Hard Drive backup/storage

Tools    

I bought a 1 TB NAS server for a home media type setup. I realized though, that my wifes Mac is nearly out of room due to her photography business. I want to use this new wireless access drive as a main hard drive, but her business can't afford a drive failure and losing all of her photos. Now, would it be considered sufficient or safe to use the NAS drive for storage, with a compressed version of the photo folder on another external drive (back it up, say, every week or so), plus a web based storage subscription?

Really, I just want a safe way of using this NAS server as a legitimate, every day use type of hard drive. It is a reputable brand drive, but it is by no means a super reliable, business scale server or anything like that.

I hope this makes sense

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
My 2 cents is to keep it as simple and modular as possible. I use external USB/Firewire drives for storage (WD is a good brand), and you can automate your mac to back up to them regularly. Good quality portable drives are very inexpensive. That way, if you have a failure on your main machine, you just unplug the drive, and plug it into another machine and transfer all your data back onto the new one.