The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I'm with you on being upset about no Altman. One of those directors who I think suffers from having too many films, everyone seems to have a different favourite

Me too and I agree. I know McCabe & Mrs Miller is a bit of a darling around here (or was a few years ago) but Gosford Park is my favourite.

Finally getting into the part of the list where my films are popping, but first:

There Will Be Blood s a freakin masterpiece. PTA's best by far in my opinion. I. Will. Drink. Your. Milkshake. Rocky is outstanding as well, great film. Voted for neither because of films like the next two.

Night of the Hunter - obviously I love it, look at my image. It was my #3 - the scariest movie I've ever seen. Terrifying! Incredible tension. Such a shame Laughton directed only one film - if it had to be one, however, thank god he picked this dark, twisted morality fairy tale madness to bring to the world. Anyone in this thread who hasn't seen this one needs to correct this fast.

North by Northwest is a pure masterpiece - my 3rd favorite Hitch film. The logical culmination of the film he kept re-making and perfecting from The 39 Steps on. Probably Cary Grant's best film. A must.

Bob Altman had four movies make the MoFo '70s List: MASH (#78), Nashville (#43), McCabe & Mrs. Miller (#22), and The Long Goodbye (#19). Which doesn't even account for his latter output like Short Cuts, The Player, or Gosford Park.

McCabe (which was also #17 on the MoFo Westerns List) or Long Goodbye may still sneak in, but if they were going to make it I would think it would be the bottom fifty and they would have shown by now.

We shall see.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I've got some great stats on decades and directors, and even which actors appear the most often, but if I list them it'll give a lot away, so you'll have to wait a few more weeks. But you'll get 'em, so feel free to register your guesses somewhere.

Is this really Tomorrow's hint? just making sure

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Actually that leaves 5 slots. Lebowski and The Departed could obviously too. I'm probably missing a couple glaring omissions.
I also believe Stalker and/or The Mirror will make it. I don't think Andrei Rublev is the most popular Tarkovsky flick here at MoFo and it already placed at #67, so unless those two better-loved titles completely split his vote among his supporters I suspect we will see more of him here on this countdown.

Is this really Tomorrow's hint? just making sure
Nah. I normally won't post them that early, anyway. And I'll always put "Tomorrow's hint" in front.

Don't worry, you guys are getting another self-indulgent poem hint in a few hours.

Since he was brought up, I've only seen 3 Robert Altman films (Gosford Park, The Player, and The Gingerbread Man). I really enjoyed the first two, even if they didn't make it to my list. I should really rewatch The Player also. It's been a long, long time. As for Gingerbread Man, that was obviously a studio work and, although it's been a while, I seem to recall it being a serviceable 90's thriller, whatever that means.

What should I prioritize? And if you say M*A*S*H, tell me if I should watch the show also, and which should I watch first

Since he was brought up, I've only seen 3 Robert Altman films (Gosford Park, The Player, and The Gingerbread Man). I really enjoyed the first two, even if they didn't make it to my list. I should really rewatch The Player also. It's been a long, long time. As for Gingerbread Man, that was obviously a studio work and, although it's been a while, I seem to recall it being a serviceable 90's thriller, whatever that means.

What should I prioritize? And if you say M*A*S*H, tell me if I should watch the show also, and which should I watch first
Definitely don't need to watch the television series "MASH" before the film. If you do like Altman's film it is interesting to watch the first handful of episodes from that first season of the television show as initially they tried to incorporate Altman's style before falling back into more common sitcom elements of the day.

I love MASH and it is very accessible, thus a good place to start. The Long Goodbye and McCabe & Mrs. Miller are good starting places too as they use the detective and western genres well as their spines, which makes them feel familiar even though what Altman is doing with them is very unfamiliar. Which may be part of what you respond to in The Player, which has all of Altman's trademarks but grafted onto a murder mystery coupled with a Hollywood satire.

Nashville and Short Cuts are really his "masterpieces" with huge casts, sometimes intersecting storylines but not much overreaching plot to speak of, plus all of the trademark overlapping dialogue and improvisational style that is most identifiable as Robert Altman. If you continue to groove to him you may find some of the outliers like 3 Women, Brewster McCloud, or Images really float your boat, but I wouldn't recommend starting there.

Forrest Gump - it very nice in the first watch, but to quote recent adj it has been lukewarm ever since

Singin' in the Rain - no go for musical

Die Hard - lukewarm

The Tree of Life - with the exception of the thin red line, Malick's transcendental magic barely incites me. I guess I need to rewatch this at some point.

City of meh - Nah

There Will Be Blood - a great addition

Rocky - lukewarm

The Night of the hunter - I hate this movie

North by Northwest - a good Hitchcock. thrill spectacle.

at this point, this list really needs the hands of Bresson.
Is Bresson popular here? It would be cool for one or more of his films to make this list.

As always Holden puts it perfectly. I would just add that California Split is super fun so don't sleep on it. Especially if you watch and like Long Goodbye.

Side note: I watched Vincent And Theo a couple months ago and was shocked how much I enjoyed it. Not one you hear much about. @Holden Pike, do you enjoy that one?

Is Bresson popular here? It would be cool for one or more of his films to make this list.
not sure. I bet many mofos here already encounter at least one of his stuff, but to my knowledge, he still a quite peculiar name here.

As always Holden puts it perfectly. I would just add that California Split is super fun so don't sleep on it. Especially if you watch and like Long Goodbye.

Side note: I watched Vincent And Theo a couple months ago and was shocked how much I enjoyed it. Not one you hear much about. @Holden Pike, do you enjoy that one?
I like Vincent & Theo a lot. It got so overshadowed by the subsequent back-to-back triumphs of The Player and Short Cuts, but at the time it was widely heralded as a return to form after spending much of the '80s dabbling in television projects like "Tanner '88" and "The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial", "The Laundromat", and "Basements"; the first real hint of that 1970s genius in many a moon.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
A Man Escaped got to #70 on the 1950s list so the chances of making the all time top 100 are pretty slim I would say.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
What I assume rounds put the list, with a few open spots to spare:

Spirited Away
Spirited Away only got to #95 in 2010, would be quite a leap.

No chance for Sonatine or Quills this time around?

I think there will be a few surprises yet. And I'm still betting on Guardians of the Galaxy.