What was the last movie you saw at the theaters?

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
The third setting is Tokyo as we meet a teenage girl named Chieko (Rinko Kikuchi) who is alternatively depressed, angry and rebellious. She's also a deaf mute, and we learn she lives with her father, played by Kôji Yakusho, and that her mother has recently died. She has a small group of girl friends from school who are also deaf and her Dad knows sign language, but when she walks around the teeming streets and clubs of Tokyo she is very much alone. She's dealing with that isolation as well as the grief about her mother and the usual awkwardness of being a teenager by acting out in sexual ways. She takes off her panties to show a group of boys in a cafeteria and she makes aggressive but unsure attempts at seduction with men like her dentist during an appointment.
Wow, I got to see it now.

I just saw Santa Clause 3. I by no way wanted to see this piece of horse *****, but it was for my sister's birthday party so it was required of me. It deserves an F, mostly for the poor exclusion of adult humor. Kids will more then likely love it, but dear god wait till it comes out on DVD. That way you [parents] won't be forced to watch it.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Stranger than Fiction (2006 - Marc Forster)

Going in I thought a narrative about a man who realizes he is the doomed character in a novel trying to contact the author and plead for his life was an attempt at Charlie Kaufman-lite. Kaufman, who has more or less invented a brand of movie storytelling unto himself with Being John Malkovich, Adaptation and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, is not someone who's style I was looking forward to being replicated by others. His success made it almost inevitable, and this year it finally happened. First there was two-time collaborator Michel Gondry's The Science of Sleep, which I loved and thought had enough Gondry in it to be Kaufmanesque but still be Gondry's. And I was quite happy to find out Stranger than Fiction too has tread its own path.

Will Ferrell, in toned-down mode from his most popular fare like Elf, Anchorman and Talladega Nights, is Harold Crick. He's a diligent if uninspired auditor for the Internal Revenue Service in Chicago who goes about his days doing little else but work and thinking about work. But this morning he has awoken to find there is a woman's voice seemingly following him and narrating his every move. He goes to a shrink (Linda Hunt) who diagnoses the problem as schizophrenia and suggests medication. But Harold is pretty sure it isn't schizophrenia, it's something...else. Since he calls it his narrator, she advises seeking the guidance of somebody who knows literature and Crick meets Professor Jules Hilbert (Dustin Hoffman). At first Hilbert dismisses him as a nutball, but when Harold recites some of the lines he's heard from the third person omniscient voice, the Professor is intrigued by the quality of the work and the philosophical predicament, so he agrees to help.

Of course being a cinematic fantasy, Harold Crick is not schizophrenic. There is in fact an author in charge of his fate, a recluse named Kay Eiffel (Emma Thompson). She's being pestered by her publisher to finally deliver the novel, Death & Taxes, that she's been working on for a decade. She's basically got it all in her head, except for she doesn't know how to kill off her main character, and the assisstant sent to help her (Queen Latifah) doesn't understand the depth of thought and consideration she puts into her work. While Eiffel is plotting ways to do in Harold, he's very aware of his imminent demise as he's heard the narration. He's also falling in love with Ana Pascal (Maggie Gyllenhaal), a baker he's been auditing, making the quest to find out who this narrator is and to plead for his life all the more important.

Ferrell is perfectly cast as Crick. While the first act of the movie has all of the "comic" bits of him yelling to the heavens in desperation asking the voice to get out of his head, for the rest of the story he's very restrained and a three dimensional character. Crick, who starts out a bit of a dullard, becomes energized and lusting for life once he realizes he's about to die, and the blossoming love between Harold and Ana is charming, funny and romantic. This same basic story could have been told about a man dying of a terminal disease and deciding he needs to live life to the fullest while he can, but the intricacies of the Kaufmanesque device are not just some high concept gimmick. They add so many fun, interesting and poetic layers to this story about fate, writing, love, life, death and wrist watches. One of the rules for writing the great Kurt Vonnegut listed was to "Be a sadist. No matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them—in order that the reader may see what they are made of." That is the task for Kay Eiffel, and she is facing a delimma if she becomes too attached to the character. As clever and fanciful as the film's central conceit is, ultimately the movie works because we, too, become attached to Harold Crick and his fate.

