2022 Film Challenge

Tools    

So what countries do you guys plan on choosing for nightmare mode (We’re not in Kansas anymore…)?
I was going to see what kind of collections the Criterion Channel has up, and then go from there. That's also how I usually pick my directors.

The trick is not minding
I was going to see what kind of collections the Criterion Channel has up, and then go from there. That's also how I usually pick my directors.
I’m going to have to eventually subscribe to this. I’ve been wanting to for some long.

I’m going to have to eventually subscribe to this. I’ve been wanting to for some long.
I think they might offer a trial? You'll get a sense really quickly if you like it or not. I think that the depth of their collections is amazing and the films look amazing, especially if you've suffered through some of the wretched prints on services like Amazon or Tubi.

Criterion Channel is fantastic. It's my favourite streaming service. Just this year alone, I have watched 11 films on the Criterion Channel.

The trick is not minding
I think they might offer a trial? You'll get a sense really quickly if you like it or not. I think that the depth of their collections is amazing and the films look amazing, especially if you've suffered through some of the wretched prints on services like Amazon or Tubi.
The volume of films available would be enough to win me over. As for the quality, I don’t see too many issues really, but I like my older films slightly grainy I guess.

The trick is not minding
I chose Takashi Miike for my director this time, because A) Tubi has 13 of his films available to stream, and B) I’ve barely touched his rather lengthy filmography.
He’s been hit or miss for me so far, and after watching Harakiri: Death of a Samurai, I found it slightly weaker than the original. Hoping his other films are better. But even if they’re not, I wouldn’t consider it a waste of time.

Chose Harold Lloyd as my actor because I bought myself a nice Box Set with many of his films being feature length. So I’m set there.

Chose Cannes as my awards because I’ve done The Oscars 2 years in a row and decided for something different.

Chose Giallo as my (sub)genre for obvious reasons. Already watched Bay of Blood, and man was I surprised by how much Friday the 13th part two cribbed from it.

Went with the 1920’s as my decade because I’ve wanted to dig further into the silent era lately.

And finally, went with films directed by women from the MoFo lists because there were so many available to stream and I’m behind on the list anyways, surprisingly.

I chose Takashi Miike for my director this time, because A) Tubi has 13 of his films available to stream, and B) I’ve barely touched his rather lengthy filmography.
I find Blade of the Immortal incredibly entertaining.

He’s been hit or miss for me so far, and after watching Harakiri: Death of a Samurai, I found it slightly weaker than the original. Hoping his other films are better. But even if they’re not, I wouldn’t consider it a waste of time.

Chose Harold Lloyd as my actor because I bought myself a nice Box Set with many of his films being feature length. So I’m set there.

Chose Cannes as my awards because I’ve done The Oscars 2 years in a row and decided for something different.

Chose Giallo as my (sub)genre for obvious reasons. Already watched Bay of Blood, and man was I surprised by how much Friday the 13th part two cribbed from it.

Went with the 1920’s as my decade because I’ve wanted to dig further into the silent era lately.

And finally, went with films directed by women from the MoFo lists because there were so many available to stream and I’m behind on the list anyways, surprisingly.
Some interesting choices, looking forward to the results.

As for Miike, he's made so many films that you could probably knock out a bunch of categories just with his output. 10 from one director, 10 from one country, 10 foreign language, etc.

The trick is not minding
Some interesting choices, looking forward to the results.

As for Miike, he's made so many films that you could probably knock out a bunch of categories just with his output. 10 from one director, 10 from one country, 10 foreign language, etc.
Thanks you. I try to mix up genre/decades/countries as much as possible for these to make sure I’m covering a lot of bases.

It is both exciting and overwhelming at the same time.
I may have a problem haha

Thanks you. I try to mix up genre/decades/countries as much as possible for these to make sure I’m covering a lot of bases.

It is both exciting and overwhelming at the same time.
I may have a problem haha
I'm also a Lloyd fan. I'm assuming we have the same box set

Eventually settled on Mexico. Mostly went with what’s available and that I haven’t seen yet. Also a nice mix of some older films.
I don't remember if you're into horror, but let me suggest some Carlos Enrique Taboada like Poison for the Fairies or Even the Wind Is afraid. The availability can be an issue, unfortunately. Another superb older Mexican horror is Alucarda.

The trick is not minding
I don't remember if you're into horror, but let me suggest some Carlos Enrique Taboada like Poison for the Fairies or Even the Wind Is afraid. The availability can be an issue, unfortunately. Another superb older Mexican horror is Alucarda.
Oh, I’m into horror big time. I’ll keep an eye out for these recommendations, thanks. Especially Poison for the Fairies, as I’ve been interested in that one since you nominated it for a HOF.

The trick is not minding
Hmmm. Need opinions here. For Soviet Montage, Alexander Nevsky (1938) came up in the search list, even though it’s a five years after the stated time frame.
I’m going to watch it regardless, but I’d like to know if it actually is a part of the movement before I count it for that particular category.
It is directed by Sergie Eisenstein, who had been famous for the movement.
Edit: It appears that a few people on letterboxd also included it in the movement, so I think it’s safe to say it is.

Hmmm. Need opinions here. For Soviet Montage, Alexander Nevsky (1938) came up in the search list, even though it’s a five years after the stated time frame.
I’m going to watch it regardless, but I’d like to know if it actually is a part of the movement before I count it for that particular category.
It is directed by Sergie Eisenstein, who had been famous for the movement.
It's pretty great so you should watch it anyway, but I don't associate it with montage so much. Been a few years though so I could be wrong.

The trick is not minding
It's pretty great so you should watch it anyway, but I don't associate it with montage so much. Been a few years though so I could be wrong.
Yeah, I’m going to watch it regardless, just wanted to be sure if it is or not.
I noticed a few people have also included it on letterboxd as part of the movement. I’m not very familiar with the movement, as Battleship Potemkin is the only film I’ve seen from it, so opinions are appreciated.

Oh, I’m into horror big time. I’ll keep an eye out for these recommendations, thanks. Especially Poison for the Fairies, as I’ve been interested in that one since you nominated it for a HOF.
If you have a high tolerance for cheesy old stuff, I can recommend The Bloody Vampire and its sequel Invasion of the Vampires
(Mexico)

Yeah, I’m going to watch it regardless, just wanted to be sure if it is or not.
I noticed a few people have also included it on letterboxd as part of the movement. I’m not very familiar with the movement, as Battleship Potemkin is the only film I’ve seen from it, so opinions are appreciated.
It's possible that Nevsky is more montage-y than I'm remembering but I don't think that's the case. I've seen it many times over the years.

The trick is not minding
It's possible that Nevsky is more montage-y than I'm remembering but I don't think that's the case. I've seen it many times over the years.
From I’ve read about it, avoiding spoilers, it’s listed as not central to the montage movement, which seems to imply it is considered a part of it, but not an important one. I’ll decide more firmly once I watch it this weekend.