Source Code (2011)

Tools    

Source Code Duncan Jones

Source Code, the new film from Jones starring Jake Gyllenhaal as a US soldier who wakes up in the body of an unknown commuter and is forced to live and relive a train bombing until he can find the perpetrator. The film is set for a April 15 release and co-stars Michelle Monaghan, Vera Farmiga and Jeffrey Wright.

&feature=player_embedded

-----

The trailer is so-so (makes it seem big Hollywood-ish), but I will definitely be seeing this given how much I loved Moon. Not to mention that I enjoy most of the cast. I think Clint Mansell is doing the score, too!

Jones does seem promising. I will be catching this when it comes out.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Not sure if this is the right place to post my thoughts on the film or not

Just saw Source Code earlier on. Found it to be a very entertaining film

While it has many elements you'll recognise from other sources (Deja Vu, Groundhog Day, Quantum Leap etc) they combine to create something quite original and interesting, certainly cementing Duncan Jones as someone to watch out for.

The film is not as straightforward or formulaic as I thought it might be, throwing in a fair few twists and turns, including one that completely caught me unawares. It also goes into a slightly darker tone at times than I was expecting, with some bittersweet moments throughout.

It actually reminded me a touch of a Hitchcock film with a claustraphobic setting, a sense of mystery throughout where you're not actually sure what's going on and little moments of humour to break up the action/tension.

Performances are quite strong throughout. Gyllenhaal is very good, capturing the fear and confusion of his situation while also being appealing and endearing. Michelle Monaghan may not have much to do but is sweet and adorable enough to make it believable that you could fall for her in such a short space of time. While Vera Farmiga is also excellent, turning what could have been a simple character into a very intiguing one with a lot of depth

As always with this kind of film it will be interesting to see how it holds up to repeat viewings now that you know the outcome. Will the characters, story, acting and directing be enough to carry the film when it lacks the mystery?

For now I'll give the film a solid 8.5/10

Source Code, the new film from Jones starring Jake Gyllenhaal as a US soldier who wakes up in the body of an unknown commuter
Boy, I wish Jake Gyllenhaal would wake up in my body!

I haven't seen this, but I'm sure I will eventually.

Well I really enjoyed Moon, so I'll end up seeing this eventually. Duncan Jones is definitely doing some interesting work so far.

Moon sucked, but Source Code redeems Duncan Jones (although, I'd give more praise to Ben Ripley's script and Jake Gyllenhaal's performance.)

My "Source Code" review is here. Clicky, clicky.

I was very underwhelmed by this one. After Moon, had high hopes for Jones' next outing and sadly this has only small echoes of the brilliance of his debut. While it wasn't bad, the plots where rather under developed- the bomb storyline lacked any excitement, Gylenhall's 'twist' was fairly predictable, the romance extremely contrived and the Government angle underplayed. There was a poignant moment it should have ended on yet trailed off long after it should. Like most sci-fi films with high concept there are silly moments and potential holes that try to get covered up under convoluted plotting.

It was basically a sci-fi Groundhog Day. Enjoyable but nowhere near essential viewing, sadly.

I disagree. While I agree the ending was not right and that it should have ended at that one poignant moment, I feel the movie was, overall, deep and exciting. Moon lost me. Moon bored me -- and it's not because of the actor, because the actor was hot and I remember him getting naked. I think Source Code is much, much better.

I'd take Sam Rockwell over Jake any day mate.

I just didn't think it was deep, everything that happened seemed simplistic and dull. While his situation was enigmatic to begin with, the film fell apart as soon as they revealed too much. I didn't buy his infatuation for the woman which a lot of the plot hinged on, there were too many questionable errs in logic and sense to consistently suspend my disbelief. It could have been better but can't remember deep moments in it.

I just love the fact that
WARNING: "Source Code" spoilers below
he's half dead and his brain has been hooked up to a computer and he's basically living as a computer program. It's very Max Headroom. I was drawn in to his situation, to the agony of existing like that. His only other option was to die and yet he could still exist, still have a body as a computer program. I thought the romantic part was necessary to give us a story about a guy who just wanted to be a hero, to save a woman, to have something for himself. That's why I think it would have been wonderful if the film had just ended with him kissing that woman and then dying. It's like he used the computer simulation as life itself -- what if life is all just a simulation? He was accepting his fate and dying in a fake life that he was managing himself. He truly did feel something for that woman, as odd as it might be. Hey, put me in a computer simulation with Jake Gyllenhaal -- I'd fall in love with it, too. Hell, I'd take him as that half body thing he actually was -- never thought I'd want a man who had half of a body, but I'd take that slab of Jake Gyllenhaal lying in that little container.

Yeah, it regresses to Platonism in the end in the same way that Groundhog Day did. The great truth of Sisyphus is that once he gets the girl, everything gets reset and he starts back at the beginning (or even worse, in this case). The triumph is in the success of the mission; not the life he leads afterwards (life after death).

Really can't say just looking at the trailer. It seems that Jake Gyllenhaal was quite fascinated with the idea and concept of the Source Code.

However, the computer program allows someone to enter the last eight minute life of another seems good. Does it indicate that he is immortal in the story?

This movie was just okay.. concept was good, the deeper meaning was even better but the ending could have been better!

One of the better movies to come out this year, IMO. But if any sci-fi thriller is getting a best picture nomination, it's Super 8.