Things that annoy you...

Tools    

I don't know exactly if this is something that annoys me, but I don't know where else to say this. People need much easier access to pain medication. Many medical care professionals treat people who need pain relief like addicts and it is not ok. I wholly understand the issues of addiction and prevention because it's an issue that has deeply touched my life, but people who need it have got to have it. 2 of the 3 times I have been to the ER since May have been because of extreme pain. 1 time was because I had a gallstone stuck which caused a blockage, and I felt like I was exploding from the inside under my sternum. This last time was because of a simultaneous kidney stone and infection that made my side feel like it was going to explode. Each time I suffered on the way to the ER, then suffered for hours while they checked and verified me before giving me temporary relief. I then had to suffer more while waiting to be able to see my Dr, convince him I needed it while he gave me tests and reviewed previous tests, and then wait until it was ready at the pharmacy and my wife could pick them up. Each time I suffered nonstop day and night, unable to work or even sit or lay in 1 place for more than 5 minutes at a time. It is bullshit, and my pain probably pales in comparison to people with more serious health issues or sustain certain injuries. This is not something that people think about until it happens to them, which is probably inevitable. I now look at my pain medication as more valuable than gold, and I won't go anywhere for more than 15 minutes without having it with me just in case. There should be a medical/government program, where when people reach a certain age, they should be allotted a certain amount of prescription pain medication to have on hand for a just in case basis. With the resources that are available, there is no justifiable reason for responsible adults to have to needlessly suffer.
I can relate to this. I've had doctors accuse me of "drug seeking behavior".

So I ask, "Okay, I bring in a bottle of something you prescribed to me months ago that helped and ask if I can get it again. So, yes, obviously I'm 'seeking drugs' - that's why I'm here. That's why most people go to a doctor - to hopefully find a treatment for their pain or a solution to their problem or to get a refill on something that's helped. So the majority of people who go to the doctor looking to leave with a prescription are drug addicts?"

Once I saw my Dr. because I'd aggravated my herniated discs in my back by stepping off a ladder (not realizing there was one more rung before the floor). She says, "I've heard this ladder story from you before." I said, "Excuse me? I've never come here saying I misjudged stepping off a ladder before... probably because I never fell off a ladder before." She starts flipping through my chart searching. Finally she says, "Oh, I can't find it. I must have confused you with someone else."

The whole accusation came from the fact that I was asking for pain killers I'd gotten for my back before. Yet, even after she realized & admitted she made a false accusation to me, she didn't apologize and continued to act like I was trying to deceive her somehow (even though her entire suspicion at the start was derived from her own erroneous accusation & faulty memory).

I've also tried to explain to doctors that I don't NEED the medication everyday, but that it's like a spare tire. I want to have it on hand if or when I suddenly become incapacitated. I'd like the ability to become recapacitated (or at least cope, or start back on the road to recovery as quickly as possible) rather than find the medicine cabinet is bare (and there's a 2 week wait for an appointment). But they interpret the spare tire analogy as "drug seeking behavior."

I can relate to this. I've had doctors accuse me of "drug seeking behavior".

So I ask, "Okay, I bring in a bottle of something you prescribed to me months ago that helped and ask if I can get it again. So, yes, obviously I'm 'seeking drugs' - that's why I'm here. That's why most people go to a doctor - to hopefully find a treatment for their pain or a solution to their problem or to get a refill on something that's helped. So the majority of people who go to the doctor looking to leave with a prescription are drug addicts?"

Once I saw my Dr. because I'd aggravated my herniated discs in my back by stepping off a ladder (not realizing there was one more rung before the floor). She says, "I've heard this ladder story from you before." I said, "Excuse me? I've never come here saying I misjudged stepping off a ladder before... probably because I never fell off a ladder before." She starts flipping through my chart searching. Finally she says, "Oh, I can't find it. I must have confused you with someone else."

The whole accusation came from the fact that I was asking for pain killers I'd gotten for my back before. Yet, even after she realized & admitted she made a false accusation to me, she didn't apologize and continued to act like I was trying to deceive her somehow (even though her entire suspicion at the start was derived from her own erroneous accusation & faulty memory).

I've also tried to explain to doctors that I don't NEED the medication everyday, but that it's like a spare tire. I want to have it on hand if or when I suddenly become incapacitated. I'd like the ability to become recapacitated (or at least cope, or start back on the road to recovery as quickly as possible) rather than find the medicine cabinet is bare (and there's a 2 week wait for an appointment). But they interpret the spare tire analogy as "drug seeking behavior."
And plenty of people do drug seek for reasons other than pain, but people who legitimately need it shouldn't have to suffer because of it.

