Movie Remakes: yay or nay?

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm in the crowd that says remake (or re-boot) BAD movies instead of good ones.
Yeah but what constitutes a good movie or a bad one? Who's opinion are we going on? Yours? Mine?

Plus, there are some really bad films that are so bad because the very idea of them just doesn't work, and would always be bad no matter what.

I would never go and see a remake of Freddy got Fingered or Robin Hood men in Tights.
Universally bad movies that were wasted potentials.

Freddy Got Fingered -> no.

Dredd -> yes

Like Gangster Squad and John Carter?

I see your point, it's just a bit subjective.

Not really. Hence the term universally.

Suspect's Reviews

Like Gangster Squad and John Carter?

I see your point, it's just a bit subjective.
Hey, I like John Carter, and Dredd was great action movie

Give us a few examples then.
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Van Helsing
Street Fighter
...any video game movie basically.

I don't know, those are off the top of my head.

Those kind of prove my point though. I have no desire to see any of those remade, just because they were bad. A remake of Avatar actually makes me shudder. what a waste of money it would be.

The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen remake would be decent but in today's market they'd have to do a DC/Marvel thing of making individual movies as a lead up to the Avengers/JL style movie.

Those kind of prove my point though. I have no desire to see any of those remade, just because they were bad. A remake of Avatar actually makes me shudder. what a waste of money it would be.
Except there is a rabid fan-base waiting for it to happen.

You say you have no interest in them...okay. People don't have interest in a lot of movies. My whole point is if you're going to remake a movie, why remake a good one that people love? Remake a bad one that people don't like...and make it good. It's easier with material that has a fan-base because you know people want to see it.

They did with with Dredd. The Stallone version is a bad movie, they remade it, made it better and people love it. CosmicRunaway has it as her #1 Sci/Fi film. There are plenty of films to do this to, then maybe people will stop bitching about remakes? It's possible.

You have no desire to see them remade? I have more desire to see them remade than say, The Godfather.

Except there is a rabid fan-base waiting for it to happen.

You say you have no interest in them...okay. People don't have interest in a lot of movies. My whole point is if you're going to remake a movie, why remake a good one that people love? Remake a bad one that people don't like...and make it good. It's easier with material that has a fan-base because you know people want to see it.

You have no desire to see them remade? I have more desire to see them remade than say, The Godfather.

A Godfather remake wouldn't be a remake either though seeing as it is all based on a 1969 novel

Right! That's it!

From now on I'm classing The Dark Knight Trilogy as a remake of the Burton/Schumacher Series!
And from now on Jackson's LOTR is a remake of Bakshi's cartoon as well.

Right! That's it!

From now on I'm classing The Dark Knight Trilogy as a remake of the Burton/Schumacher Series!
And from now on Jackson's LOTR is a remake of Bakshi's cartoon as well.

Except I agreed with you on the comic aspect of it. They are not telling the same story, just using the same characters.

Seriously though, if Godfather was made again, I wouldn't call it a remake.
I'd hate the idea of it even though it's not a favourite of mine, based on a book or not The Godfather is a classic, perfectly made movie and should be left as is.

Seriously though, if Godfather was made again, I wouldn't call it a remake.
I'd hate the idea of it even though it's not a favourite of mine, based on a book or not The Godfather is a classic, perfectly made movie and should be left as is.
Yeah, cause it's a good movie.

BAM.

Now if it were terrible.......

One thing that should be redone... is that god-awful The Thing prequel from 2011.
Now that, was a remake. They just took the beats, scenes and dialogue from Carpenter's movie and smothered it all in CGI.

Uhm...it REALLY depends. Some things have been remade 2 or 3 times at least(Invasion of the Body Snatchers, looking at YOU ) when they should have stopped at the first remake, while others actually need one. I'm against remaking films simply because they're a bit older. I'm for remaking them when they would have been good except for production values/acting/etc. I'm also for remaking certain foreign films for the people with reading disabilities, as often reading a film would put them off seeing it, and they miss out on some wonderful stories being told.

Nay. I mean yay. No, nay. Wait, that's a double negative.

Depends on the movie, style of the remake, and of course the director.

There are movies like "Jaws" and "Back to the Future" that don't need to be remade because they stand the test of time. (Without nostalgia getting in the way)

A controversial opinion of mine: Star Wars (the first movie) could use a shot by shot remake or at least include the deleted scenes which developed more the life around Tatootine. (sp?)