BBC Top 100 Films of the 21st Century

Tools    

Good list

Here's the full list, mostly so i don't keep having to click on the link. One i've seen in bold:

100. Requiem for a Dream (Darren Aronofsky, 2000)
96. Finding Nemo (Andrew Stanton, 2003)
95. Moonrise Kingdom (Wes Anderson, 2012)
94. Let the Right One In (Tomas Alfredson, 2008)
93. Ratatouille (Brad Bird, 2007)
92. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (Andrew Dominik, 2007)
90. The Pianist (Roman Polanski, 2002)
88. Spotlight (Tom McCarthy, 2015)
87. Amélie (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001)
83. A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Steven Spielberg, 2001)
80. The Return (Andrey Zvyagintsev, 2003)
79. Almost Famous (Cameron Crowe, 2000)
78. The Wolf of Wall Street (Martin Scorsese, 2013)
73. Before Sunset (Richard Linklater, 2004)
66. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter…and Spring (Kim Ki-duk, 2003)
63. The Turin Horse (Béla Tarr and Ágnes Hranitzky, 2011)
62. Inglourious Basterds (Quentin Tarantino, 2009)
58. Moolaadé (Ousmane Sembène, 2004)
57. Zero Dark Thirty (Kathryn Bigelow, 2012)
53. Moulin Rouge! (Baz Luhrmann, 2001)
51. Inception (Christopher Nolan, 2010)
44. 12 Years a Slave (Steve McQueen, 2013)
41. Inside Out (Pete Docter, 2015)
40. Brokeback Mountain (Ang Lee, 2005)
35. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Ang Lee, 2000)
33. The Dark Knight (Christopher Nolan, 2008)
30. Oldboy (Park Chan-wook, 2003)
29. WALL-E (Andrew Stanton, 2008)
27. The Social Network (David Fincher, 2010)
25. ​Memento (Christopher Nolan, 2000)
24. The Master (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2012)
22. Lost in Translation (Sofia Coppola, 2003)
21. The Grand Budapest Hotel (Wes Anderson, 2014)
19. Mad Max: Fury Road (George Miller, 2015)
17. Pan's Labyrinth (Guillermo Del Toro, 2006)
13. Children of Men (Alfonso Cuarón, 2006)
12. Zodiac (David Fincher, 2007)
10. No Country for Old Men (Joel and Ethan Coen, 2007)
7. The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick, 2011)
6. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry, 2004)
4. Spirited Away (Hayao Miyazaki, 2001)
3. There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007)
1. Mulholland Drive (David Lynch, 2001)[/b]
These are the ones I've seen

You can't take a list seriously that has WALL-E at #29 but no Denis Villeneuve movies.
Wall-E is the lesser of the problems there, though. Lost in translation is at #22. Now that's an issue.

Welcome to the human race...
You can't take a list seriously that has WALL-E at #29 but no Denis Villeneuve movies.
Depends on your opinion of Villeneuve. I've seen four of his films so far and I'd only really consider Incendies and Sicario for this list (don't really rate Prisoners or Enemy too highly myself), but I'm not too burned-up that neither one made it. I can't really get too angry over aggregated lists just because they include a film I dislike or omit one I like - would I really be justified in saying that the list was worthless because it didn't include a single Edgar Wright movie? Most of these films are at least as respectable as anything that Villeneuve has ever done, so I'm not going to take it too seriously.

I don't think Edgar Wright and Villeneuve are on the same page as much as as I like Wright's films! For a bunch of top critics to not include a single Villeneuve movie on this list just strikes me as a massive oversight. He's one of the greatest Directors since the turn of the century.

I am a David Lynch fan and I don't see why they rated Mullholland drive at #1. I think there were better films, and i can't believe that any of Lynch's films would appeal to enough people to be rated #1.

I am a David Lynch fan and I don't see why they rated Mullholland drive at #1. I think there were better films, and i can't believe that any of Lynch's films would appeal to enough people to be rated #1.
Time to start believing, then.

It's worth noting that there isn't a points system in place either - whether a film was at one person's #1 or another person's #10, it still got two equally worthy votes. It seems like Mulholland Drive got put on more lists than any other film did, which resulted in it being ranked at #1. I probably wouldn't have put it at #1 on my list personally, but I can understand its appeal - it's sufficiently cinematic, unorthodox, and challenging in a way that guarantees it more resonance and staying power than something like, say, A Beautiful Mind.

Some classics need time to be widely acknowledged. In this case it took 15 years. One might say that's haw far "Mulholland Drive" was ahead of it's time.

Interesting list...there are 32 films on the list that I have never even heard of. There were a couple of pleasant surprises I really didn't expect to see, like Far From Heaven, Finding Nemo, and Her.

These were the ones i hadn't heard of:

100. Toni Erdmann (Maren Ade, 2016)
100. Carlos (Olivier Assayas, 2010)
89. The Headless Woman (Lucrecia Martel, 2008)

Toni Erdmann made a make splash at Cannes this year, I think it's Germany's oscar nominee this year.

Carlos, I think HK recommended that to me before, or someone did. It's not strictly a film (edited: Actually it got played a lot of places in all sorts of film lengths, there's different versions), but like a four part mini-series or something. When I saw it on the list I didn't initially recognise it until I checked either.

These were the ones i hadn't heard of:

100. Toni Erdmann (Maren Ade, 2016)
100. Carlos (Olivier Assayas, 2010)
89. The Headless Woman (Lucrecia Martel, 2008)
Bah, I actually passed on attending a screening of The Headless Woman that happened some time before this list came out. On the other hand, White Material was on TV the day after so...balance?

White Material seems to be something that appears on a lot of these lists. Claire Denis is like the token female director that you expect to see. That's not to say she isn't great i've only seen 35 Shots of Rum from her and i liked it, Andrea Arnold (Fish Tank), Katheryn Bigelow (Hurt Locker), seem to be the other major ones featured, surprised Lynne Ramsay isn't included. Not a complaint, i think it says more about me that i can't think of many female directors outside of those fore and Chantel Akerman who is retired i think.

A quick IMDb search reveals that Akerman was still directing up until her death in 2015, so I'm guessing whatever she did hadn't really resonated with critics enough to make it into a final list. I don't think I'd even heard of White Material and I barely know Denis - haven't seen anything she's done yet anyway (same goes for Arnold). Obviously some gaps in my film-watching that need filling.