Slappy's favorite music of 2016

Tools    

Pretty Version: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...VIx3ER9RU/edit

(I'm lazy and keeping most of my description from last year, because it's still accurate)

Just in time for your President's Day music purchases it's time for some LIIIISTS! Just when you thought 2016 would never rear it's ugly head again, I'm here to extend its lifespan.

Fair warning: I’ll be posting in this thread fairly regularly for the next month or so. This is your chance to hide the thread/turn off notifications/set your monitor on fire.

More important fair warning: I am bad at describing music.

When I write about music, my imagined audience is an older version of myself; one who is seeking to remember how I used to think. Because of this, please feel no obligation to read what I wrote out; they probably won't help you understand the music, but they might help you understand me (at least that's the hope, I want to understand me in the future).

I'm going to write about fewer songs/EPs/albums because I'd like to write better blurbs. But I still really want to write many, so likely there'll be about half of each list that has no writing, and half that does.

Compared to last year there'll be a greater number of songs, roughly the same number of short releases, and a smaller number of albums. That's not out of any particular design I had, I just liked more songs this year, and I couldn't stand the idea of leaving many off so I went with 100 songs, while focusing on fewer albums than 2016.

I’ll be using this thread to collect 3 lists of music in 2016: My favorite tracks, my favorite short releases, and my favorite albums.

The lists at this point are more or less “captured”, they represent a ranking at a point in time, and will substantially change over the years. But I like figuring out my perspective on the year’s music at this particular point, right as the year comes to a close.

Generally the music is all from the calendar year of 2016, but some are from late 2015 (while putting a list together, you generally start before the year actually ends, and there are a few releases that I love already from December, but I’ll push back to 2017’s list).

I’ll edit the first & second post as I progress.

Complete: Top Tracks 100-76 (no blurbs)

Next Up: Top Tracks 76-51 (no blurbs)

Saved for pure lists.

2016 Top 100 Tracks

Youtube Playlist:
https://tinyurl.com/zfl8wfa

100. TEEN- All About Us [SynthPop]
99. Skeppet- Sargasso [Psychedelic/Electronica]
98. Death In Vegas- Consequences of Love [Minimal Wave]
97. Jamila Woods- HEAVN [Neo-Soul]
96. Kero Kero Bonito- Trampoline [Electropop]

95. Froyo Ma w/ Nick Hakim- Home Phone [Alt R&B]
94. Michael Mayer & Agoria Blackbird Has Spoken [Tech-House]
93. Mlada Fronta- Melt Into The Road [Synthwave]
92. Goat- Goodbye [Psych/Folk]
91. Mannequin Pussy- Denial [Garage Punk]

90. Blanck Mass- D7-D5 [Industrial/IDM]
89. Bon Iver- 33 "GOD" [Glitch/Folk]
88. Randomer- Running Dry [Techno]
87. Fear Of Men- Sane [Dream Pop]
86. Rezt- Gwuap [Left Field Hip Hop]

85. Danny Brown- Ain't It Funny [Experimental Hip Hop]
84. Leafar Legov- Talk [Ambient]
83. R.L. Kelly- Mad [Indie Folk]
82. Laura Mvula- Let Me Fall [Neo-Soul]
81. EasyFun (ft. Noonie Bao)- Monopoly [Experimental Pop]

80. Dim Wit- Wow Ow Now [Garage]
79. The Nativist- TASCAM 0058S34D06 (Demo) [Minimal Techno]
78. Clubkelly- Mitsuki [House]
77. Spectres Sea of Trees (Andy Bell Remix) [Post Punk/Alt Rock]
76. Jenn Champion- No One [Gothic House]

75. Noname (ft. Raury & Cam O'bi)- Diddy Bop [Consious Hip Hop]
74. Serpentwithfeet- Four Ethers [Art Pop]
73. Mitski- Happy [Indie Rock]
72. Death's Dynamic Shroud.wmv- Rare Emoji Collection [Vaporwave]
71. Angel Olson- Shut Up Kiss Me [Indie Rock]

70. Mac Miller (feat. Anderson .Paak)- Dang! [Funk/Rap]
69. Little Scream- Evan [Indie Rock]
68. Kero Kero Bonito- Picture This [ElectroPop]
67. Joey Purp Ft. Chance the Rapper- GIRLS @ [Hip-Hop]
66. The Phantom's Revenge- Posterizing Patrick Ewing [House]

65. Beyoncé- Hold Up [R&B]
64. Ponzu Island- Ponzu Beach [VG/Baleric]
63. Chinese Slippers- Shellfish lovers [Lightcore/Pop]
62. Bon Iver- 22 (OVER S∞∞N) [Glitch/Folk]
61. Death Grips- Bottomless Pit [Noise/Rap]

60. A Tribe Called Quest- Dis Generation [Conscious Rap]
59. Casey Burge- Comin' Fulfilled [Funk/Folk]
58. Moses Sumney- Lonely World [Neo-Soul]
57. Tuff City Kids with Annie- Labyrinth (Club Mix) [Disco/House]
56. Katie Dey- Fear O The Light [Noisepop]

55. Blanck Mass- The Great Confuso Part 1 [Industrial/IDM]
54. G.L.O.S.S.- Give Violence A Chance [Hardcore]
53. Flock of Dimes- Semaphore [Indie Rock]
52. Underd0g- aftershock [Lightcore/Pop]
51. Whitney- Golden Days [Indie Rock]

50. Anna Cook- 22/7 [Dance/Lo-Fi/My Memory Is Pulse]
49. Laura Mvula- Phenomenal Woman [Pop/Neo-Soul/Lay Hands, Unbroken Chain]
48. Brame & Hamo- Cert City [House/Judging By The Past; Often]
47. Tay Sean- FML [Left Field R&B/With One, Without Either]
46. Phork- SWiM (OBE1) [Outsider House/Letters In Hope]

45. Homeboy Sandman- Real New York (ft I Am Many) [East Coast HH/Just That]
44. Rizzla- Burning Boat [Experimental/Electronica/Mrah----Mrah----Clap-Clap]
43. Jamila Woods- VRY BLK (ft. Noname) [Neo-Soul/All We Want Is All Anyone Wants]
42. Danny L Harle- Broken Flowers [PC Music/TTLTTILW-TTLTTILW-TTLTTILW-&_&_&_]
41. Huerco S.- On The Embankment [Ambient/ Fever Dreaming of Curse Eaters]

40. Frank Ocean- Pink + White [R&B/You Showed Me The Way Out, I Remember...
39. Jefre Cantu Ledesma- Love’s Refrain [Ambient/Noise/Another Life; A Longer Life]
38. Sunshower- So Romantic [Lightcore/Mutated Until Your Contortions Reverse]
37. Jenny Hval- Conceptual Romance [Art Pop/Stand In Front Of Me, Let’s Be A Mirror]
36. Solange- Cranes In The Sky [Soul/The Bell And You Beneath It]

