Gatsby's Top 51 Films

→ in
Tools    

Master of My Domain
Does anybody like the sequel, 2010?I did, but it's been years since I seen it.
I usually don't watch sequels unless it continues the story or I think can match the quality of the first film.

That's why I haven't seen it, but since a man who appreciates my film taste like it maybe I'll give it a try.

Master of My Domain
31. L.A Confidential

A proper film noir that is a joyful set present of crime, corruption, and thrilling complexity.

30. Cinema Paradiso

Such a powerful drama driven by the love of cinema from the director that you can feel throughout the movie, topped with a bittersweet ending. One of my favorite scenes is where the local priests pressure the theater to cut out romantic parts in movies. Its a great satire about the blocking of true art because its not accepted in general society.

29. Battle Royale

Found out about this movie due to the Hunger Games movie and instantly fell in love with it. It has the ultra-violence of Kill Bill and the madness of Lord of the Flies. Awesome.

rep for Battle Royale. I'm glad you don't like watching sequels as the hash that Kenta Fukasaki made of the sequel to his dads film is something to behold (or not! ) - to be avoided at all costs

Lord High Filmquisitor
L.A. Confidential and Battle Royale are both amazing films. He former in particular has one of my favorite lines of any movie: "Don't try to do the right thing, Boyo. You haven't got the practice."

Master of My Domain
Love LA Confidential and I liked Battle Royale.

I want to see Cinema Paradiso.
If you're gonna see it, whatever you do don't see the director's cut. All it does is make you watch a bunch of meaningless scenes.

Master of My Domain
28. Plan 9 From Outer Space

"Quick! Fire the electro gun!"
"I can't... its jammed!"

27. Amadeus

Before this movie I would always imagine Mozart as a secretive genius that worked alone all day long on his music. While this aspect of him is also in the movie I was surprised to see him portrayed, while a bit weirdly, as human. Another thing I liked about this film that they had Salieri as the actual main character of film to make it dramatic and interesting. Great acting by the two.

26. King of Comedy

At first it was a bit irritating to watch, but soon I realized it was a masterpiece. The casting choices hit the mark and Scorsese's brilliant ability to turn simple stories into something extraordinary helped as well.

Diner is a favorite of mine as well. Mad Max left me surprisingly underwhelmed when I finally got around to seeing it. I haven't seen Blazing Saddles, but the rest are all varying levels of good.
How can any self-respecting film buff have NOT seen Blazing Saddles?

48. Mad Max

A classic speedy, hardcore brutal action movie that manages to be so without going messily over-the-top like many imitators do.

47. American Graffiti

The type of movie that seems to have a very predictable story, but end up finding it to be extraordinary.

46. Life Of Pi

Made me think a lot about the relativity or truth, as well as candy my eyes with its effects.
Great to see some love for American Graffiti...love that movie.

45. Memento

Even though I'm an anti-Nolan crew member this is a film that I feel the need to praise him. The only downside is that it's not fun anymore once you figure it out.

44. Jaws

The movie that gave birth to the word 'blockbuster' (because people would literally bust the block trying to see the film) surely increase the size of the cinema boat.

43. Black Swan

An Aronfonsky thriller that is way more mainstream than his films before this one, but nevertheless a masterpiece.

42. The Apartment

A great comedy classic that explores all around the genre, starting from satire and ending with elements of romantic comedy, and there's a bit of drama criticism on society in between. These combined together may not seem convincing, but you'll end up regretting that thought.
Love The Apartment and despite a wonderful performance from Natalie Portman, I had issues with The Black Swan that i couldn't get past.

Master of My Domain
Lol Gideon you're joining the show extremely late...

34. Three Idiots

A great satire on education that only teaches students to memorize facts, then it just escalates (in a good way lol) from there. Even with that theme it would have been a good movie, but it doesn't stop there. It tosses things to think about ranging from life to death, and the best part is that like a lot of films I like uses a comedy not to distract the viewers from these, but actually help emphasize them.

33. Die Hard

Why don't they make action movies like this anymore?

32. 2001: A Space Odyssey

How this film was made in the year 1968 still utterly shocks me. The effects, editing, direction, cinematography... even today it doesn't look unnatural at all. I believe that in order for technology such as CGI to be used there must be a story that can handle it (unfortunately that's not the case these days where looking good on screen is ahead of the story and acting). It does have a bit of flaws though, but other than that its perfect.
As I've mentioned on other threads, I know I'm in a tiny minority on this, but 2001: A Space Odyssey bored the crap out of me.

31. L.A Confidential

A proper film noir that is a joyful set present of crime, corruption, and thrilling complexity.

30. Cinema Paradiso

Such a powerful drama driven by the love of cinema from the director that you can feel throughout the movie, topped with a bittersweet ending. One of my favorite scenes is where the local priests pressure the theater to cut out romantic parts in movies. Its a great satire about the blocking of true art because its not accepted in general society.

29. Battle Royale

Found out about this movie due to the Hunger Games movie and instantly fell in love with it. It has the ultra-violence of Kill Bill and the madness of Lord of the Flies. Awesome.
LA Confidential is a pretty much flawless film that was robbed of the Oscar for Best Picture of 1997.

I didn't like Amadeus, but that's not something I'd like no matter how well done it was.

Thumbs up for The King of Comedy

Haven't seen Plan 9.

My interest in Three Idiots is pretty low, but Cinema Paradiso and Amadeus are two movies that have been on my watch list for quite some time. Ever since falling in love with Burton's Ed Wood, I've wanted to watch Plan 9 From Outer Space.

2001: A Space Odyssey is a top-ten favorite of mine. Die Hard, L.A. Confidential, and The King of Comedy are great movies.

I enjoy gleeful violence and I love the premise of Battle Royale, but the film itself was a disappointment. There's a cartoonish quality to a lot of Japanese films I've seen that puts me off.