Sexy Cineplexy: Reviews

→ in
Tools    

You guys ready to let the dogs out?
I'm a big fan of American Psycho, I think it's a very well done movie and a good social commentary on the shallowness of corporate America in the 80s. Btw, if I'm not mistaken Bright Lights, Big City was written by Jay McInerny who was part of the "literary bratpack" with Easton Ellis and co.

"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned."

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
I would say more, but I'm not really supposed to discuss Fight Club with anybody.

Really nice review, 5 out of 5 couldn't agree more, one of the best movies I have seen.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
i like Fight Club, but i think your reviews suffer a little when you really love the film in question. if that makes any sense.

Well -- I tried by letting you guys know that I have been bored by it before. That was supposed to signal that someone not interested in the material might be even more bored. Other than that, I wasn't entirely in the mood to write about it, but I felt that I wanted to say something since I had watched it and who knows when I will again?

Maybe soon, though. I really enjoyed it more this last time. I have a history with this film -- it's now been 10 years since I first saw it. It makes me think about a lot of things.

I thought it was mainly about expressing the uncertainty of what it means to be a modern male. The consumerism is just a symptom of that, an exploitation of the deep feeling of being lost, angst...

Women seem to like the movie too, more than might be first assumed. And for more than superficial reasons too. It feels geared toward the alienated masculine, but it's so powerfully on point and entertainingly told that it really resonates with anyone who identifies with the outsider.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Marla Singer is wonderful. Some other actress besides Helena Bonham Carter would have ruined that role and the movie -- Helena gives off the perfect balance of masculine, feminine, weird and underneath it all, normal. She would have a mind-blowing career portfolio if only she'd been in better movies - even if they're just better Tim Burton films. Women love this movie because of her, as well as Edward Norton and Brad Pitt.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
You guys have me thinking about gender and how it influences the movies we watch and what we relate to. I never think about these movies as guy movies that I like. They are just a type of movie that very much appeals to me. I always wonder in gender how much is really innate and how much is expected.

I don't know how much more I would relate to Fight Club if I were a man, but it's interesting to think about.

You guys have me thinking about gender and how it influences the movies we watch and what we relate to. I never think about these movies as guy movies that I like. They are just a type of movie that very much appeals to me. I always wonder in gender how much is really innate and how much is expected.

I don't know how much more I would relate to Fight Club if I were a man, but it's interesting to think about.
this reminds me of this article about women in film making up less than 1/3 of all movie roles that i read the other day, which is fairly interesting/amusing. it's somewhat relevant.

by the way, Sexy, i know Helena Boham Carter was not THE reason i like Fight Club. well, let me be more clear: i used to really love the movie back when it first came out, and it wasn't because of her character. i was about 17 when i got around to seeing it, and i think it was "the film" that got me really interested in movies and discussing them and really thinking about them. so it holds that special place in my heart. and it's not because i'm a rebel or i want to start a Fight Club or i was in love with Brad Pitt, it wasn't any of those things. i just thought it was well written, well shot, and entertaining as hell, and i wanted to know more about it. i must have watched the commentary a bajillion times.

anyway, i think it's the perfect movie for someone that's 18-years-old, male or female.

Yeah, I was 17 when I first saw Fight Club as well. I did watch the audio commentary before, but I think it was only just once. Wouldn't mind rewatching it to hear what they said about the film - I forget practically all of it now.

SC, i have to ask, what made you want to watch this? it definitely doesn't seem like the sort of thing you'd normally pick.

^ That and I had mentioned wanting to see it. I was very interested in Uncle Boonmee. I like foreign films just fine. It won the Palm d'Or and it had a weird story idea with ghosts and reincarnation and such. I just had no idea it was going to be so bad. I didn't go into this movie thinking it would be bad at all - I expected to be blown away. I was blown away, but for all the wrong reasons -- blown away at how shockingly awful it was.

Saw Garp at the movies when it came out people were raveing about it but i wasn't a fan of it back then

i kinda skimmed over this one because i haven't seen Drive yet and am going to soon, but the mannequin thing was erm... interesting.

I have never seen the TV show, 21 Jump Street, but I have a feeling this isn't a bad movie adaptation. It makes me interested in seeing the TV show now and I would love to see a sequel to this movie.
I can't say for sure, but from what I've heard about the film and what I've seen from the trailer, this is about as loosely connected to Jump Street as it's possible for it to be. The two main characters sound a bit like Hanson and Penhall (Johnny Depp and Peter DeLuise) with Ice Cube playing Captain Fuller (Steven Williams). It's about young looking police officers who are sent undercover to high schools and youth groups/gangs because of their appearance. 21 Jump Street was a church, but I think that's where the similarities are ending. Unless there are some cameos and/or familiar storylines included. It was a serious programme and was only shown over here on satellite tv. Needless to say, I loved it.

I'm going to give away two big spoilers for anybody who doesn't care, but it pertains to the movie and the TV show.

#1:
WARNING: "21 Jump Street" spoilers below
Johnny Depp and Peter DeLuise are in the movie and they play their old characters from the show.

#2:
WARNING: "21 Jump Street" spoilers below
Shockingly, they are shot and killed, apparently.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The two worst Halloween movies have to be the epic turd Halloween: Resurrection. When Busta Rhymes starts kicks Michael Myers' ass all over the place...

Also Rob Zombie's H2. What a horrid mess. Give me the Paul Rudd edition over these two.

I kinda dig Rob Zombie's Halloween II - and his Halloween, as well, though it's been forever since I've seen it. But I agree with you about Halloween: Resurrection. That's the worst one.

Halloween II, the Rob Zombie version, actually kinda reminds me of Halloween 5. The teenagers in both movies go to a Halloween party that takes place at a barn -- and I love how they dress like Rocky Horror Picture Show characters in RZ's Halloween II.