35. Don’t- Gold & Glowing [Indie Rock/From Mesh To Cocoon]
34. Bob Dylan- Don’t Think Twice It’s Alright (Animal Collective Remix) [Folk/Psych-Pop...
33. Azealia Banks- The Big Big Beat [Big Big Big Big Beat/Dirty Retcon]
32. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds- I Need You [Alt Rock/More Than Your Context]
31. AKBSHI- Stronger Than You (Remix) [Jersey/Footwork/Flow To Match The Feeling]

30. Deakin- Golden Chords [Folk/Psychedelic/In Which I Got Two Thumbs Up...
29. MLiR- People [House/Trusting My Balance As I Did On The Rocks]
28. Serpentwithfeet- Blisters [Art-Pop/My Dream At The Station, Kept Until Forgiven]
27. Kero Kero Bonito- Break [ElectroPop/Ignore The Aching For The Sake Of Metaphor]
26. Moses Sumney- Everlasting Sigh [Alt R&B/Reverse Death]

25. Traumprinz- 2Bad (DJ Metatron 'What If Madness Is The Only Relief' Rework) [Soft...
24. PUP- DVP [Punk/I Said When You Drink You All Seem The Same, But Actually]
23. Lindstrøm- Closing Shot [Nu-Disco/I Do Not Own My Memories, I Just Love Them]
22. Cloudland Canyon- An Arabesque [Cosmic Synth/ Again Tomorrow, And I Can’t Wait]
21. Kines+hetiaC- Poll U Tion [Synth/If The Stories Were Meant To Have The Message...

20. ¬ b- 3m12-Disc 2 [Instrumental Hip Hop/There, Just After They All Stopped Searching]
19. Clipping.- Wriggle [Experimental Hip Hop/Maybe It Would Have Come Naturally?]
18. Open Mike Eagle & Paul White- A Short About a Guy That Dies Everynight [Abstract...
17. Cottam- Breaking Through The Pain Barrier [House/From Nerves, To Heart, To Hands]
16. Frank Hurricane- Who U Is [Psych-Hop/It Happens All The Time, Right Around...]

15. Avalon Emerson- The Frontier [Tech House/We Reflect When We Relent]
14. TV Girl- Heaven Is A Bedroom [Indie Hip Hop/Never Kept My Promises On The Phone]
13. Lorenzo Senni- emotiva1234 [Minimal House/Make Sense First, Add More Later]
12. Thunder Tillman- Exact Location Of The Soul [Kosmische/All My Skipped Heartbeats...
11. Mitski- Best American Girl [Indie Rock/Her Pain Isn’t Mine, But Mine Might Be Hers]

10. Rodion- Gamma [Dance/Even If You Lose Everything But The Sun]
9. Kanye West- Ultralight Beam [Soul/Rap/Hey Man, I’m Glad You’re Still Here]
8. Animal Collective- Floridada [Neo-Psychedelia/This, And Everything To Follow]
7. Chinese Slippers- Viibrate [Pop/We Under That Threshold, We Under That Pressure]
6. Children of Pop- Jealous Lover [Synth-Pop/Lucky Soul, I Love You So]

5. LUH- I&I [Indie Rock/Standing Over The Frictionless Pit Where I Was Born]
4. These Hidden Hands- These Moments Dismantled [Industrial Techno/I Don’t Belong In...
3. Marie Davidson- Naive To The Bone [Minimal Dance/Bored Of Proud Indifference]
2. The Blow- Think About Me [ElectroPop/I Put Your Play Together: 2-3-1-3-1-3-1-3-1-3...]
1. Hannah Diamond- Fade Away [PC Music/I’m Sorry My Garnet]

2016 Top 20 Short Releases

Youtube Playlist:
https://tinyurl.com/ln8nn3a

20. Kelly Lee Owens- Oleic [Tech-House]
19. Disclosure- Moog for Love [UK Bass]
18. Chapelier Fou- Kalia [Folktronic Soundtracks]
17. Brame & Hamo- Kebab Dreams [Deep House]
16. Karen Gwyer- Prophase Metaphase Anaphase Telophase [Techno]

15. Lindstrom- Windings [Nu-Disco]
14. G.L.O.S.S.- Trans Day Of Revenge [Hardcore]
13. Floating Points- Kuiper [Jazz/Electronica]
12. Cottam- Breaking Through The Pain Barrier [Deep House]
11. Anthony Naples- Mixes For My Mates [Mixes For The Floor]

10. Toby Gale- DNA Party [Dance/Pop/Meaningless Fun, Meh. Directionless Fun, YAY!]
9. Seabuckthorn- I Could See The Smoke [Folk/It Can Feel Good To Get Knocked Down]
8. Thunder Tillman- Jaguar Mirror [Kosmische/Your Guided Tour To Thunder]
7. Jefre Cantu Ledesma- In Summer [Experimental/Noise/How Sounds When Blood Rushes…]
6. Lil Siva- Jimi [UK Bass/I’m Glad You Speak, Even When It’s So Little]

5. Simon12345 & The Lazer Twins- Cheveux Propres, Cheveux Gras [Tech House/T-420]
4. Don't- Forget It [Bedroom Pop/How Much Of This Takes Place In A Shared Space?]
3. Serpentwithfeet- Blisters [Post-Gospel/Without Light I Don’t Know Where Not To Look]
2. Chinese Slippers- House Party [Lightcore/If I Can Just Keep My Balance For 60 More]
1. Moses Sumney- Lamentations [Neo-Soul/My Sighs Are Many And My Heart Is Faint]

2016 Top Tracks
Part 1: 100-76

Youtube Playlist:
https://tinyurl.com/zfl8wfa

100. TEEN- All About Us [SynthPop]

99. Skeppet- Sargasso [Psychedelic/Electronica]

98. Death In Vegas- Consequences of Love [Minimal Wave]

97. Jamila Woods- HEAVN [Neo-Soul]

96. Kero Kero Bonito- Trampoline [Electropop]

95. Froyo Ma w/ Nick Hakim- Home Phone [Alt R&B]

94. Michael Mayer & Agoria Blackbird Has Spoken [Tech-House]

93. Mlada Fronta- Melt Into The Road [Synthwave]

92. Goat- Goodbye [Psych/Folk]

91. Mannequin Pussy- Denial [Garage Punk]

90. Blanck Mass- D7-D5 [Industrial/IDM]

89. Bon Iver- 33 "GOD" [Glitch/Folk]

88. Randomer- Running Dry [Techno]

87. Fear Of Men- Sane [Dream Pop]

86. Rezt- Gwuap [Left Field Hip Hop]

85. Danny Brown- Ain't It Funny [Experimental Hip Hop]

84. Leafar Legov- Talk [Ambient]

83. R.L. Kelly- Mad [Indie Folk]

82. Laura Mvula- Let Me Fall [Neo-Soul]

81. EasyFun (ft. Noonie Bao)- Monopoly [Experimental Pop]

80. Dim Wit- Wow Ow Now [Garage]

79. The Nativist- TASCAM 0058S34D06 (Demo) [Minimal Techno]

78. Clubkelly- Mitsuki [House]

77. Spectres Sea of Trees (Andy Bell Remix) [Post Punk/Alt Rock]

76. Jenn Champion- No One [Gothic House]

I really didn't care for KKB the first time I heard it. But god damn it's grown on me hard.

