The Village

→ in
Tools    

The Village to me was a decent movie plagued by a horrible ending. I just don't get the whole concept behind there plan i mean i understand the reasoning for it but i just doesn't make sense to me. It is a really stupid idea. Also to me that Batman teaser didn't even impress me.The trailer that impressed me the most was The Forgotten..........pretty freaky stuff.

I give The Village an 6/10

The best part of this movie was the credits this was not scary.

3 out of 10

Radioactive Spider Blood
I'm sorry if anyone said this already, but from what I can tell no one did....

WARNING: "The Village" spoilers below
One of the things I thought was odd before the ending came was that there were no African-American people in the movie. If it was really supposed to take place in the 1890s, there would most definitely be some sharecroppers at least. Even though slavery had officially ended, institutions similar to it popped up. But then again, had there been black people with equal status to the whites in the village, we all would have thought it was a little fishy... since it wasn't like that until the late 20th century.

"Chances are, if your parents didn't have any kids, then you won't either."

Your Puuuur-fect Movie Companion!
I just saw The Village yesterday and I thought it was a masterpiece! Exceeded my expectations that came tagged with Signs. It's a beautiful love story, and stacked with underlying implications (not about 9/11 though). In fact I have an uncle who hides his children in their house all the time, telling them bad things about the world, and showing them only specially censored children's movies from video tape/video cd (they tuned the tv in such a way it will not receive regular programs). When I do meet my cousins, they speak as if they're not from this world - kinda reminded me of the encounter that Bryce had. So it gave the movie extra flavour for me.

btw jungerpants, initially I assumed that they came from the 19th century myself - till towards the end when they pulled out a picture of the village elders, and they were in 60s clothings in front of a modern day counselling centre. Perhaps the ancient clothings was part of the farce. I only wonder how they managed to maintain their materials for so many years despite living in such a small area ie. pots, pans, spoons... metallic stuff that you do not get from the forest

"Never let a dog pick what you watch."

The Adventure Starts Here!
I kinda thought the same thing, Kittie. In fact...

I thought, "If you're having Ivy go all that way, ask her to bring back toilet paper too."

Oh one thing I wanted to ask you guys...
Why did the forest ranger not take her in his car to a hospital or something... and why did he not report the sighting to his boss? The weirdest thing is that Ivy didn't even tell him not to tell anyone about her presence, but he assumed he should keep it a secret.

I thought this was more of a mind boggler than the number of children in the village. People living in a reserve with no form of entertainment will resort to making love. And btw, you do not find condoms in the middle of a forest.

If you read between the lines too much you may miss the lines all together.

film making extraordinaire
Originally Posted by thankyoucomeagain
The best part of this movie was the credits this was not scary.

3 out of 10
wasnt supposed to be a scary movie...shyamalan said it was more of a love story, you like many others were misled by the trailer. Appreciate the movie for what it is, good creative story, with very good directing and acting

A lot of you arent paying attention. The land rover that pulled up had WALKER WILDLIFE PRESERVE on it. who was the main elder(the professor from penn university who "had the idea"), i dont know, was his last name.... WALKER(daughter being ivy walker). This means he started the reserve, and hired people to take care of it, meaning some people taking care of the reserve probably know the secret, but dont talk about it (when i mean taking care of, i mean protecting the borders like they mentioned in the movie). This also brings possibilities for some supplies to be brought to them. As for the love making thing, by kitty, these kids were brought up with innocence, they havent been strongly effected with a culture to act in such a manner.

If the forest rangers knew about the place and were helping to keep the place a secret, then why did the ranger who bumped into Ivy look so surprised/bewildered/shocked? He had to get her to repeat that she was actually living in the reserve a few times before he could swallow the truth. Obviously he knew nothing about Mr Walker and his family. But now that you say it, I admit I didn't notice how the reserve was under Walker's name. It makes somewhat, but the forest ranger's reaction doesn't tally - that's all.

As for the second point, there's a thing called doors 'ya know If the kids are off in the fields and in schools for most of the day, then what are the parents doing at home (besides sewing or chopping wood)?