The entire cast is good, from Ferrell and Gyllenhaal to Thompson and Hoffman to the very small supporting roles from the likes of Tony Hale ("Arrested Development") and Tom Hulce. The script by Zach Helm is literate and smart while still being affecting and winning, all under the sure hand of director Marc Forster, who apparently hasn't yet met a tone or genre he doesn't like as his previous films were Monster's Ball (2001) and Finding Neverland (2004).

GRADE: B+
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

i cant remember. but it was good.

The last movie I saw is Madea's Family Reunion(which was a good movie)around the time it came out, which was like in February.(yeah I know, was a long time, but I'm going back to see movies in theatres again) I like this movie because I'm a big fan of Tyler Perry's work went he did the Madea's Family Reunion play, but I think the play was a little better.
I would give this movie an B-
And the play an A+
The next movie a will definally go see is:
Dreamgirls(looks like a good movie with one of my favorite comedian, Eddie Murphy)
Norbit( same as above)
Spider-Man 3(seen #1 on DVD, #2 in theatres,which was a great movie, and I will see Spider-Man 3 in theatres as one of the most anticipated movie of the year in my opinion)
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer(#1 on DVD, and #2 I will definally see in theatres also as one of the anticipated movie of the year)
Pirates 3(seen #1, but never seen Dead Man's Chest. I will son ee #2 on DVD and seen #3 in theatres)
Shrek the Third(seen the orginal and #2 in threatres and will see this one)

Jonestown: The Life and Death of Peoples Temple (2006 - Stanley Nelson)

A new documentary about the infamous Jim Jones featuring new archival footage and new interviews with some of those who survived, Jonestown does a very good job at giving the human side of the biggest mass suicide in recorded history. The story is told with plenty of photographs and film footage as well as the interviews with the likes of the Congressinal Aide, reporter and cameraman who survived the ambush on the Guyana airstrip that killed Leo Ryan and most of the others who were trying to leave that horrible day in 1978, two of the five Peoples Temple members who were in Jonestown that day but managed to escape into the jungle without being poisoned or shot, and others who had left the cult before it had moved from San Francisco to South America. I suppose the biggest "get" among them all is Jim Jones Jr., the Black adopted son who was not in Guyana when the killings happened and who speaks candidly about his life not only in the Temple but as Jones' actual family. Other than some of the pictures and interviews about Jones' earliest days in Indiana before he moved to California, I can't say there was a whole lot of "new" information for me. There are dozens of books on the subject and other movies and documentaries, the best known still probably the 1980 CBS TV mini-series "The Guyana Tragedy" starring Powers Boothe as Jones and backed an all-star cast. But while the facts aren't really new, some of the voices relaying them are, and even if you feel you know the story backwards and forwards it's as compelling and tragic as ever.

Almost exactly twenty-eight years later (the potassium cyanide-laced Kool-Aid and shootings that killed nearly a thousand people that day took place November 18th, 1978) it's still a bizarre, horrible, fascinating and almost unbelievable story.

GRADE: B+

PAGAN WISDOM SHALL REIGN AGAIN
Fearless. Only one thing JET LI. You want anything else? Great production, good directing and no many matrix tricks as it is based on historic character.

Jet Li was in this movie? Was he the lame Gngster who got Pwned?!!!

PAGAN WISDOM SHALL REIGN AGAIN
Not that Fearless, the new one

That was Zoolander with Adam Sandler, it seems like i wasn't in theatre since a long time ;-)

Originally Posted by Evi3000
That was Zoolander with Adam Sandler, it seems like i wasn't in theatre since a long time.
Are you pretending for some "joke" I don't get that Adam Sandler was in Zoolander, or are you just that clueless?

Kool Aid Man
I seen Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning and it sucked and i hated it end of story

the last movie i saw in theaters, i can not remember the name of the movie but maybe i can describe the best i can and someone could possibly help me out with the name! It takes place in a mental institute/hospital. The guy (not sure of his name but he's the main character) goes to the mental hospital working there i suppose. I believe he's schizophrenic because when he goes downstairs in the basement of the hospital there is a guy down there that only he can see and I think his name is ben. He killed a few people. Ugh sorry about the few details its been a while since i have seen it! But if you know what im talking about PLEASE let me know!