I didn't care for DB the first time I heard him either, but it's been what, 5 years since XXX, so I'm loving most his stuff almost instantly these days. Accelerator might show up on 2017's list.

2016 Top Tracks
Part 2: 76-51

Youtube Playlist (starts from #76):
https://tinyurl.com/z2qskg9

75. Noname (ft. Raury & Cam O'bi)- Diddy Bop [Consious Hip Hop]

74. Serpentwithfeet- Four Ethers [Art Pop]

73. Mitski- Happy [Indie Rock]

72. Death's Dynamic Shroud.wmv- Rare Emoji Collection [Vaporwave]

71. Angel Olson- Shut Up Kiss Me [Indie Rock]

70. Mac Miller (feat. Anderson .Paak)- Dang! [Funk/Rap]

69. Little Scream- Evan [Indie Rock]

68. Kero Kero Bonito- Picture This [ElectroPop]

67. Joey Purp Ft. Chance the Rapper- GIRLS @ [Hip-Hop]

66. The Phantom's Revenge- Posterizing Patrick Ewing [House]

65. Beyoncé- Hold Up [R&B]

64. Ponzu Island- Ponzu Beach [VG/Baleric]

63. Chinese Slippers- Shellfish lovers [Lightcore/Pop]

62. Bon Iver- 22 (OVER S∞∞N) [Glitch/Folk]

61. Death Grips- Bottomless Pit [Noise/Rap]

60. A Tribe Called Quest- Dis Generation [Conscious Rap]

59. Casey Burge- Comin' Fulfilled [Funk/Folk]

58. Moses Sumney- Lonely World [Neo-Soul]

57. Tuff City Kids with Annie- Labyrinth (Club Mix) [Disco/House]

56. Katie Dey- Fear O The Light [Noisepop]

55. Blanck Mass- The Great Confuso Part 1 [Industrial/IDM]

54. G.L.O.S.S.- Give Violence A Chance [Hardcore]

53. Flock of Dimes- Semaphore [Indie Rock]

52. Underd0g- aftershock [Lightcore/Pop]

51. Whitney- Golden Days [Indie Rock]

2016 Top Tracks
Part 3: 50-26

Youtube Playlist (starting from #50):
https://tinyurl.com/jxks9sf

50. Anna Cook- 22/7 [Dance/Lo-Fi/My Memory Is Pulse]
Almost entirely a handful of loops filtered through phasers, each getting their turn to shift slightly their few moments of prime exposure. It resembles recent memory; like the lingering feeling of a dance floor, recalling the hook of the beat again and again. Not how it was, but how it felt.

49. Laura Mvula- Phenomenal Woman [Pop/Neo-Soul/Lay Hands, Unbroken Chain]
She felt inspiration from Maya’s gift, and her reaction after feeling this wonderful and light feeling was to pass it on; receiving and treasuring with one hand, while cultivating more to provide with the other. This is how legacies survive, and it’s a special thing to witness.

48. Brame & Hamo- Cert City [House/Judging By The Past; Often]

First of all, mmmmm, that wonderful teasing section at the beginning. Second, this song made me acutely aware of the code switching that happens while I write these. The dominant form is a breadcrumb trail for my future self, a way to re-experience an idea that the music provoked; this is important for songs whose current appeal has a basis in some sort of mental state. But when I come up against a track whose enjoyability seems obvious, I’m a bit lost. Honestly if I ever got to the point where a track like this one wasn’t enjoyable, I’d be far more interested in hearing from my future self about why not. It also makes me realize that I’m trying to translate my current mind for a generalized audience (such as my future self, which I can’t assume much about except the ability to translate a few key phrases that have personal meaning, or by relying on specific memories); I’m curious how often it’ll seem like these were written by another.

47. Tay Sean- FML [Left Field R&B/With One, Without Either]
A candid and parsimonious confrontation with the irrefutable, immutable, and inescapable set of facts that there are the girls Tay loves, the girls he thinks about, and the girls he dreams about.
And that their mutual existence ensures his permanent misery.

46. Phork- SWiM (OBE1) [Outsider House/Letters In Hope]
One of my most cherished rituals comes around the end of summer. I put together a handful of my favorite tracks from the year so far (it hasn’t even approached list form at this point), and I head to a pool with my waterproof headphones, snorkel, and TWO plastic ziplock bags to wrap around my ipod (I’m actually pretty surprised I haven’t wrecked my ipod yet with this). Going under the water with the headphones on to this song is the dominant association now. You don’t think about it, but you get a reflection of the bottom of the pool when you look towards the surface of the water, it locks you in. This is the space you’re given; you’re only going to be here.

45. Homeboy Sandman- Real New York (ft I Am Many) [East Coast HH/Just That]
While actually knowing nothing about the song’s origin, the history feels clear. The breathless beat could have been just a hint of an idea that never found its hook or bridge. But to him, this sounded like a 2 minute Everest. I’ve never been strictly opposed to the bravado streak in hip-hop, but I do prefer a show-not-tell approach to broadcasting talent.

44. Rizzla- Burning Boat [Experimental/Electronica/Mrah----Mrah----Clap-Clap]
The very first one into the breach, how do they possibly do it? I suppose I could see it in the very short term, you allow your mind to fall for it’s own tricks. But how do they do it when they’re forced to see it coming? When they know hours, days, months in advance. Looking at the ocean, their fresh dead end, how did the heat feel? Backs to the wall, they say:
feed your faith to keep you warm, you need your faith to keep you warm.

43. Jamila Woods- VRY BLK (ft. Noname) [Neo-Soul/All We Want Is All Anyone Wants]
A reappropriation of a childhood song designed to hide the words they weren’t supposed to say from the powers that be, into an adulthood song designed to hide the word’s they aren’t supposed to say from the powers that be.

42. Danny L Harle- Broken Flowers [PC Music/TTLTTILW-TTLTTILW-TTLTTILW-&_&_&_]
People seem to think of repeated epiphanies as failures. That our moments of clarity come in only two flavors: watershed moments where your life is irrevocably altered or self-indulgent wheel-spinning. The value of the epiphany is directly proportional to the distance between your life before and your life after. The same epiphany means you’re right back to where you were, ∴ V(e)=0, right? Maybe I’m just extending empathy to a concept I’m now personifying, but to my bones this feels like the wrong way to treat them; especially if you want to see any again.