THE KNIFE!!! again, did anyone else notice it?

Originally Posted by wafflepunk
THE KNIFE!!! again, did anyone else notice it?
It looked like a pretty normal knife to me. I don't think it was any sort of giveaway.

As for the "we have so much free time so let's all screw like bunnies" theory ...

1. They have entertainment. Musical instruments, reading, dancing, social events.

2. They probably don't have time for much more than that. Do you realize how much harder it is just to subsist in pre-technology times? Without a Walmart, it takes you all day just to do the basic chores of life. You don't have the time or energy by day's end.

3. These people are trying to maintain their innocence on *all* levels. Note in particular how Walker purposely reins in his feelings for Mrs. Hunt. There is a sense of right and wrong about such behavior that does not exist in our current culture.

Originally Posted by KittyJunkie
If the forest rangers knew about the place and were helping to keep the place a secret, then why did the ranger who bumped into Ivy look so surprised/bewildered/shocked? He had to get her to repeat that she was actually living in the reserve a few times before he could swallow the truth. Obviously he knew nothing about Mr Walker and his family.
Not all rangers have to know the secret. There is something to be said for keeping the secret under wraps as much as possible. The guys lowest on the totem pole don't need to know much. It seems clear to me, though, that Night's character *does* know the secret and he's trying to communicate that to his underling when he comes into the station.

As for the Walker Game Preserve, yes, I think that's crucial. Walker tells Ivy during his revealing the secret that his grandfather was hugely wealthy. Hence ... there would have been money there to start this project and keep it secret. Money does wonders in such situations, I'm sure.

A system of cells interlinked
Strange, many folks are acting as if finding out the time period was a surprise. At the beginning of the film, the headstone clearly says 1990-1997. All the people I was with watching knew it was the present the whole time. I didn't even think it was supposed to be an issue....

[EDIT]Wow, someone signed up on MoFo just to attempt to give me bad rep for this post. What an asshat. Another fool that didn't read the rep rules....[EDIT]

Originally Posted by Sedai
Strange, many folks are acting as if finding out the time period was a surprise. At the beginning of the film, the headstone clearly says 1990-1997.
I noticed this the second time saw the movie.The first time some fatarse was standing in my way

To me it was quite obvious people other than the elders new about life outside the village.They just assumed that all people were bad in the towns.Thats why Ivy told Kevin the Ranger he had kindness in his voice and did not expect that.It is quite obvious that MR Walker bought the land and turned in into a nature preserve with the billions he received in his inheritance.He also,if you remember what M. Nights character tells Kevin,paid off the government to not allow air traffic over the preserve.M. Nights character IMO does not know of The Village in the preserve,he just has very specific instructions how to maintain it.This is why Mr Walker tells Ivy that she must tell no one that they are there.It must be a secret only known by the villagers themselves.

I believe M Nights message in this film is the decline of civlization of the modern age.These people were all victims of terribly tragic events and were just disgusted with life as they knew it and simply wanted a simple life,free from all the heartbreak they suffered.Unfortunately,as they found out,there is evil in the most innocent of places.
Legends of the Fall
BraveHeart
American History X

Originally Posted by Yoda
It looked like a pretty normal knife to me. I don't think it was any sort of giveaway.
Why didn't anyone else see this? It was a serrated edge military-style survival knife. Dead give away.

Lets put a smile on that block
Just watched The Sixth Sense. You cannot fault Halley Joel Osment in that film...perfect casting and acting. Toni Collette (sp?) is pretty darn good too.

"Goodnight Malcolm..."

My appetite is well and truly wet, roll on next week.

Spoilers tags, people. C'mon; most of ya'll know better.

Originally Posted by wafflepunk
Why didn't anyone else see this? It was a serrated edge military-style survival knife. Dead give away.
It was nowhere near a "dead give away." The knife was not particularly modern looking. It's only supposed to be a century ago; they had guns, for crying out loud. Why couldn't they have knives with notches in them?

Did anyone notice the spoon?!?!?!?