Marvel

Tools    

Does any one thing marval are killing the comic book hero's by makeing films of all the action hero's?

I ate all your bees.
With the exception of Hulk which was horrid, I say no. Most of the Comic book adaptions are as faithful to the comics as they can be and were it not for the Movies Marvel would be in a lot of trouble. From what I heard the company was going down hill until Spiderman and Xmen came along.

i agree with sidewinder. Xmen, X2, spiderman and spiderman 2 were great but i didnt like the hulk of daredevil.

I ate all your bees.
Yeah I forgot about Daredevil, that too was bad.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by save charles manson
Does any one thing marval are killing the comic book hero's by makeing films of all the action hero's?
Comic sales are through the roof. The films have only generated interest as far as I can tell. Marvel comics is doing extremely well right now as a company, with sales on titles like X-men and Spiderman higher than ever. So high in fact, that film and TV writers are starting to jump ship for permanent gigs at Marvel:

J Michael Stracznski (Babylon 5) - writes Amazing Spiderman

Joss Whedon (Buffy TVS, Angel, Firefly, Alien Ressurection) - Writes The Astonishing X-men

Bryan Singer (The Usual Suspects, X-men, Apt Pupil) - is currently writing a 12 issue arc for the X-men.

Just to name a few.

I think the quality of the writing and artwork will only go up (along with the price I'm sure) in comics in the near future, with Marvel raking it in.

Originally Posted by Parky
Why does everybody hate HULK? I thought it was excellent.

A variety of reasons.

- The multi frame editing techniques were way overused and made me feel as if I was watching the intro to the MTV video music awards.

- Weak lead

- The father/son psychobabble between Bana and the ridiculously overwrought character of Nolte's was unbearable! (I was wishing for a cable to bite through)

- Same with the father/daughter "rift" between Elliot/Connelly.

- The ending blew (well, I liked it, because it meant the film was over, but it was terribly written).

- Ang Lee's hand was all over this film, like all his films, and he is just too 'in the way'.

The Hulk is a pretty good character, but the concepts are all about the inner struggle a person has with the angry beast in all of us. Attemping to warp the ideals into some mamby-pamby parent/child issue just stank.

My opinion only of course

Radioactive Spider Blood
You know what would be a cool Marvel movie?

Cable

For those of you who don't know, Cable is the son of Jean Grey and Scott Summers (aka Cyclops) sent from the future. When he was born he had a disease that could could only be cured if he was sent into the future. He was, and then came back to "our time" as an adult. He's a powerful telepath who carries around big guns.

The movie could probably get made without including the X-men in it too much, although if they want to keep story lines straight they won't be able to do anything until Jean comes back from the dead in X-3.

"Chances are, if your parents didn't have any kids, then you won't either."

I ate all your bees.
Originally Posted by jungerpants
You know what would be a cool Marvel movie?

Cable

For those of you who don't know, Cable is the son of Jean Grey and Scott Summers (aka Cyclops) sent from the future. When he was born he had a disease that could could only be cured if he was sent into the future. He was, and then came back to "our time" as an adult. He's a powerful telepath who carries around big guns.

The movie could probably get made without including the X-men in it too much, although if they want to keep story lines straight they won't be able to do anything until Jean comes back from the dead in X-3.
Yeah Cable sounds cool, or Deadpool!

Is that the case with mutants, if two mutants like Jean and Scott have babies will the baby always be a mutant?

I am an avid collector of comics, unfortunately I have not bought a new comic in about 10 years. Strange I guess, but I used to chew my nails waiting for a new comic to come out. The price and the "world ending", life changing" aspect of every comic I see on the stands now just turns me off.

I love comic books, truly I do. Most of today's comics are not "comic books" they are just commercial crap. Sorry, but thats how I feel. The movies have revived a little of my youthful enthusiasm, but lets get back to the everyday life of a superhero vs. the "the worlds gonna end" every issue thing. Maybe I am just being old fashion, but I love comics, too bad most of the issues from Dc, Marvel, Dark Horse, etc... after the mid 90's are garbage. That or I am too poor to pay $2.00 an issue(how much are they now?) for great art but poor plot garbage.

I ate all your bees.
Originally Posted by 7thson
I am an avid collector of comics, unfortunately I have not bought a new comic in about 10 years. Strange I guess, but I used to chew my nails waiting for a new comic to come out. The price and the "world ending", life changing" aspect of every comic I see on the stands now just turns me off.

I love comic books, truly I do. Most of today's comics are not "comic books" they are just commercial crap. Sorry, but thats how I feel. The movies have revived a little of my youthful enthusiasm, but lets get back to the everyday life of a superhero vs. the "the worlds gonna end" every issue thing. Maybe I am just being old fashion, but I love comics, too bad most of the issues from Dc, Marvel, Dark Horse, etc... after the mid 90's are garbage. That or I am too poor to pay $2.00 an issue(how much are they now?) for great art but poor plot garbage.
I used to get comics, I started up again today as a matter 'o' fact. I bought 'Deadpool and Cable' a new ongoing serious along with Astonishing X-men another new ongoing series (which co-indecently is having its first 12 issues written by Joss Whedon, creator of buffy) Both are looking promising.

they should bring in Juggernaut into the next Xmen movie.

Radioactive Spider Blood
Originally Posted by kikyr
they should bring in Juggernaut into the next Xmen movie.
I dunno. I think it would be too confusing to try and explain the whole Crimson Gem of Cytorak (sp?) deal. And he's not really a mutant, so it complicates things a bit.

Originally Posted by 7thson

I feel the same about the world ending thing, but there is actually quite a bit of good material out there. Check out Planetary by Warren Ellis, Very smart, and very original.

what about the not so well known ones like the puniser or blade?
before the film came out they where never heard of

Originally Posted by save charles manson
Wabout the not so well known ones, like the Punisher or Blade? Before the film came out they where never heard of.
Right, they were never heard of. Good point. Unless, you know, you read comic books.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I even collected Archie and Richie Rich in my younger days. The Punisher actually was a well known comicbook character at least back then, even by those who did not collect them. Nick Fury, Powerman and Ironfist, Power Pack, etc... the re will always be a character or group of them that someone has not heard of, does that mean they would be a bad idea for a movie? Nah, at least not to me. I really, really, really would love to see a good movie about the Silver Surfer, yeah he is fairly well known, but the idea seems a bit corny to alot of people I mention it too. Oh well maybe we could at least get one with sayyyyyyy....Aquaman.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing them turn Thor or say like Iron Man into a movie. I would probably see those ones.

The Reaping 7/10
Transformers 8.5/10
Flight of the Living Dead 6/10
The Invisible 6/10
Return to House on Haunted Hill 1/10
Planet Terror 8/10
A Mighty Heart 7/10

Radioactive Spider Blood
Iron Man is becoming a movie. No real details out on it yet, but it's listed on IMDB.