41. Huerco S.- On The Embankment [Ambient/ Fever Dreaming of Curse Eaters]
I’ve loved many, many ambient albums, but due in part to the genre’s tendency towards cohesive wholes over particularly audacious pieces, I don’t often think of ambient tracks as discrete from the album. The appearance here sprang from two parts; first is that this album is one of the rare ambient albums that is very distinct from track to track (more on that later) and second it’s that Embankment had the opportunity to stand out as I was trying to find one piece of repeatable music to fall asleep to while I was horribly nauseous. I knew I wasn’t going to get there; instead I looked for a single song that could possibly trick my mind into believing I was in a dream. I chose this and I spent the restless night in some sort of peace.

40. Frank Ocean- Pink + White [R&B/You Showed Me The Way Out, I Remember That Each Time I Walk Away]
The really unfair thing about revisiting nostalgia is how I stay the same age. It gives the false impression that during that time I was immortal, experiencing the same loop again and again. I feel culpable, like I chose to leave the loop. You know I wouldn’t leave you dude.
(Youtube Unavailable)

39. Jefre Cantu Ledesma- Love’s Refrain [Ambient/Noise/Another Life; A Longer Life]
I don’t often notice how I carry a slight chip on my shoulder that noise music can have an undeserved association with nihilism, but inspirational songs like this really twist that knife. Some of my optimism flows from the tendency to acclimate to bitter surfaces; just enough for a second look. Noise is the reminder that you might have missed something, because you weren’t meant to see it all in one go. Whether or not aching is built in or incidental, it’s part of me now. You might not believe me, but part of the reason I wish on eternal recurrence is for our refrain.

38. Sunshower- So Romantic [Lightcore/Mutated Until Your Contortions Reverse]
The sound puts me right back into childhood drives, in 96.7 it was 87.8 on 92.5, the awkward marriage of synths, chimes, and sharp voices. The words remind me of how I thought of them then; they’re just like everyone else, doing their best in a low tide. Looking at (and thinking of) the original I can’t help but feel like I’m witnessing a performance. You don’t feel any of this, do you? But now I’m here, and the memory is rebranded. Decades later it’s changed, and I know you do feel something. The pitch has turned fragile; you lied about your feelings, but still desperately working to hold yourself together. I can’t blame you for trying; but you should have failed better. As bitter as that sounds, the catharsis is welcome.

37. Jenny Hval- Conceptual Romance [Art Pop/Stand In Front Of Me, Let’s Be A Mirror]
Here’s something I never thought I’d say about myself, something no one’s really supposed to say about themselves; but I’ve gotten good at seducing myself. Let me clarify before you start to worry too much about the content rating of the rest: I mean that my romantic side is able to convince my intellectual side to follow it. Maybe it’s just my imagination Jenny, but exposing our inner romances has helped us connect to fuller company. After years of madness and combined failures, contrasted and seemingly conflicted with a vast trove of self-infatuation, was the answer really to treat others like we treat ourselves? Well, it seems to work for some.
It’s more than I thought I’d ever have.

36. Solange- Cranes In The Sky [Soul/The Bell And You Beneath It]
The pitch of the strings is held so tight that at times it sounds like a synthetic sine or theremin.
I try to conceptualize a song’s identity separately from its video, but the two are hopelessly intertwined on Cranes. Maybe I’m just too far gone, but I think it was a good thing this time. The zoom, the shining desert, nearly sci-fi in it’s forward thinking attempt to capture our projections onward. The video is not only one of my favorite music videos ever; I think it’s a favorite film.

35. Don’t- Gold & Glowing [Indie Rock/From Mesh To Cocoon]
You can be annoyed by hypertext fiction all you want, but in the end you know it’s all hypertext.
-Rebuilt the world just to watch it wash away-
Especially when you surround yourself with only that context. People talk about speaking a word until it loses all meaning, like wringing out a dishrag. How’d it get wet? Did you listen too hard?
-You can walk in circles far from the water-
I love it though. Because for all my worries about trying to strike a balance between expression and communication; I do it all the time without conscious thought. Hard to be intimidated then.
-And when the sun pours through another window-
But do I try to find balance when listening? I’d think my balance would be listening once for myself, listen again for intention (and in that order, as not to spoil). But that’s not the concurrent type of balancing I do for writing and speaking. Seems difficult. I wonder why that is?

34. Bob Dylan- Don’t Think Twice It’s Alright (Animal Collective Remix)
[Folk/Psych-Pop/In Nature, Because How Could Design Allow This?]

There’s a mysterious forest trope in video games where there’s 4 paths, one in each direction. The game tends to cheat, applying non-euclidian principles to your choices. Take a turn the game doesn’t want and you’ll be back at the start. It’s not like other “wrong” choices in games where you are directly punished for choices by injury or fighting monsters. In these, the punishment is simply non-progress. Gentle in its directions to just try again. Oppressive in its implication that anything that isn’t novel is wrong; that feeling familiar means you’ve failed. I tend to push these puzzles, looking for each possible outcome. Sometimes there’s a secret or two, sometimes there’s nothing. But the game is almost always insistent that you don’t belong in a cycle, like you are wasting its time by letting your heart wander; a break from always pushing forward. I disagree.

33. Azealia Banks- The Big Big Beat [Big Big Big Big Beat/Dirty Retcon]
Azealia makes it hard to like her, except when she’s making cuts like 212 or BBB. This song is so well designed it makes me misremember how awkward 90’s big beat and detroit house could be. It’s cheating. You and I both know it didn’t sound this good, you liar.

32. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds- I Need You [Alt Rock/More Than Your Context]
Then trying to match your stuttered pace, mismatching your warped tone, hearing your cracked voice. But I didn’t get you then. Now alone on a wet street with no sounds, singing nothing really matters to myself. I didn’t understand you, I didn’t want to understand you. But now.

31. AKBSHI- Stronger Than You (Remix) [Jersey/Footwork/Flow To Match The Feeling]
I fail often, but my cautious nature refuses to allow me to be in situations where my failure can’t be fixed by me alone. It’s terrifying, seeing a group of people hold back their panic because they don’t want to expose you to it; but we really need you to leave for a moment. I had only spent a day feeling this, until this floated into my life. Songs tend to enhance feelings but this song shook mine away. It’s not going to be alright, everything is already incredible.