And plenty of people do drug seek for reasons other than pain, but people who legitimately need it shouldn't have to suffer because of it.
Hope you’re feeling better.

There was a most disturbing NY Times article recently about how in 2016 insurance companies began to come down hard on doctors prescribing pain medicine. So patients could not refill their prescriptions, were told to cut down on their scripts or were advised to use OTC pain relief. So many patients committed suicide as they could not live with the pain.

Things have improved & the insurance companies admit their measures were draconian. But this is what happens when insurance companies start second-guessing prescribers who have medical degrees. It’s insane!

Yeah, problem with this is they actually believe one is gonna sell the stuff or abuse it. They only want to prescribe it if they’re certain you’re gonna use it now.

Hope you’re feeling better.

There was a most disturbing NY Times article recently about how in 2016 insurance companies began to come down hard on doctors prescribing pain medicine. So patients could not refill their prescriptions, were told to cut down on their scripts or were advised to use OTC pain relief. So many patients committed suicide as they could not live with the pain.

Things have improved & the insurance companies admit their measures were draconian. But this is what happens when insurance companies start second-guessing prescribers who have medical degrees. It’s insane!
I ended up being brutally sick over the weekend but it was mostly from nausea. I only had the pain for about 15 minutes since I had medicine, otherwise I would have thrown myself off the balcony.

Cats + Christmas tree.

I put the tree up yesterday. I've already had to put like half a dozen ornaments back on it and fix the tree skirt several times. They're lucky they're cute.

Cats + Christmas tree.

I put the tree up yesterday. I've already had to put like half a dozen ornaments back on it and fix the tree skirt several times. They're lucky they're cute.
that why i bought smallest christmas tree so my cat doesnt break it lol

Yup both annoying. Luckily I don't have to deal with either of them.
Around 10-12 years ago I was just getting into computers and was going to buy Malwarebytes. A friend told me to keep my money, download it from Pirate Bay and he would show me how to use it for free. I did so. Why pay if I don't have to right? Anyway, I installed it and ran a scan. It detected one infection. I checked the info on it. It said this:

"Don't Steal Our Software". I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I never uninstalled a program so fast in my life! lol

Around 10-12 years ago I was just getting into computers and was going to buy Malwarebytes. A friend told me to keep my money, download it from Pirate Bay and he would show me how to use it for free. I did so. Why pay if I don't have to right? Anyway, I installed it and ran a scan. It detected one infection. I checked the info on it. It said this:

"Don't Steal Our Software". I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I never uninstalled a program so fast in my life! lol
Ha! now that's a funny story. I use to have Malwarebytes the free version on an old Windows machine. Haven't used anything like that in a long time.

that why i bought smallest christmas tree so my cat doesnt break it lol
It's not the tree itself I'm concerned with. It's the ornaments. So far they've only knocked down the really cheap ones that aren't breakable and I don't care about them anyway, but some of my ornaments are hand sculpted and irreplaceable. Others are replaceable but expensive.

Christmas shopping/gift giving...It's like a social disease roller coaster that people feel complied to do because 'tis the season.
I'm with you, CR. I only buy presents that I feel 'speak to me' of that person or I know they really want. Otherwise you get money or nothing at all (depending on who you are.)

I absolutely despise Secret Santa.

I have a lot of siblings, and it's been standard for years now that none of us get each other anything except stocking stuffers (unless we spot something particularly apropos), and yeah, it's made life a lot simpler.

I'm with you, CR. I only buy presents that I feel 'speak to me' of that person or I know they really want. Otherwise you get money or nothing at all (depending on who you are.)

I have a lot of siblings, and it's been standard for years now that none of us get each other anything except stocking stuffers (unless we spot something particularly apropos), and yeah, it's made life a lot simpler.
I like both of your post and solutions. I LIKE Christmas and I don't mind buying gifts for the one child relative...but I feel bad if people spend money on me and they can't afford it, even worse if it's something I'll just throw in the closet and never use. I told my mom all I want for Christmas is some of her home made fudge...but no damn walnuts!

I actually like Secret Santa, unless of course I draw my boss's name in the work gift exchange. I don't want to spend a cent on that douchebag.

The gift exchange that I HATE though is the one I do with Funny Face. The limit is $5.00. She thinks it's great. I think it's stressful AF, especially with inflation. I agreed to do it one year because I was pretty deep in debt at the time. I didn't know that agreeing to it once meant that I was stuck doing it indefinitely. Next year she's going to get a gift-wrapped $5.00 bill.

A system of cells interlinked
I actually like Secret Santa, unless of course I draw my boss's name in the work gift exchange. I don't want to spend a cent on that douchebag.

You ready? You look ready.
I only buy gifts for myself. That seems to work best.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza