The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I can name a great and beautiful film that will not be on that list.

Marketa Lazarova

I said yesterday the "first film you'd see" would involved Numbers and Animals. Well, there was a bit of a trick to that, because the "first film you'd see" is not #100, but in fact our lone Honorable Mention.

It gets Honorable Mention not just because it just missed the cut, but because it lost the #100 spot with the counting of the last ballot! It is:

The Seventh Seal

Ingmar Bergman, 1957

• 69 points
  • 5 lists
100. Brazil

Director

Terry Gilliam, 1985

Starring

Jonathan Pryce, Robert De Niro, Katherine Helmond, Ian Holm

• 70 points
  • 3 lists
99. Suspiria

Director

Dario Argento, 1977

Starring

Jessica Harper, Stefania Casini, Flavio Bucci, Miguel Bosé

Oh no, The Seventh Seal didn't make the actual list. It was #13 on my ballot. Here's what I wrote of it over two years ago:
The Seventh Seal  

Suspiria is one of those Italian films I regret not voting for. In hindsight, it probably should have replaced something on my list, but in reality, I didn't vote for it. Extremely happy to see it make the list though.

I've seen Brazil a couple of times, and while it's pretty good it was never in consideration for me. Not very surprised to see it on the list though.

Seen 2/2
My list this far:
13: The Seventh Seal (1957) [honorable mention]
25: Poison of the Fairies (1984) [1-pointer]

@Yoda - Release more movies please lol jk, atleast were getting this started now. The first three movies I have never seen before, the presentation looks nice btw, good job

I wonder what Movies that launched after the old list will find their way onto the new one ?

I think Inception is to be expected.

Maybe Carol ?

There were a lot of movies that I loved in the last 10 years but most were either Indy fare (such as Winter’s Bone), Foreign stuff (Portrait of a Lady) or not very well received by the public in general (Blade Runner 2049) or just too weird (Hardcore Henry) so I don’t see any of them making the list.
Moonlight? La La Land? Probably something/everything from the Peele/Eggers/Aster triumvirate? Portrait of a Lady on Fire would be a good choice. Blade Runner 2049, or any Villeneuve, as well. Also Under the Skin might be a longshot? I haven't seen it, but based on how much praise I read for it, it might be an option.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The Seventh Seal losing to Brazil and Suspiria? I mean, I love all three but let's not compare an all-time great morality tale to two solid products of entertainment.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The Seventh Seal, dang I don't think anyone even guessed that even though honorable mention.
I knew it was too niche to make it.

We tried MoFo debate establishing genre eligibility for our Westerns list. It mostly worked fine except for one title that was still hotly disputed (The Coen Bros.' No Country for Old Men). But, all in all, it was a better idea than just blindly following the IMDb's labels.
When you said controversial for being westerns I was expecting blazing saddles or certain Tarantino movies.

I cannot imagine calling No Country a western, it just isn’t !

Me, posting the hint: "this might be too obvious, everyone's gonna get it."

MoFos: a dozen films I hadn't even thought of

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was particularly good, language-wise. Twelve Monkeys was particularly good in terms of likelihood.

Brazil - I don't recall if I've ever seen it. Will have to investigate it. De Niro was in high demand then.

Suspira - There's your horror film, folks. I have a feeling that there will be several more.

Hey, you gotta like short titles...

Liking these choices already, Seventh Seal I believe may have been the first foreign language movie I remember watching. I think at one point I had Bergman in my top 3-4 directors. Brazil + Suspiria I just watched again this year and loved both of them.

Brazil - I don't recall if I've ever seen it. Will have to investigate it. De Niro was in high demand then.

Suspira - There's your horror film, folks. I have a feeling that there will be several more.

Hey, you gotta like short titles...
There was like only 4 horror films (if you count Jaws as a horror) on the 2010 list. Hopefully we get more than 4 and for the love of god the three horror movies on my 25 list, hopefully one of them makes it