30. Deakin- Golden Chords [Folk/Psychedelic/In Which I Got Two Thumbs Up In The Space Of One Second, And I Don’t Think Either Was Sarcastic]
The trick to confidence is knowing where to step. Familiarity with the sturdy ground in your character. There starts to be a natural sort of navigation to problem solving, the paths you develop, the halls you can walk straight down, the spots you have to hop from board to board. But those times you were caught off guard, you had to press down on a spot that’s always been too tender, but it’s stronger than you thought. Or the times you stepped on foundation and it gives way. Looking at hole left behind, thinking: is that something I’m not anymore? --
Is it fair? Giving up on the chemical mix that gives rise to a new variety of you. Old cities, old roads, old jobs, old mantras; they lead you to this place. You wouldn’t be who you are without them. Is this variety of you so bad? Does it really deserves to be pulled up by the roots?

29. MLiR- People [House/Trusting My Balance As I Did On The Rocks]
There is one overriding memory to this song. Running down a street as fast as I could, tapping my feet on unnecessary tangents up curbs and along rail tracks. I was trying to get to a Pokemon before it despawned. It was one of the most fascinating game releases of all time. I’ve never, ever, seen as massive a change in the social climate this suddenly. I absolutely treasured the few weeks of insane popularity that it had. By the time I had made my run there, there was this cluster of players forming. There’s just something about chasing something down that exists in this dimension just beyond our sight, and to find a crowd gathering around that spot of shared imagination. I dearly hope something like it happens again.

28. Serpentwithfeet- Blisters [Art-Pop/My Dream At The Station, Kept Until Forgiven]
I nearly always wish to fully connect with a song’s intent, but here I find myself grateful for a degree of separation. Thoughts that someone could hate me to their grave makes my stomach turn, but I still keep blisters on repeat. I’m drawn toward penance in listening to the song. I feel the need to repeat our prayer until I’ve earned some sort of temporary respite; even pain caused by my abstraction; an obligation to gingerly wind their time spent hurting back into the spool.

27. Kero Kero Bonito- Break [ElectroPop/Ignore The Aching For The Sake Of Metaphor]
For the last several years I’ve had a birthday dinner tradition. We search within ourselves for specific appetites, and indulge. This takes place over the course of several hours as we drive around. Finding the pieces of meals that you’ve been craving, even if they don’t fit together. It’s actually kind of refreshing, to give control to your half-hearted appetites. This comes to mind when I think about the concept of a break. I often feel like I don’t deserve a break because of combined time spent uselessly meandering surely constitutes a break. But that’s not really a break, at least not for me. Breaks are really about expanding out a mental silence so that meditation fills the gaps. Committing to nothing allows your little pieces to express.

26. Moses Sumney- Everlasting Sigh [Alt R&B/Reverse Death]
Good advice can often fail to reach me, especially when I’m defending a dying identity. I know you shouldn’t draw out transitions; but the simple existence of that knowledge just moves the battle further out the semantic line. Deny the transition at all, then there’s no issue. I’m too good at fighting; or actually I’m too good at delaying defeat. Kindness has to be the first move on me. But there’s nothing in it for him, not even the hint of smug satisfaction of passing on a well-worn piece of wisdom. The feeling is fresh, offering a bent arm where I can lock mine. Our first step is to look back, the second is to turn, the third isn’t important yet.

2016 Top Tracks
Part 4: 25-1

Youtube Playlist (starting from #25):
https://tinyurl.com/gl52rkk

25. Traumprinz- 2Bad (DJ Metatron 'What If Madness Is The Only Relief' Rework)[Deep House/Soft Thoughts Take Place In The Space Swords Make]
When I call a song meditative, I often mean it clears my head. It takes me to a distinct place where I’m not pressured to think about anything. This song is a bit different, as if the way it clears my head is quick and violent, leaving behind a vacuum that searches for anything to fill itself. What it finds it tends to be a neglected thought, something I was so unaware of I wouldn’t have even thought to discard it. --
I never quite thought you were dead; I still let myself make small plans. The structure of your eulogy started coming together, here’s what you’d want me to say, here’s what I’d want to say, is there common ground? Where would I go? I know you wanted me to travel with your ashes, but I felt unprepared; you never quite told me this directly but you wanted me go with my own child. Like the trip we took when you thought you were dying. You tried to show me so much of your identity in those places, but you were also so quiet. I felt like you were holding back, like always.

24. PUP- DVP [Punk/I Said When You Drink You All Seem The Same, But Actually]
When she called me to say she was worried about him, and asked me to go. When I talked with him over the phone outside his house; he didn’t want to be his dad. When he hardly knew me, then he put his hand down her pants he got scared. When she gave her number to me and I said it was reckless. When he told me that he needs her forgiveness, I told him I can’t speak for her. When she told me she lied to him, I agreed he couldn’t ever know. When we were on the overpass he told me that he wished people were like broken faucets, I think they just cover it up.

23. Lindstrøm- Closing Shot [Nu-Disco/I Do Not Own My Memories, I Just Love Them]

One of the first playlists I ever remember making was designed for a character mindset. I’d use it as a way to get into a cocky attitude as I strutted the retail store I worked at when I got off work. Yes, delaying my own departure; this was my version of a goodbye as I teased my favorite coworkers. I made another, songs that made me skip when I felt like no one was watching. It was a little bit of the opposite, something that made me move in a decidedly giddy and uncool fashion. I think of it now, as I think this song could honestly bridge the gap between the two.

22. Cloudland Canyon- An Arabesque [Cosmic Synth/ Again Tomorrow, And I Can’t Wait]
When I wake up there’s a fading part of me desperate to tell everything about the dream we had. It’s so excited and it has so much to say. It’s so conscious of how much is behind it and how little it has ahead. I have to beg it to sit still and give me something. You’ve lived forever, piece it down. --
I’ve been told journaling helps you remember dreams for longer. So odd, why would that work? Now that I’m here, maybe it’s because I can prove to that part of me that it’ll be back. Maybe just knowing that it’ll be back, that we’ll talk again, that this isn’t its only chance to try to make sense of all it’s ever known before being lost forever. Slow down, you’ll get to tell me everything.

21. Kines+hetiaC- Poll U Tion [Synth/If The Stories Were Meant To Have The Message “Peaceful Life Is To Be Desired”, They Shouldn’t Have Killed The Story In Comfort]

There’s a tear in the song. It starts with this very sweet village/shire. Then it starts to complicate, call to action type stuff. Then there’s just this tiny hint of the start of the journey, then it rips apart and swings forward into the tender resolution. I don’t know quite how to feel; sad that there wasn’t a journey, or happy they didn’t have to experience the struggle. It’s the part of life that the hero is fighting for, and here they just have it. You can’t really complain, can you?

20. ¬ b- 3m12-Disc 2 [Instrumental Hip Hop/There, Just After They All Stopped Searching]
I grew up being in an empty church a lot. I always felt more when it was just me, and I can’t say that place isn’t beautiful when the sun’s on the right side; putting the constant stream of dust from the pillars and pews through the colored light of the stained glass windows. I loved that I felt totally alone in this place designed to make you feel like there’s something outside of yourself, because every time I feel alone I just feel my own permanent presence.--
I hear the lone voice in the church, singing wordless notes. The place feels like it’s designed to redouble the sound falling from the ceiling, reminding you of what’s above. I think he meant to be alone (he called them reflections); someday I hope he’d understand.

