wanted me to consider it, the thing is them just meeting is the much simpler answer yet it's still all weird as hell. First of all the main reasons i believe they had just met: the first thing was the kid, this would be his dad if the other theory was right and he clearly doesn't recognize him calling him "that man"; that can of course be explained with him leaving when he was too young to remember or while she was pregnant but i don't think that makes any sense at all. This isn't someone who is struggling, he is an author; clearly has money by the way he's dressed and his comfortableness with this expensive world; he goes nuts at a wine which is apparently not good enough for him even though she thinks it's fine and it is clearly a nice restaraunt; think this precludes it from being him not being able to provide for the child. He also just seems well adjusted there doesn't seem to be a reason from the way he acts that she wouldn't tell her child who he is, he is as she describes him: cold and a bit of an ******* at times but i don't think enough that she'd deny her child the right to see him. An explanation for this could be that they had a particularly rough falling out or he was a different person then and has since got his act together but if that was the case then i think that brings up bigger problems: those being why on earth does he have zero interest in the child. At no time does he ask about him or even pretend to be interested, surely if he was the father she'd not be happy at all about this and this would have all finished after five minutes as she is a frustrated yet obviously loving mother. As well as this there are various other conversations that point to this not being the case the biggest of which is the first big conversation about
her sister, he clearly has no idea who her sister is both by the conversation they have and the fact that he asks what her name is while signing his book for her, there's just no way he'd not even know the name of his sister-in-law. There's more but i don't think there's any point in going into them as i think this is clearly what it is, this whole theory would have to hinge on him somehow being in on the 'pretend we don't know each other' thing for the first hour of the film which could only be explained by her having told him to play along in the phonecall we don't see before they meet, but that is very, very dumb.

So i think i've made it clear that i don't in any way believe they were married and he was the father of his kid, but there are some pretty interesting things that made it briefly enter my mind and i guess what has sparked some discussion about it. There's one very small thing but in my opinion is a very big indicator that Kiarostami meant for this to be seen as even a small possibility. That's the shaving comment: during the cafe scene she mentions to the waitress that it is their anniversary and he couldn't even shave for it as he always says "i do it every other day.", later when they've just made up she strokes his face and says you couldn't even shave for my anniversary he then apologizes and says "it's a habit, i only do it every other day". Thing is there's no way he could have heard her saying that as first of all he was outside on the phone when she did and also it was in Italian; as mentioned he speaks English and French he doesn't know any Italian and those are the only times in the film that shaving is mentioned. I know it is a very small thing and it's not that out there of a thing for both of them to say, but this is during a big scene and the way he says it comes across as knowing, like a callback to a point of contention they regularly had during their relationship; it's probably the single biggest thing that points to these two already knowing each other just the way it's presented in both scenes. Another thing is just the idea of this meeting happening, it makes very little sense actually without a prior relationship you'd think she would have no interest in meeting him at all, and i think this is deliberate. During the scene with her kid he mentions having heard her say she hated the book, yet she wants to meet him...why? She does mention that she wants him to convince her yet they barely discuss the contents of his book, they very briefly do during a brief discussion about a statue but that's more like a couple of short comments so i don't think that matches up with her being so deadset on this meeting happening, and going out of her way to do so. Then what the hell is in this meeting for him? This is his last few hours in Italy before he heads back to England and he's willing to spend it with this random woman he has never met. And it's not as if there's some occupational relation that will make this meeting useful for him, she is the owner of a small antique shop not a critic or a publisher or whatever. Not sex either as he doesn't act interested in it at any time even though he could obviously have sex with her if he wanted to. It is really weird that this meeting actually happened basically and also she does everything so confidently as if she knows this meeting is 100% going to happen before she has even spoken to him. Then there's just the idea of them playing like they are a married couple; if they don't know each other then both are nuts and the weirdest thing about this film is that they both found each other. Both just completely slip into this married scenario and it's played like they were once married or they once had been a couple, he even says at one point while talking about a young newly married couple "we've both been through this and we know how it ended" when at no point do they ask each other if they are married. Actually that's another thing i just thought of, they never ask each other anything that two people who have just met would, no where were you born, where are you from, are you/have you been married, what age or you, etc, it's as if they just know all of this already. When this married thing just starts there's not a single moment that one or both of them act like this is weird, or find it funny what they are doing, it's completely natural they basically concoct a history on the spot with dates and locations and anecdotes like her falling asleep when she was driving from Florence back to Rome (another thing that he shouldn't know since the only time she mentions Florence before this is during the conversation in Italian with the waitress while she is outside) it so sounds like a thing that happened when their kid was young before he left. Lastly the last scene heavily points to them knowing each other, it's all about how this whole day was about them seeing if they could work if they could confront and deal with each others flaws, it absolutely doesn't feel right that they are speaking so openly and intimately about each others character traits after only knowing each other for a few hours.

Well that was nuts haha. I'm still completely on Team A but i love how there's so much to this film that i could write that much about two different nuts theories. Excellent film think i'm fine calling it a favourite on a first watch which is pretty rare with me.

@seanc what do you think?

