New FANTASTIC FOUR movie... whyyyyyyyy??????

Tools    

MC for the Great Underground Circus
Unfortunately, the very best Dr. Doom can be found in the original Star Wars trilogy (episodes 4 - 6) under the guise of "Darth Vader."

The next best was where he was set in an awful movie: Roger Corman's Fantastic Four.

My problem with the 21st century film version of Doom wasn't so much the actor, but what they did to the character - they took away his Latverian heritage (or barely mentioned it, making him for all intents & purposes to uninformed audiences an American). They took away the fact that he was a monarch and instead made him a smarmy businessman. They made him the "fifth" member of the Fantastic Four by changing his origin and making him part of the team that went on the historic spaceflight that gave them their powers. They gave Doom powers (his whole schtick was that he felt he rivaled Reed Richards with his brain alone and all he could create with it without having superpowers). But they gave him powers that were a combination of Colossus and Electro - thus diminishing the fact that Doom, under his armor, was a genius with no super powers.

i.e. they altered so many things essential to the character as to make him (aside from his mask) unrecognizable as the original Dr. Doom.

And, as you pointed out, we need not even mention Fant-4-stic's Doom - the whole movie is so far removed from anything FF to be recognized as anything other than some weird, counter, "ultimate" fan version of some splinter-universe, alternate reality, PC-revised, What-If, Elseworlds Fantastic Four.
And lets not forget the whole magic stuff Doom has. A guy who delves into Magic to save his mother from Hell kept by Mephisto. There's so much it could be done with the character and yet we got close to nothing. And the dude is one of the most powerful and relentless villains in the Marvel Universe.

I had some hopes of him, Silver Surfer and Galactus being brought back to the MCU. After Thanos is kicked, the only 2 guys I'd be interested in seeing as villains are Galactus and Doom.

PS: do you remember a F4 comic that takes them to their beginnings but have them kill themselves? That story was sad and dark as hell. Specially because of Ben.

And lets not forget the whole magic stuff Doom has. A guy who delves into Magic to save his mother from Hell kept by Mephisto. There's so much it could be done with the character and yet we got close to nothing. And the dude is one of the most powerful and relentless villains in the Marvel Universe.

I had some hopes of him, Silver Surfer and Galactus being brought back to the MCU. After Thanos is kicked, the only 2 guys I'd be interested in seeing as villains are Galactus and Doom.

PS: do you remember a F4 comic that takes them to their beginnings but have them kill themselves? That story was sad and dark as hell. Specially because of Ben.
Not familiar with that one, Devil. Was it a "What-If?" story? Or was it from the "Ultimate FF" version? I didn't follow the Ultimate line too much (for reasons similar to those stated previously).

Also, thanks for mentioning Doom's connection to the mystic arts (covered in Star Wars by Vader's connection to the "dark side" of the Force). George Lucas has stated that Vader was directly inspired by Dr. Doom.

The first FF comic I ever bought was in 1975 with guest villain "The Crusader" and drawn by George Perez. (Issue #164 cover by Kirby.)

MC for the Great Underground Circus
Not familiar with that one, Devil. Was it a "What-If?" story? Or was it from the "Ultimate FF" version? I didn't follow the Ultimate line too much (for reasons similar to those stated previously).

Also, thanks for mentioning Doom's connection to the mystic arts (covered in Star Wars by Vader's connection to the "dark side" of the Force). George Lucas has stated that Vader was directly inspired by Dr. Doom.

The first FF comic I ever bought was in 1975 with guest villain "The Crusader" and drawn by George Perez. (Issue #164 cover by Kirby.)

I believe it was an "what if" story yes. I can't remember precisely because it was eons ago. I haven't read a comic for more than 20 years now.

For sure, the Black Arts thing with Doom is top.