19. Clipping.- Wriggle [Experimental Hip Hop/Maybe It Would Have Come Naturally?]
Clipping makes the disturbing palatable. No, more than palatable; compulsive. Maybe it always was, and clipping just reveals it. Nesting itself within a deep part of your brain, too compelling to ignore its implications. Is all that separates you from violence the right rhythm?

18. Open Mike Eagle & Paul White- A Short About a Guy That Dies Everynight [Abstract Hip-Hop/My Brand New Ford Theseus, Built From Every Car I’ve Ever Owned]

--Sometimes it feels like I inherited my current cell from my past self. As if I was some sort of ancest--t’s like an inverted Groundhog Day; living countless different days but ne--etimes I think of identity as if it were some sort of pattern. Where identity is the configuration, the structure of your tho--ore I start to dream, before there's that big break; I feel like I have to have some sort of faith that all reform the next day to continue being the same “pers--seem to think of myself as one continuous thought process that has a straight line from birth to death. But then when I look at some look at younger pictures of myself and try to remember things from a long time ago I'm completely unable to; the intuition is that I'm a completely dif--f all the experiences I’ve ever forgotten were used to form another person, would I recognize them as m-- Mike, I feel our struggle against being switched from one topic the next; that you wanted you want to keep the thought go--ometimes I have to just accept the assemblage of interrupted thoughts and hope there’s some sort of emergent quali--

17. Cottam- Breaking Through The Pain Barrier [House/From Nerves, To Heart, To Hands]
I speak a lot about how music might cause me to dance, though not often the form. This one is a bobbing and heaving motion in a shower, drawing in the water spilling over my lips and spraying it above. Paul may have done the same as he emerged victorious over his own body.--
I’m skeptical of the current value placed on the idea of the self-reliant man, but I can’t lie; I’m so deeply impressed by Cottam creating his own path out. It’s a long song as it is, but I bet this is culled from hours of repetition and rehabilitation.

16. Frank Hurricane- Who U Is [Psych-Hop/It Happens All The Time, Right Around...]

If you’ve played music with friends, most of the time it’s a mess that never deserves to leave the basement you’re in. But every once in awhile, you might get into that slight swing. None of you are quite good enough to know what you’re even doing, so you know you can’t really repeat it once you leave, so you keep it going a bit. It’s not that it sounds amazing, it’s that it actually carries you away like “real” music does. You’ve made that feeling for yourself, and that’s what you want to capture, yet you can’t. Still, even today I recognize its echo in this song.

15. Avalon Emerson- The Frontier [Tech House/We Reflect When We Relent]
People like to think about what parts of themselves are the most core, which parts would survive catastrophe (It’s where we get: “In a certain light, wouldn't nuclear war be exciting?”). We cleanse, we turn the heat on ourselves, we make our minds inhospitable to see what happens. If something leaves, good riddance, it couldn’t have been depended on anyway.--
I can’t ever remember how the song actually goes. I can only recreate the environment as best as I can remember. I let my body go limp and here come the warm jets...

14. TV Girl- Heaven Is A Bedroom [Indie Hip Hop/Never Kept My Promises On The Phone]
It was like the streets cleared just for me. Pretty warm for being damp and 1am. During just the right moments, you’d swear my skittering feet actually made a pretty good job expressing how I felt. I had just seen a reminder of it all. I know you think about high school all the time, but it still catches you off guard when you run into the other particles that careen away from that initial singularity. You remember that one night you spent together? You just watched each other under the covers. It’s hard to remember the tension; it must have been there? I fell for TV Girl before the street and the memory; but something just brought it together right then.

13. Lorenzo Senni- emotiva1234 [Minimal House/Make Sense First, Add More Later]
The restriction inspires the creativity here. I’m still shocked that he can do so much with so little. This is one of the best form songs I can think of. It’s hard to feel like they’re notes anymore. Tiny fists striking your whole body. It feels like being tossed around in ocean and rain. The bursts of warmth, small punctures of cold. Less like sound and more like waves in air. Wait.
(Snippet, Check Spotify)

12. Thunder Tillman- Exact Location Of The Soul [Kosmische/All My Skipped Heartbeats, I’ve Found Where You’ve Gone]

So yeah, I’m a total sucker for the near-motorik beats and sound palette in this brand of psych. Coming across this felt strange, because I could have sworn it was already part of my life. I’m struck by images on each beat. I’m trying to make sense of it. It’s like spilling out a case of photos; the pictures of moments that I could hardly stand to move to the next second. The moments I try to stretch outside myself so that I’ll never forget the feeling of my exact location.

11. Mitski- Best American Girl [Indie Rock/Her Pain Isn’t Mine, But Mine Might Be Hers]
She was really good at it, she said all the right things. Not even just the right words, but spoken the right way, like they were spilling directly from her heart. She spoke from the top of her rock. She was a good role model. She spoke with his breath on her forehead. But the inspiration wasn’t hers. But she was a conduit. But the very best she could ever hope to be was a tool. When it changed, in one breath they said: we’re so proud of you. In the second: well it’s not like we’d go out of our way to let people know how you turned out. Were they really that surprised that she didn’t dream like they did? Was her big mistake living up to expectations at first?

10. Rodion- Gamma [Dance/Even If You Lose Everything But The Sun]
Dance gets a raw deal sometimes. Especially when it comes to interpretational form. We don’t crack as many jokes about music or literature. If we were bees, the joke would be dancing about music is like buzzing about honeycomb. Do you remember what this means?--
I wonder what it was like for the person that wrote revelations. Pursuing grander and grander ideas, trying to make a perfect idea visceral. Simplicity is too easy. Infinity too conceptually unwieldy. A need to go beyond your own imagination; how would you know when you’re done?

9. Kanye West- Ultralight Beam [Soul/Rap/Hey Man, I’m Glad You’re Still Here]

There aren’t many moments I was happier for a musician than when Kanye was just starting to debut TLOP at Madison Square Garden. He seemed a little anxious and unsure; maybe even a little bashful? Proud, but nervous. You could see him wander around to his friends, followed by the halo of a spotlight. It looked like he was going to get swept up in a rapture, right then and there. I’ve wondered what it’s like for him. To him it must all seem so arbitrary, as if he’s unsure what people will love him for, what they’ll hate him for. As this song played, I think he knew he did well. Sure, it all goes to his head sometimes, but man is he magnetic when happy.