Thanks. I've heard that there are spiders in the second movie, and I've been warned by several people not to watch it.

I have all the Harry Potter movies on DVD, and I'll probably watch them eventually, but I'll probably skip the second movie.
yeah, don't ever watch it. it''s a big mammoth spider that turns evil and sends its 'babies' after Ron and Harry, its baby spiders are of course 5 times the size of any actual spider so it will be horrifying i imagine.

Grand Illusion

My first Renoir. Oh my god, this was amazing. It's basically an anti-class/anti-war film on the eve of WWII which makes it fascinating on that alone yet i think it would've been great whenever it was made. Everything was just so well done. For example attempting to fit in a love story in the last 20 minutes was a crazy decision, as well as the short time given Marechal and Elsa are two strangers who don't even speak the same language and didn't really have any time alone due to Lotte and Rosenthal and yet it worked, it completely worked; was devastating and perfect. So glad it ended the way it did, thought it would end with their deaths, the slight hope that he'd make it back to her and yet we never know was just the best. This is all mostly due to the amazing screenplay and performances, and there's so much more. Might post more about this later as i'm still digesting this.

Make Way For Tomorrow

So glad both this and Tokyo Story exists. Love them both, don't think i'd pick between them as they are fairly diffent approaches. Both stories are simple and straightforward but i think Tokyo Story added a fair amount on, don't think the simple or more full approach is better it just helps distinguish between the two, they are both great. There's obviously cultural differences too of course, that was a big part of this i liked seeing how the American characters went about this. Such a powerful film, so many great touching moments. I choked up at the phone call "Good, to hear your voice Bark" , loved that what she was missing was being his wife; telling him to make sure he is eating well, wears a coat when he goes out, etc was sweet and sad. Something i like is that it's not completely one-sided, it's not just the evil kids completely neglecting their sweet parents, there's more to it than that. It of course plays a part but the main conflict is in the difficulty of getting on with your own emerging life being enough of a hassle that sadly looking after your parents does become somewhat of a burden. I think the film was fair, for example there was reasons to have problems with Ma outside of just she is old and getting in the way. The big one being her not telling Anita what Rhoda had been doing, as well as that whether deliberately or not she did make them feel bad sometimes for stuff they really couldn't help. It was completely fair to her as well with her being disliked at times simply for existing under these unfortunate circumstances that she really couldn't help, they were even straight up evil sometimes like Rhoda telling her to stop being in denial over Grandpa getting a job. That was well done as it was from Rhoda who is young making it believable that she wouldn't consider that she was putting it in an unneccesarily blunt and pretty cruel way even if she was possibly right, and also that she felt bad when she realized as she wasn't actually meaning to be malicious.

The last third was perfect, seeing them as a couple was the best they felt so natural together. They were amazing together, immense chemistry, one of my favourite parts was when they were arguing about whether they were married on a Wednesday or Thursday; they absolutely pulled off an old married couple dynamic.Great performances by both. And man that ending, loved how it seemed like the world went out of its way to give them a great what is most likely their final night together. Excellent film.

The end of Make Way For Tomorrow is the most perfect scene i've watched, and most likely will ever see.

I mean, we have never seen them together until now and it's so ******* perfect, .

I'm watching 30's films right now @mark f would love to get a message from you with some i should watch as i know the 30's is your favourite decade for film.

A Bittersweet Life -
-

Man, this was nothing like what i expected. Over the past few months i've watched a few similar revenge-action movies: The Man From Nowhere, I Saw The Devil and John Wick. All of them have a similar fearless, invincible, superhuman protagonist who always seems in complete control, usually they'll make a misstep somewhere which will cause the main tension/vulnerability in the film. This wasn't the same: Kim Sun-woo was pretty superhuman/invincible as a fighter but that's where the similarities end, he's completely useless with a gun taking several shots to hit everyone he attemps to shoot; the only reason the guns are an advantage to him is because apparently noone else in this film uses any. He was also not fearless, he was clearly severely affected by all of this and at various times is shown as completely terrified; vomiting and crying and shaking, exactly what you'd expect a normal person would be like in these situations but not what protagonists in similar films usually are. He was never in control, he was a complete amateur who made several mistakes and he probably would have been able to get away with a broken hand if it wasn't for his arrogance causing him to gain so many enemies. Even the fighting part isn't so clear cut when you consider his biggest moment was helped alot by his very stupid opponents, i think i can forgive Moon for not foreseeing him turning a phone battery into a weapon but why on earth didn't at least one person bring a gun, jesus everyone is aware that he's dangerous and will be angry and desperate, that would have ended things instantly; then the most ridiculous part: the dude in the car sitting watching Sun-Woo take out several guys for some reason deciding to exit the car as if he'd be the one to take him down instead of ya know running him over; throw in Baek allowing him a chance to recover from his stab wounds to play around with him instead of quickly finishing this dangerous person off. He also had no plan to speak of and said as much himself, he lucked into Kangs contacts still being usable before the word had been put out wide enough and he just strolled into the club to get to him. All of this played a large part in me liking this more than those other films though as this felt like it actually had stakes; i had no confidence in Sun-woo as a super action guy, everything felt like such a struggle; just pure hopelessness throughout. Was awesome, so glad he died there was no other way for this film to end and i would have rated it lower if he somehow survived.

