The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Ok, first things first, those presentation posts look awesome. I'll also echo the thanks to both @Yoda and @TheUsualSuspect for making this possible.

As for The Seventh Seal, I haven't seen it in probably 10 years, but I wasn't a huge fan of it. I should probably rewatch it, but I remember being put down by the way the film shifted its focus from Antonius to the trope of actors.

Suspiria is a pretty good film. Love the visuals and the atmosphere it creates, but I have some minor issues with the very last act. I don't think it was executed as well as it could've.

Brazil is a huge blindspot of mine. I've been meaning to watch it for a long time.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was particularly good, language-wise.
I thank you. The only reason I thought it more likely is because you said it had been mentioned previously in this thread, which Twelve Monkeys had not. The Seventh Seal flew right over my head.

As for the movies so far, seen all 3, liked all 3, especially Brazil which had an outside chance at making my list.

Skepsis' List  

Lovely presentation Yods

Shame for The Seventh Seal on just missing out, it's a solid movie centred very nicely by von Sydow that I do like but just can't seem to love like so many do.

Nice to see both of these get some love and make the list.
It's been a while since I last watched Brazil but it's a movie I've enjoyed watching more than once and, Covid-willing, I hope it'll get another viewing before too long.
Suspiria's one I own, it's a fun watch and I love Argento's aesthetics.

Clearly The Titfield Thunderbolt must have exceeded even my wildest expectations

Seen: 2/2 (Own: 1/2)
My list:  

Faildictions (Eternal vsn 1.0):
98. 2046 (2004)
97. Witness For The Prosecution (1957)

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I tried to watch "Brazil" at least once, and turned it off by the time "the cable guy" Robert De Niro came in.

I turned off "Suspiria" this year within 10-15 minutes (after seeing a few good horror movies)

Hey, one of mine hit right from the top (or is it the bottom). I had Terry Gilliam's Brazil on my list at number nineteen. That accounts for only seven if its 69 points, but that was good enough to propel it onto the list. Brazil is one of those movies, like Citizen Kane and Apocalypse Now, where the behind-the-scenes story is as interesting as the finished film, which may in fact elevate it even higher than its purely artistic merits. In Brazil's case Gilliam's fights - some of them public - with the studio came not during shooting but after the production was completed, over the cut of the film and its release. Happily Gilliam's version has survived and thrived, thanks in large part to The Criterion Collection.

I managed to see Brazil during its brief theatrical run and many times on television and on VHS, including a trippy viewing of the "Happy Ending" cut on local TV late at night that inspired me to read and re-read Jack Matthews' 1987 book The Battle of Brazil: Terry Gilliam v. Universal Pictures in the Fight to the Final Cut. I wondered if Gilliam's true vision would ever be seen. The day the Criterion LaserDisc boxed set was released was a memorable one for me. I spent a glorious dozen hours or so obsessively pouring over the film itself and then the amazing wealth of extras.

It just had to be on my list of Top 25 movies. Even without my 27B/6 paperwork.

HOLDEN'S LIST
19. Brazil (#100)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

What’s the hint people are talking about ?

Haven't watched the Seventh Seal and Suspiria. Plan to watch the former.

Brazil was 4th in my list, and 5th in my profile's favourites list (I have added a Bollywood movie at 2 which I didn't think would make the 100 list)

There is so much to love in the movie. The music, story, acting, imagery and that end.

I also have this pointless theory about Brazil which I speak often. If you have watched Mad Max Fury Road, you will see quite a few similarities.
WARNING: spoilers below

Dystopian future where men rule, short haired cool heroine who drives a big truck, fighting for other people's rights and is dismissive of the hero at first.

Anyways, Brazil is a special movie. Kinda surprised it's ranked so low.

@Yoda the presentation looks amazing. The added bit of the movie's user reviews and where it fits in people's favourite lists is a brilliant idea.

Love the presentation, Yoda!

I've seen around a dozen or so Ingmar Bergman movies including The Seventh Seal. I had a lot of respect for it, but I can't say that I particularly enjoyed it.

I HATED Brazil and haven't seen Suspiria.

My Ballot:
25. Clay Pigeons (One-Pointers)

Not to mention more influential, as obviously Ingmar Bergman used a time-traveling phone booth of his own to steal its ideas for The Seventh Seal. Suck it, Swede: Playing Battleship against Death remains far more genius than a game of chess. "Best two out of three?"
That's exactly what Death is saying after just missing the countdown:

But seriously, it was so hard to keep quiet when you were posting this, knowing it was going to lead right into the honorable mention.

I had my issues with The Seventh Seal when I first saw it, but I've been meaning to revisit it for a while. I love both Brazil and Susprira quite a lot. They're both among my favorite films of their respective decades.

The Seventh Seal losing to Brazil and Suspiria? I mean, I love all three but let's not compare an all-time great morality tale to two solid products of entertainment.
I personally think simply calling both Brazil and Suspiria entertainment is not giving them enough credit. At least my definition of entertainment, which is an experience you leave behind in the theater and don't take with you. Both of those films linger with me and have moved me in different ways.

Bergman is a significantly better director than either Argento or Gilliam, but I'm okay with both of those films beating what I've always found was a pretty mid tier Bergman. Seal and Strawberries have always taken up a bit too much of the oxygen in the room when it comes to a filmography as deeply impressive as IB's. So many others to choose from

*Cough* The Silence *sneeze* Scenes From A Marriage *wheeze* Hour of the Wolf *chortle* Fanny and Alexander *silence as I stare into the void that is existence*

Well, never made it through "Brazil". Odd because I love other Gilliam projects. Haven't see "The Seventh Seal" in nearly four decades, so don't remember the spirit of the film. Never seen "Suspiria" which doesn't really surprise me because horror is my least favorite genre. So...

0-3 off my list but have viewed 1 1/2 of these choices. Sad start to maybe exposing my list as a fraud. Also would like to echo the presentation, good work to all involved.

A system of cells interlinked
Moonlight? La La Land? Probably something/everything from the Peele/Eggers/Aster triumvirate? Portrait of a Lady on Fire would be a good choice. Blade Runner 2049, or any Villeneuve, as well. Also Under the Skin might be a longshot? I haven't seen it, but based on how much praise I read for it, it might be an option.
I briefly considered 2049, but it ultimately didn't make the cut. Huge fan of the film, but other films ended up edging it out.

Persona is my favorite of Bergman's films and has been ever since I watched it. I've loved pretty much every film I've seen from him though. He's one of the greats.