8. Animal Collective- Floridada [Neo-Psychedelia/This, And Everything To Follow]
There are so many visceral and pleasurable moments left in my life. That sounds obvious to “brain” but doesn’t feel certain to “gut”. If I were approached with a deal to either live out my lifespan naturally or be able to relive my life up until now (without changing it) again and again; I’d have a tough time deciding. I’ve loved my life so much and I’m always concerned that at some point there’ll be a reversion to the mean. This song breaks that feeling and brings my over-nostalgia back into balance. It’s more than optimistic; it’s excited, ecstatic, absolutely thrilled about all the moments from before, and all the moments to come. Brief moments you catch your gaze in the mirror, have that feeling of recognizing yourself and thinking of all the times before that you looked into your own eyes; you feel truly grateful for whatever this all is.

7. Chinese Slippers- Viibrate [Pop/We Under That Threshold, We Under That Pressure]

I’m curious to see how I feel about this song in a year or two, because something about it feels so utterly woven into 2016 as a year that I’m not sure what it’ll be without its context. Every time I hear it I think of it as this special treat, taking this moment to feel bright and happy. I almost never let it repeat, but I can listen to it multiple times in the days I need it. The opening moments are like walking under a series of banners welcoming me to the best part of my day. I choose to be around that which makes me happy. I’m sorry if I lose the forest for the trees sometimes, but these moments are just so wonderful.

6. Children of Pop- Jealous Lover [Synth-Pop/Lucky Soul, I Love You So]
I’m hoping it’s just human nature to be obsessed with the moments you become aware of your relation to an era. When I think of the past, I’m almost always resolute that I would never change a thing, but if I was told that my future was determined I’d get nauseous and resentful. It bothers me, but don’t I let myself indulge in both fantasies anyway? Don’t I spend all my time there? An impossibly idyllic future, reliving an unreliable past; where my heart went my heart is.---
When I had a chance to realize what was happening I wanted it to last forever. I wanted this feeling of optimism and possibility to linger, I knew that someday I’d have context on this moment, and I didn’t want it. I could see myself at the end; where my hardened heart is. ---
When I thought about myself then, I actually didn’t want to go back. I wanted to stay here. I wanted to relive everything that came before, and cycle again and again. I can feel myself slip back into the last thought that happened before, like all of this was just one long tangent. Now I’m pointed back toward my personal canon, my natural state; where my heartward heart is.
http://youtubeloop.net/watch?v=EDLXWEfesUk (Can’t we stay in this loop? Stanley?)

5. LUH- I&I [Indie Rock/Standing Over The Frictionless Pit Where I Was Born]
Motivation is often viewed as this capricious and fickle resource, and its only value is whether or not it can get you through your current task to the next; from stone to stone. I&I is gentler, a reminder that the life you want exists in each day; but only when you’re ready.--
I’ve thought sometimes; why isn’t the golden rule, treat others like they’d like to be treated? It does feel like we’ve kind of moved towards this version (at least when we talk about these sort of rules), but when I compare the two versions, this one seems pretty frail. I’ve thought a lot about how I treat myself this year, and; it’s hard to get started; to get any sort of good initial principle going to gain momentum. I’m thinking of starting simple, an inverted golden rule; treat yourself as you’d treat others. It’s even something I’ve said to other people, but not something I’ve really considered for myself. Treat other people how you’d treat yourself. Treat yourself like you’d treat other people. Yes, clearly circular. But keep a thread going during the recumbent motion and you’ve begun to weave. Discovering your personal principles by braiding countless intuitions and finding a center of gravity. Maybe it could support your weight.--
I have no idea how I’d approach initial language at my current age; with my ideas about ideas so fixed and specialized. When I was young I was just able to take an idea and hold it. That act allowed progress even when the change was imperceptibly small. I could use that idea to describe another idea. I could use that word to describe another word, and if I could just get this one foot up, maybe I could grab the ledge...

4. These Hidden Hands- These Moments Dismantled [Industrial Techno/I Don’t Belong In The Wild]
The exact center of this song is how the two rapid salvos of percussion play off each other. The first is a tightly managed and forceful attack. The sound of the drum is smooth and intact. The second comes apart and its deep tissue is exposed and barely linked to the cartilage. I have a sense of being pursued; the slow bass beat has a solid head start, before it’s quickly overtaken.

3. Marie Davidson- Naive To The Bone [Minimal Dance/Bored Of Proud Indifference]
It was going so well there for a while. Vulnerability was in. I remember right at my introduction to the internet as a social experience, there was a sudden release of guarded thoughts and the accidental vulnerability (upon revisiting, not only how could I have said that, but how could I have said that out loud?). Because of the new availability and permanence of the public record, how could you do something as irresponsible as putting anything subjective to a point in your life/day/minute out there with the force of a life manifest. We even routinely punish the temporal disagreements between people and their past words. Those sound suspiciously like feelings, not fully formed life ideas! If you’re going to put feelings out there, make sure you express doubt or contradictory ideas in equal measure to create a path out after the fact.--
The song itself is vulnerable, as it pins its whole structure on a scarce few beats, synths, and words; if they failed on any the entire thing comes apart with no excuse.--
I resent the saying “tell the truth and you’ll never have to remember anything’’, because that’s not how it feels god dammit! I search myself endlessly for how I truly feel and I’m never ever sure. If truth is objective and consistent, then it doesn’t exist moment to moment with me. I know that leaves me open in the future, but come at me. Like this list, I might be hating this ten years from now, but I’m not you and you’re not me.

2. The Blow- Think About Me [ElectroPop/I Put Your Play Together: 2-3-1-3-1-3-1-3-1-3...]

A tightly packed peek at the conflicted mind of an ex-lover: I deserve something permanent, some proof that I ever mattered to you. Looking at your life now, I can’t see my markings. I don’t even need to hear that you still care for me, I just want to know that I come into your thoughts at all. I know you won’t let me be the light in your life, but I don’t deserve to be written out of it altogether. You’re being cruel when you make it look forgetting so easy. Remember when you were the problem? When you were the one doing the convincing?

1. Hannah Diamond- Fade Away [PC Music/I’m Sorry My Garnet]

Whenever I say goodbye it’s not even losing that person that hits first; because there’s some comfort in recognizing the person will live on without you. The thing that immediately disappears is that mixture you’d made together. The character transitions into memories, the potential for more of the same ended and only the echoes remain. I immediately hold a small funeral for the memories. I remember the first time; I watched him disappear while I stood under the streetlight.
Maybe the pain is the reorganization that mentally takes place. Moving the remnants of your time together out of the present folder and into the past section. --
When I think of my terrible wrongs, I should think first of my seconds. But I inevitably feel most drawn to our thirds. I feel ashamed for hollowing out their stone, I’ll do better.

Oh my God... Hannah Diamond at #1?

HELL YES.

I'll be turning to this thread for more recs when I need them. Great stuff.

Oh my God... Hannah Diamond at #1?

HELL YES.
Eventually the whole damn list will be PC Music.

Wasn't expecting Fade Away to be in the top slot at the end, I had initially put it in the 20's or something earlier. But man, I honestly think it's an actual perfect song moment to moment.

PC music is amazing, yeah. I think if I had to bring one genre (or whatever you want to call PC music) to a desert island for the rest of my life... it'd be Hannah Diamond, AG Cook and co.

@Slappydavis: I posted these questions and comments on the SpyParty forums but I'm not sure if you saw them. Might as well cross-post them here, though, and you can cross-post the answers if you like:

1) You have a discernible taste. I say that in a completely value-neutral way.

2) Before that Beyonce song, I had heard of exactly zero of these people. I am no longer With It™.

3) Do you actually listen to the instrumental/trace stuff, or is it primarily background music for something else?

4) How much thought was put into the ranking? Is it very specific, with each decision receiving genuine thought, or is that just the case near the top, and the rest are general ranges?

5) I like what you said about having a connection to your past emotions. That seems smart, and like a great personal investment you'll be glad you made later.

6) Have you done these for previous years (I think I remember that you have)? I like to discover new music, and used to put a lot of time into it, but it's hard to justify that effort now. So effectively outsourcing that, and piggybacking on something you're doing anyway, would be cool. EDIT: nevermind, found last year's. How far back do these go?

Just a combination of a) being busier in general and b) having fewer situations where I can listen to it. When I was younger I listened to a lot of music in the background while doing site work, but I work in shorter, more focused bursts now, and often find music to be a distraction.

That said, if I can find a good way to have a bunch of semi-curated recommendations just going in the background while I drive or use the stationary bike or something, that would work, at least occasionally. I guess just Pandora?

I haven't used Pandora much but as far as I know it's just radio. You should try Spotify. They're fantastic for finding new music.

I thought the idea behind Pandora was you pick a station based on a song you like, and you get recommendations based on that? I mean, I don't imagine it's great, given such little input, but I assume that would at least eliminate a lot of stuff I wouldn't like, even just based on that one choice.

Does Spotify have something like that, where with a little time upfront, I can basically discover passively? If I have to pick each song or artist, that's when it becomes an activity unto itself, and then it becomes another thing vying for time and attention, as opposed to something I can layer on top of an existing activity.

I thought the idea behind Pandora was you pick a station based on a song you like, and you get recommendations based on that? I mean, I don't imagine it's great, given such little input, but I assume that would at least eliminate a lot of stuff I wouldn't like, even just based on that one choice.

Does Spotify have something like that, where with a little time upfront, I can basically discover passively? If I have to pick each song or artist, that's when it becomes an activity unto itself, and then it becomes another thing vying for time and attention, as opposed to something I can layer on top of an existing activity.
Spotify has radio like Pandora, but it also has access to full albums, personally curated playlists like "Discover Weekly", and artist pages with "related artists" sections. I really love it, personally. I've found a lot of great stuff I wouldn't have heard before. I think the "Discover Weekly" playlist is what you're looking for. After you get it and listen to the kind of music you like for maybe a week (so they can figure out what you listen to), they start making a weekly playlist for you with recommendations. You can just turn that on and find some great new stuff. And then there is the radio section, which is just like Pandora as far as I know. Man, I sound like an ad, but yeah - it's cool.

@Slappydavis: I posted these questions and comments on the SpyParty forums but I'm not sure if you saw them. Might as well cross-post them here, though, and you can cross-post the answers if you like:
Oh damn! I did see them but I got down a rabbit hole on how to answer the last question and I never actually did it and then forgot.

1) You have a discernible taste. I say that in a completely value-neutral way.
I think that's very true. I kinda wish I was able to equally enjoy all forms of music, but there are entire genres I just can't seem to get into (big band, reggae, most jazz tbh).

2) Before that Beyonce song, I had heard of exactly zero of these people. I am no longer With It™.
Most of those before Beyonce I can't shame you for not knowing. Except Bon Iver, shame on you old man. And I guess Mac Miller (though that song is an exception, I'm not usually a fan).

3) Do you actually listen to the instrumental/trace stuff, or is it primarily background music for something else?
Depends on the song, and even for the songs it can change. For example I have these hue light bulbs that react to sound in my apartment. And I definitely listened to all of the Skeppet track while just looking at the lights and loving the trance state.

But often, the longer songs are just really good for getting me into a state of mind, rather than the actual trajectory of the song.

4) How much thought was put into the ranking? Is it very specific, with each decision receiving genuine thought, or is that just the case near the top, and the rest are general ranges?
General overview:
Over the course of the year, I collect songs that particularly stood out to me into a playlist. I listen to this playlist a few times over the course of the year and some tracks fall out and some tracks stand out even more.

Before I start getting serious about the list, I "seed" the songs into a pre-ranking. Where I order the songs on a gut feeling about where the song will end up. What this is supposed to reflect is that when it comes to my favorite music, there will often be an advantage to whatever I heard most recently. As I listen to the songs to get my thoughts in order, they can rise or fall up or down (or off) the list.

To directly answer your question, I did try to put them in an exact order, but I'd suspect that there's something like a +/- 5 spots on each song. But if you go beyond 10 spots, I'd say there's a discernible difference in my own enjoyment. At a point in time of course, they'll change "rankings" forever as I age. I do aim for the rankings to have some personal meaning because I actually like going back through the lists and having the thought, man, how did this song end below that song when it's clearly so much better?

5) I like what you said about having a connection to your past emotions. That seems smart, and like a great personal investment you'll be glad you made later.
Thinking about the investment the only way I ever make these. To be totally honest, the amount of effort I put into this is embarrassingly large, and it feels like work a lot of the time. But I know how much I love going back through old lists of mine, and it's the only way that I'm able to functionally have some sort of journal of what the music is compelling from me at a given time.

6) Have you done these for previous years (I think I remember that you have)?
I've done top albums since 2012, when it was part of a challenge of an old music community I was part of at that time. That community is dead now, but I kept the habit because of how rewarding it felt. I didn't really dive fully into songs until last year. And I really enjoyed it and it'll probably end up being the "best" of the 3 lists because it's more accessible, and it's more personal to a specific feeling. The albums list will do more of a traditional evaluation, though certainly still self centered because, cmon, it's me still.

I like to discover new music, and used to put a lot of time into it, but it's hard to justify that effort now. So effectively outsourcing that, and piggybacking on something you're doing anyway, would be cool.
To be honest, I looooove trying to figure out music that will fit people. If you (or anyone else) is looking for recommendations, hit me up with any criteria (or none!).

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
No J-pop? THE LIST IS WORTHLESS!!!!!!!!!!111111111

Seriously, though. A pretty cool list. I'd replace some of these (HIP-HOP!!!!!!!!!!111111) with some better choices, but it's your taste after all. I hope the 2017 one will have some bitchin' choices!!!!11
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.