The Earrings of Madame De...

My second Ophuls after A Letter To An Unknown Woman, seems like he had a knack for these grand and tragic forbidden romances, can't believe this even had a duel. Unknown Woman is one of my favourite films, this was very good too: amazing visuals and very good performances. The only reason it's not ranked a bit higher is a few problems i had with the story, some parts i loved but some bothered me enough to lower my score. Some of it was too sentimental, and my biggest problem was Donati having such a problem with her not telling the whole truth behind the earrings that he won't continue the relationship; didn't understand that at all. I very well may be missing something but if i'm not and it's simply about her lying then i find that a bit ridiculous, their whole relationship was a lie and while i'd understand him being hurt by it but for it to be enough to end something that is apparently that meaningful to him doesn't feel right to me, it undercut their relationship somewhat for me. Another thing is while i thought Charles Boyer was great i wasn't totally on board with Andres character, him being so calm about everything didn't ring true to me: i get that they didn't want to straight up turn him into a villain but then they more or less did that anyway with how cold of a person they made him and then i felt they were trying to illicit some sympathy from him at times which made it all confusing.

Still a very good film and i'm not entirely sure if it should be a 3.5 or 4 from me.

Song To Song

Man, i dunno. Found this tedious at first so i get the mixed reviews it's getting, i did end up getting into it tho and overall i'd say it's a beautiful film. Maybe me not having seen any of Malicks films outside of his first three made this feel like something new which played into my enjoyment of it; that's if it's even like his last few. Some of the narration was pretty eyeroll-worthy and for the most part it was just a standard relationship drama with good music on in the background and alot of Malicks usual random seemingly unconnected/pointless scenes placed here and there, all four main performances were very good though particularly Mara and despite how disjointed and distant it all felt i did come to care about what was happening in a very unusual way. Most of all i found it a very easy film to get lost in, beatiful visuals and music and just overall film.

Not entirely sure of my score, think i'd need to see it again somewhere down the line.

The Conjuring

Man, i tried. I've always refused to watch this but my gf wanted to so i gave it a try. Don't think it's bad i'm just completely unable to seperate my dislike of the Warrens from the film to enjoy it. I basically eyerolled the whole way through this as i find the real Warrens and their cases/claims ridiculous. It's a shame coz some of it was well done, the knowledge that i'm watching The Warrens took me completely out of the film though. I admit it's very dumb because i'd most likely have been able to accept this if it was different characters who were clearly inspired by them, but it's actually them and as silly as it is i couldn't really help it. Even if this wasn't the case this wouldn't have been a favourite, some of the acting wasn't great and it was mostly a standard haunted house film.

My favourite thing in the film was Ed starting to say "there's usually some sort of rational explanation" before being cut off, Carolyn having to beg the reluctant and skeptical Warrens to come. hahahahaha. Like that ever happened. Man there's so much more, just them being framed as demon experts which they actually claim is amazing. oh no. what is it? well rancid smells could indicate demonic activity. hahahaha. Could it now? This would have been better if i just took it as a comedy rather than try and get into it as a horror.

This is such a terrible film, i've thought about it since seeing it and yeah it's not me being biased against it it's just really, really, really, awful film. Like one of the worst films i'll ever voluntarily watch, so bad.

The Informant!

Really loved Matt Damon in this, there was some lulls though that made it a mixed bag despite how much i liked Damon's performance and his character. Not sure, it just felt a little lightweight to me; some missed opportunities i think. Can't really expand on what they were that was just the impression i came away with. An enjoyable film though. The one thing i really didn't like in this was the quirky music, i get what they were going for but i think one of the best things in the film was Marks character being so different from everyone else, that trying to match the tone of the film with the music used to Marks character took away from it somewhat for me. It's just that Mark already completely stands out; he's the odd, slightly dorky scientist who stumbled into the corporate world and dealing with the FBI, that made the film quirky enough so the music wasn't necessary and detracted from it somewhat.

The Revenant

Liked this quite a bit. The only thing that holds it back from being a favourite right now at least was the length, i don't think the film should have been any shorter; it's a long and horrific journey the runtime is fitting. I just don't think i was in the right mood for it as i basically checked out as soon as he met Hikuc before it grabbed me back in for the end confrontation. Still liked it quite a bit, Hardy was my favourite thing about it; really good performance.

I'm not positive i would have liked this anymore though. The main difficulty in making this story work (as it was largely fictionalized) was in making Hughs journey back interesting, i wasn't interested here but i'm putting it down to me not being in the right mood as he really don't think i was. Need another watch to be sure of what i think.

I'm so close to calling this terrible coz it kinda was but yeah,

I thought we had an imposter when I saw all those Hairy Pothead films. I haven't seen any of them and I'm not interested.

I will be watching those two 30's films you're creaming over, and I also have A Buttersweet Life on my watchlist.

I liked The Earrings of Madame De..., but like you said, it's not as good as Letter from an Unknown Woman.

Come on, The Conjuring is better than that!