Originally Posted by lordoftheworld
Click
that was an ok movie it wasn't as funny as people said it was going to be. but i love adam sandler. any movie with him is good, except for punch drunk love and zoolander.

Just watched Jackass 2 last night. Didn't stop laughing. Much better than the first imo. 8/10

How can I be weak,I'm Rather Unique
The Departed.

Dreamgirls (2006 - Bill Condon)

I like the general idea of Dreamgirls, but was far less than wowed by the resulting movie. Adapted from the 1981 Tony-winning Broadway Musical, Dreamgirls is a thinly-veiled amalgamation about the founding of Motown records and some of its superstars, most specifically The Supremes. Jamie Foxx is Curtis Talyor Jr., the Barry Gordy Jr. surrogate who is a Detroit Cadillac salseman with hopes and schemes for his own record label. Into a local talent show come The Dreams, an all-female singing group consisting of Effie White (Jennifer Hudson), Deena Jones (Beyoncé Knowles) and Lorrell Robinson (Anika Noni Rose) who have a great sound, due in part to Effie's songwriting brother C.C. White (Keith Robinson). They're talented, but can't seem to catch a break. That break comes when established R&B star James "Thunder" Early (Eddie Murphy) needs some backup singers in a hurry. In step The Dreams, with Curtis as their new manager. Early is a horndog who quickly zeroes in on Lorrell, while Effie and Curtis start a romance of their own. With one of C.C.'s more Pop sounding songs, soon Jimmy Early and The Dreams are climbing the billboard charts, not just the R&B chart but the Top 100. However that is quickly stonewalled when a lilly white and completely non-threatening cover version with a different beat is released and goes all the way to number one.

From there it goes on a decade-long rollercoaster of success, betrayals, banishings and overreaching as the label is formed and The Dreams become superstars. If you know the basic history of Motown and The Supremes, you know where this all leads. I found the first forty-five minutes or so of the movie, which is pretty much the plot so far as I described in the previous paragraph, to be fun. The songs aren't great, but they're catchy enough, and watching the whilrwind that carries them from nobodies to up-and-comers has good energy. Unfortunately pretty much everything after that is a bore. One of the main problems is that because there are so many "main" characters, they all get pretty short shrift and none of them wind up being developed much beyond the "Diana Rossy one" or the "Barry Godryish one". For the first segment of the movie when all the characters and their fates are all tied together, it doesn't matter too much that they're only types. But when the dynamic becomes fractured and there are suddenly eight different little stories to tell instead of big one, there isn't enough there character-wise to sustain interest or create depth to the various goings on. You're just supposed to care because you're supposed to care, I guess.

Also, this is a Musical with a capital M, but not the kind I like...except for the first section of the movie. Until about the fifty-minute mark and the Payola starts, all of the songs in the movie are sung on stage. They aren't as clever and period perfect as the ditties in say That Thing You Do! or Grace of My Heart or even This Is Spinal Tap, but they're fine and they are "songs". However, after that just about all the songs are done in the Operettea style, which is to say lines of dialogue sung rather than spoken, but not in a Pop Song format with rhyming lines and choruses, just sing-songy babbling that showcase the singer's voice but are not at all memorable or catchy. This got real tiresome real fast for me. They also start doing some Musical bits, which is to say the singing isn't supposed to be going on in "reality" but is the expression of their emotions - and these too are Operettas. It simply didn't work for me. I want to hear some hits that might have played on the radio in 1966 that the Dreams can sing, not run-on sentences that don't rhyme.

Too many undefined characters, too much faux-Motown history crammed into the narrative, and music that doesn't make you tap your feet or remember even three lines to any song. It just doesn't come together, and it's not very fun. The actors are all fine, from Beyoncé and Foxx to Eddie Murphy and everyone else, they all do exactly what they're told to do. Unfortunately there are too many flaws to ever really enjoy the flick past the first forty-five minutes.

GRADE: C