Tips for Writing a Review

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I thought that was what he wasn't doing at first too. It's not just to get things clear.

It's their suggestions that they wrote in this thread, which has later been added to the first post. I agree it could be more precise, like "Captain Spaulding's suggestions:" or something, so more people won't get confused.
Ahhh, makes more sense now.

Suspect's Reviews

Do you know why I dont write reviews for my films? dont get me wrong.. I am a writer... I write short stories and poetry but I dont write about movies because I dont want to spoil it for anyone who hasnt seen it yet.

Master of My Domain
Do you know why I dont write reviews for my films? dont get me wrong.. I am a writer... I write short stories and poetry but I dont write about movies because I dont want to spoil it for anyone who hasnt seen it yet.
Its not hard to avoid spoilers. Just honestly and carefully write what you thought about the plot, characters, technical aspects etc. and that's a decent review born. You said you are a writer of short stories and poems, I think that would make your reviews special and have a spark to it. Imagine a review that rhymes.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I was considering possible female reviewers...
Females can take their pants off too.

I don't write reviews so I'll just say what I like and don't like in a review. I do not like a lengthy plot synopsis. Especially because I generally only read them after I've seen the movie so I know what happened. I want personal opinions and personality. A dry boring review that never commits to any real viewpoint probably will only get skimmed, if that.

Write in your own vernacular. I like to read reviews that seem like the person is talking to me rather than those that read like someone's homework.

Most of all write honestly instead of writing to impress. It really does come across and it's much more interesting to read something that feels authentic.

Master of My Domain
Cmon Godo you know what I meant by that...

Added your tips to the main thread!

Talking about writing in your own vernacular, the reviews I always enjoy reading even though they're through different cultural eyes to mine, and I'm probably never going to see even a small percentage of the films reviewed - and that's Ashdoc's reviews. He writes as if he's sitting next to you all enthusiastic after coming out of the cinema. Very endearing

Can you edit my second one?

Avoid Spoilers... and if you have to use them, be sure to warn the reader beforehand or use spoiler tags.

Master of My Domain
Can you edit my second one?

Avoid Spoilers... and if you have to use them, be sure to warn the reader beforehand or use spoiler tags.
Edit successful. Now quit bugging me!

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I keep em short, use photos, and try to avoid revealing too much plot, no spoilers for sure. More of a tease with a point or two that I thought was a cool essence about the movie.

Talking about writing in your own vernacular, the reviews I always enjoy reading even though they're through different cultural eyes to mine, and I'm probably never going to see even a small percentage of the films reviewed - and that's Ashdoc's reviews. He writes as if he's sitting next to you all enthusiastic after coming out of the cinema. Very endearing
I don't want to start a mutual admiration society here , but your thoughts will go a long way in encouraging me to write in the same vein in which I do

Not currently on fire...
I've written some 500+ film reviews over the last 9 years and I've always followed a few rules:

1) Respect the film, not matter what genre or budget. I've seen plenty of reviews on mainstream websites and media that want to dismiss a film completely because it is a low budget production or a horror film for instance. The reviewer obviously set out with no intention of actually giving the film a fair run, or they just skip over and give it a brief comment as though it doesn't really matter. I treat every film the same, from Kubrick to SyFy Channel Originals.

2) Know a film's cinematic parentage. I watch a lot of Spaghetti Westerns and before I watched the iconic Leone films, I saw a few of the later genre entries that had some great scenes I thought were really clever, later watching 'Fistful of Dollars' and 'Few Dollars More' I realised that these were nothing more than copies of aspects from the Leone film. I have seen plenty of other critics' reviews of films that praise aspects as innovative that have been done plenty of times before but obviously in films they haven't seen. You shouldn't try and review a film in isolation, when I start reviewing films in a particular genre or category I will usually watch a large bundle of them together to pick up the style and theme properly before I can discuss it.

3) Know the historical background/source material. When it comes to historical films or productions adapted from books/TV shows etc. I am actually quite liberal. If a film wants to depart massively from the real history or from a book, it can do, so long as it makes for a good film (which, by the way, I have yet to see actually work). Still to write a good review it is useful to know just how close or distant a film is as it is important to a lot of viewers. If you get a chance to read the book first then this is perfect, but most novels are well summarised on the internet and even a quick scan can give you a lot of information that allows you to discuss this.

4) Know the background to the film itself. This is not always relevant, but there are a lot of films out there that had major changes during production - a change in director, least cast member leaving the shoot, re-editing by the studio in post-production that can make a massive outcome to what is seen on screen. Obviously the purpose of a review is to discuss the film as seen and no end of information about background strife can make a terrible film enjoyable to watch, but it can help you understand some things that seem very odd and again makes for some interesting discussion points in the review.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
1. Brevity....don't write a novella length review.
Hmmm....is that aimed at me?

Anyway as the reigning Best Reviewer on here (it's official! ) you'd think I may have a number of tips to offer but I'm really not sure I do. Perhaps the people who are fans of my work can convey what's so good about them (not that I'm just looking to have my ego stroked or anything )

Hmmm....is that aimed at me?
Ha!......... ( but seriously, no it wasn't.) I believe I actually nominated you as best reviewer, (sadly no one nominated me, I guess I need more chickie pics.)

There really is a LOT of great reviewers here. Nobody, on this site is really long winded. But some reviews on the internet are like reading a college thesis!