Sad songs are the best songs

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
And Love crime - the finale theme for Hannibal (tv) written by Brian Reitzell and Siouxsie Sioux

SPOILERS IF YOU HAVENT SEEN THE SHOW, but just listen to the music

Electrelane - I only always think

The Sundays - Life Goes On
*Pretty rare tune and hard to find..always loved her voice

The Smiths - Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me

Chet Baker - My Funny Valentine
*I always new he was an amazing trumpet player, but never new he sang well also

The Cranberries - Put Me Down

Goldfrapp - Annabel
*song starts 3min in, one of the most beautiful videos I've seen in a while

Bjork - So Broken
*also a rare song, love her voice....very raw

MC for the Great Underground Circus
Are you asking specifically about sad lyrics or music written in minor, Dev?.
Sad songs as a whole, honey. Those that are resonate with you

Not got to listen to this thread yet (herself isn't keen on 'depressing' music so has to be done when she's not around) but it certainly looks like there are enough people that enjoy sad songs to justify a tourney on that theme Gbg (yes, I do know only some would participate)

Did you like this one GBG? I didn't like it's message - the parents are godless so must be abusive!
Maybe Gbg is too busy rustling cattle or partaking in shoot-outs to listen to the lyrics of her own songs?

(full disclosure: I've still not yet listened to it so I could be being punk'd by christine for all I know )

These are the songs that came to mind when I saw this title. I can't say that I can really relate to them from personal experience but they definitely evoke emotion whenever I hear them.

This is "Keep Me In Your Heart" by Warren Zevon. This was from his final album that he wrote and recorded after being diagnosed with mesothelioma and given only 6 months to live.

This is "Castaway Dreams" by Lindsey Buckingham. It's about having to sacrifice personal dreams in order to prioritize other things. It's probably my favorite song ever.

@nestorio. That is a sad song, but the video is really depressing

@Miss Vicky - I like the Warren Zevon song.

I was going to say that the Warren Zevon song was cheating, but no more so than this...

#action=share

Glen Campbell, in one of his last lucid acts after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

I’m never gonna hold you like I did
Or say I love you to the kids
You’re never gonna see it in my eyes
It’s not gonna hurt me when you cry
I’m not gonna miss you

Actually can't believe that one wasn't posted already.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
Glen Campbell, in one of his last lucid acts after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

I’m never gonna hold you like I did
Or say I love you to the kids
You’re never gonna see it in my eyes
It’s not gonna hurt me when you cry
I’m not gonna miss you
Damn... Alzheimer is a tragic disease. Not ony for the self but for the loved ones as well.

@d_chatterley - that's a great version of My Funny Valentine, and I like Annabel too, really wistful
Thank you @christine. I was debating whether to put this version or Nico's version of My Funny Valentine. She is not everyone's cup of tea, but I like her deep, monotone voice.
Alison Goldfrappp is very cool and an amazing vocalist as well. That whole album with Annabel on it is really slow and introspective, but my favorite is still Felt Mountain which is more on a chill side rather than sad side (if that makes any sense).

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Not got to listen to this thread yet (herself isn't keen on 'depressing' music so has to be done when she's not around) but it certainly looks like there are enough people that enjoy sad songs to justify a tourney on that theme Gbg (yes, I do know only some would participate)

I doubt I'll be able to get a song tournament thread up tonight, but I'll try to open the thread tomorrow night, and we'll see if we can get enough people to join. If enough people join, we can start it after the current tournament ends.

John Michael Montgomery - The Little Girl

Did you like this one GBG? I didn't like it's message - the parents are godless so must be abusive!

That's the point of the song. Did you listen to the lyrics all the way to the end of the song? The parents always fight in front of the little girl, until one night she witnesses her parents murder/suicide. Yes, the parents are probably abusive, but I like this song because of the final verse. After the little girl is taken in by a new family, she goes to Sunday school, and we find out that while the little girl was hiding behind the couch, she was protected by Jesus. (I'm not a religious person, but the song is very powerful.)

Lyrics of the final verse:
"Her first day of Sunday school, the teacher walked in
And a small little girl stared at a picture of Him
She said, I know that man there on that cross
I don't know His name, but I know He got off
Cause He was there in my old house
And held me close to His side
As I hid there behind our couch
The night that my parents died.
"

Maybe Gbg is too busy rustling cattle or partaking in shoot-outs to listen to the lyrics of her own songs?

(full disclosure: I've still not yet listened to it so I could be being punk'd by christine for all I know )

I always listen to the lyrics of songs. When you get a chance, listen to the song that Christine was talking about. She's right about it being about abusive parents, but there's much more to the song than that. The song is about the little girl, not the parents.

But if you keep this up, I might have to find a song about someone dying during a shoot-out while rustling cattle.