The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Presentation is slick, concise and all kinds of very f@ckin cool!!
AWESOME JOB @Yoda!!

I think i've only seen 1 or 2 Bergman films, one of them was The Virgin Spring which I did like but have not seen The Seventh Seal
Have seen Brazil a number of times in my life. Not my favorite Gilliam but a solid film nonetheless.
Haven not seen Suspiria, most likely won't

Very strong start to this Countdown -- pretty excited to see how this all plays out

Movies Watched 1 out of 2 (50%)
25. Cyrano de Bergerac (1950) One Pointer

25. Step Brothers (2008) One Pointer - Mistakenly earlier after the one pointers were released and thought it was #26 but it was #25. Oh yea and also don't forget about that f*cking Catalina wine mixer

Funny that The Seventh Seal is the first film to make an appearance after I was just talking crap about it in my Bogus Journey write-up. Having watched Bill & Ted parody it so successfully makes it a little hard for me to take its austerity seriously, as I find myself waiting for Max von Sydow to sweep aside the chess board for a game of Twister or Clue. ("Sorry, Death. You lose. It was Professor Plum!") Regardless, it's obviously a great film and I think it was my introduction to Bergman. None of his films are personal favorites, but I always admire their craft and thematic heft. I'd rank The Seventh Seal up there with Friday the 13th: The New Blood when it comes to best seventh installments of a franchise.

I dig the weirdness and imagination of Gilliam's films, but rarely enjoy the films themselves. I'll give Brazil another chance someday due to its reputation and maybe something will click, but I hated it on my first watch. I'm not sophisticated enough for satire, and I can't even type "bureaucracy" without my eyes glazing over.

The visual feast and audio assault of Suspiria is, to put it poetically, amazeballs. Possibly the most gorgeous horror film ever made. I didn't vote for it here, but it was on my horror ballot, and I'm happy to see it make the cut.

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
Stoked about Suspiria making the cut. Wasn't on my list but its definitely in my top 100 somewhere.

I've only seen 3 Bergman films: Persona, Smiles of a Summer Night, and The Seventh Seal, and my reaction to all three couldn't have been more disparate from each other. Like I said, I need to rewatch The Seventh Seal, but I would rather keep on testing other films of his. Any recommendation? Obviously Wild Strawberries comes up a lot on lists and Bergman discussions, as does Fanny and Alexander, but I also heard good stuff about Winter Light. I think it was when I saw First Reformed, which I loved, that I read comparisons to it.

Also, as far as Suspiria goes, without spoiling anything, how does everyone compare it to the remake?

I've only seen 3 Bergman films: Persona, Smiles of a Summer Night, and The Seventh Seal, and my reaction to all three couldn't have been more disparate from each other. Like I said, I need to rewatch The Seventh Seal, but I would rather keep on testing other films of his. Any recommendation? Obviously Wild Strawberries comes up a lot on lists and Bergman discussions, as does Fanny and Alexander, but I also heard good stuff about Winter Light. I think it was when I saw First Reformed, which I loved, that I read comparisons to it.

Also, as far as Suspiria goes, without spoiling anything, how does everyone compare it to the remake?
I haven't seen the remake of Suspiria, but in regards to Bergman, I've seen and can recommend Wild Strawberries, Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light, and Fanny and Alexander. I love all four of them.

I'm bummed that my movie didn't make the one pointer list...as I have my doubts that it will make the list, though it should!

The House on Haunted Hill (1959)....Could be Siddon's?

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)...Neiba?

Poison for the Fairies (1984)...Oh I know who that belongs to

Sunday in New York (1963)...Sounds like a Gbgoodies choice

A Man For All Seasons (1966)...Pussy Galore's?

A Ghost Story (2017)...UsualSuspect maybe.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)...I shut this movie off after 15 minutes it was so overcooked, glad it didn't make the list!

The Florida Project (2017)....Rauls?

Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987)...might be Edarsneal's

My Favorite Year (1982) ...I bet that wa
s Siddon's

I love the thought process...

I didn't put any William Castle films on my list...very deserving but I had to be realistic. I did however put Richard Benjamin's My Favorite Year (1982) on my list as my 1 pointer.

Everyone talks about Peter O'Toole and he's great but everyone is great in this. O'Toole anchors the humor with heart (while doing great physical comedy)

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Haven't seen Brazil yet. I'm imagining it could range from decent to good for me. Gilliam is an interesting director to say the least.

Heres my Suspiria write up from the Horror Hall of Fame:

Suspiria

There we go. This was a good one and was just what I was hoping to see. The visuals and the musical backdrop are both the critical components of the success of this film, but I also thought the death scenes were well executed. While horror generally means dark and dreary, the brightness and vibrancy of the film gave it a rather unique atmosphere while still maintaining the horror type of setting. It gave off a nightmarish feeling to it, while not feeling too simplistic. I didn't think the story was all that badly executed either. You can't really go too in depth on a horror story in my opinion but you don't want it to seem cheesy either, The acting wasn't great but it was covered up by getting so caught up in the visuals and the atmosphere of the film. I enjoyed it all around to be honest.

I didn't like the remake. I sort of agree with Argento on this one: “it did not excite me, it betrayed the spirit of the original film: There is no fear, there is no music. The film has not satisfied me so much.

I'm gonna be trashy and say that one of my favorite Bergmans is The Magician, which has some of the existential stuff but also a decent dose of thriller-y stuff.

Franny and Alexander is great and I honestly think you will really like it.

Wild Strawberries is a really solid film with some memorable imagery, but I think that it often suffers from an inflated reputation. I find it very charming.

Winter Light is very good, and leans very strongly toward the "inner life of the character" model. The performances are excellent.

Cries and Whispers is incredibly emotionally compelling.

The Silence is weird and wonderful.

The Virgin Spring is a more "conventional" narrative about revenge.

Hour of the Wolf leans more toward horror. I haven't seen it in over a decade, but I know I really liked it.

Through a Glass Darkly is amazing.

The Devil's Eye is a fun little comedy with some surprisingly good chemistry between the leads.

i'll say just find your own bergman mix. Winter light coukd have nice allusion with first reformed.
His body of work is very nice to explore even in the end not all of them will workout for you. And sometimes it strengthening by another rewatch.
My favorite right now is wild strawberries (it was in my first cut for the list), autumn sonata, persona amd the silence. That being said i've yet to see any bad bergman film except cries and whisper that feel so underwhelmed.
Still longing to see shame and a scene of marriage though.

Haven't seen Brazil yet. I'm imagining it could range from decent to good for me. Gilliam is an interesting director to say the least...
I'd bet you like it, seems like it might be up your alley.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I tried my best to message people who did mistakes on their entries (double listing movies, missing numbers, not specifying the year for original or remake, etc) Some people sent in partials, I was able to get a few people to resubmit with a full 25 movies.

As of this countdown, 2 lists ended up being partials.

Suspect's Reviews

The trick is not minding
I didn't like the remake. I sort of agree with Argento on this one: “it did not excite me, it betrayed the spirit of the original film: There is no fear, there is no music. The film has not satisfied me so much.
Although I liked it, I told my GF at the time (we were lucky to find it playing at the Waterfront In Pittsburgh) that it was really a different film from the original.
Nowhere near as well done, either.

The original Suspiria is one of my all time favorites (not sure if it made my list) and hardly saw any reason to remake it being that film is almost exclusively about its style. But I ended up really liking the remake. A lot. It has almost nothing but the location and the witches in common with the original, but I loved how it twisted these things into an entirely different shape.

Master of My Domain
Not too keen on The Seventh Seal ––*I'm more of a Persona guy, though an 'okay' film from Ingmar Bergman is still, like, two standard deviations above the average film.

Maybe that's why I love Suspiria? As others have mentioned, it's visually mesmerizing. And as someone who isn't comfortable with horror yet, I appreciate the emphasis on atmosphere rather than in-your-face scares. Great film.

Master of My Domain
what are you five
The Devil's Rejects but starring sleep-deprived toddlers