Fiscal's Short Films

Tools    

Alright MoFos,

I have finally begun itching the huge scratch that is my interest in film making. This is the beginning. I have zero experience. I want to post my videos in this thread for feedback, criticism, interest, whatever. Hopefully I can also witness first hand my improvements in capturing film as I progress since I can catalog everything in here.

Please, do not hesitate to give me feedback. I am sure now, in the beginning, this will mostly be me experimenting with capturing and editing techniques but I would still love to hear any advice or criticism you guys may have.

I completed my first short not too long ago today. Here it is:

To Slow it Down

Please note, it was filmed in HD and meant to be viewed full screen if possible.

Very good use of the light you had available. Oh my gosh that song was awful. It was distracting the viewer from the film to say the least. Cute kids, and you definitely could have shown off the nature more as you had the film quality to do so. In the backyard scene who was that in the background? Were they filming you filming? Nice job Fiscal

Thanks man. I figured I would hear something about the song, I like the band way too much, I was actually trying to convince myself not to use it, but in the end I thought it fit just fine.

Oh, that is my wife in the background taking still shots.

Thanks for the feedback bro, I appreciate it

That was seriously good. Music taste is always up for grabs, but I responded positively to the song. The interesting, offbeat texture of the piano in the beginning was perfect in setting the ethereal mood of the entire film. You also coordinated the images of your son well with the singing (close ups on his face corresponding to the intimacy the guy's voice). The moment of silence in the song too, I felt, came in at a perfect time where you began to walk away and he followed. Draws focus to that image.

Reversing the footage at the beginning seemed random, but I really think you justified it -- maybe even made it necessary -- with the reverse montage at the end recalling the various moments of the film. There was definitely enough at the end to move any stranger. A really nice capsule of what nostalgia and fond memory feels like.

I was probably most impressed with your fantastic use of depth of field and how expressively you allowed this simple effect to present your son. Initially you have this wonderful composition of your son in your yard where he is literally the only thing in focus. You then move down to the dandelion seed, keeping it out of focus just long enough for pretentious f*cks like me to think it deeeeep. That being said, the pacing of that whole thing was spot on with the music. Following that sequence with several seconds of your son out of focus, then focusing, and bringing your son out of focus by moving into his face... no comment, since what you did was present him solely through the language of cinema. 'Nuff said, really.

Really raising the bar on home movies, man.

Cool music, cool video. I really liked the backwards section. Bon Iver is the most recognizable singer next to Bjork, so that works in a way, but I think it fits pretty well regardless. You had a better outcome than I did for my film final and I planned like hell for it, so congratulations, this was really nice. However, I'm not sure what you were trying to do with the "montage" at the end, though the last shot pulled it together.

I can't be too specific because I am typing from my cell phone, but thank you both pn and winters. I'm glad you both could see the music sync the way I did. Also, pn, thanks for noticing my focusing because that was probably what I was concentrating on most with this one.

I wouldn't listen to the song standalone (though I like Bon Iver in general), but it was perfect for the footage. I really like the way every adult's face is just out of frame; it sort of makes you feel like you're seeing the world through the kid's eyes.

Really enjoyed this. Anyone else think it felt like a trailer for a Malick?

Not a short film, but here are some shots I put together of my pup playing around in the back yard.

I should be recording Perfect Weather from Seattle some time in June, I'm really excited to work with these guys!

Really enjoyed this. Anyone else think it felt like a trailer for a Malick?
That's the EXACT impression I got from it, which can only be taken as a compliment really. I thought it was great, especially for a first timer. Like Planet said, your use of depth of field was simple yet VERY effective as it highlighted your son, who's obviously at the heart of it all. I've seen so many shorts where people go out using random techniques for the same of appearing technically efficient and in some weak way for the work to appear energetic so i'm glad you didn't go down this route. Nice simple use of the dissolves too.

Less is more when starting out and it seems you've already grasped that. The music is fitting, but it's not my cup of tea personally. It's a confident and surprisingly mature piece, man. Very very impressed. Interested to see what else you can do.

Thanks for the compliments, it's extremely encouraging. I really hope to start moving away from home movie type stuff and start filming stories. I appreciate all the feedback.

Originally Posted by The Prestige
Nice simple use of the dissolves too
This may be because I am not too confident with editing right now, I have been practicing, but whenever I do use transition I try and make it very simple. I don't think I have any business trying to wow anyone with editing skills right now. I'm glad you thought that it fit and wasn't overwhelming or anything.

This may be because I am not too confident with editing right now, I have been practicing, but whenever I do use transition I try and make it very simple. I don't think I have any business trying to wow anyone with editing skills right now. I'm glad you thought that it fit and wasn't overwhelming or anything.
Definitely man. Less is more at this point. Crawl, walk and then run, youngin'

Not a short film, but here are some shots I put together of my pup playing around in the back yard.

Hmmm... that song was actually okay!

You like to use slow motion. Is it possible to raise the frame rate when you're shooting, so it slows down smoother?

I should be recording Perfect Weather from Seattle some time in June, I'm really excited to work with these guys!
If you're planning to do takeaway show stuff, I'm guessing you ended up getting a steadicam thing.

Hmmm... that song was actually okay!

You like to use slow motion. Is it possible to raise the frame rate when you're shooting, so it slows down smoother?

If you're planning to do takeaway show stuff, I'm guessing you ended up getting a steadicam thing.
I missed this some how.

Unfortunately, I can't raise the frame rate any further, that is one of the limitations of the camera I have. It's funny because one of the cheaper Canon DSLR's actually supports changing the frame rate but mine can't (I think because it has a full sensor?).

Anyway, I just like slowing stuff down for a)setting a mood or b)you can't notice certain details in normal speed.

Re: the song

Kid Cudi makes some good jams.

Alright, I have another home movie type thing I put together. Now, I don't have any friends that are even remotely interested in filming or even simply watching movies for that matter. So, I am stuck having to try and get creative with these family videos. I'm going to try really hard not to over-do them and not only post family stuff in here, but I just can't find anyone to collaborate with right now.

Anyway, here is a video I put together recently - we were climbing and hiking around North Bend, Washington.

This one was difficult to put together, I didn't get many shots to begin with. I was trying my best to put together a string of shots with my wife and son walking down a trail towards the middle of the video. I feel like that part turned out okay given the lack of planning, it was all pretty spur of the moment. Anyway, I would love some more feedback!

>yfw North Bend was where they filmed Twin Peaks

Good as always, dude. What else can I say about your technique? It looks pro. Great compositions, steady camera, playing with focus.