Lady Gaga

Tools    

Call me old fashioned, but I still use the radio. This artist Lady Gaga is ALWAYS on, and it's really damn catchy.

Thoughts?

I like her songs- some good remixes of Bad Romance, not such a fan of her penis. Think she's bigger UK-side after listening to her Brit Award acceptance speech

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I think she is awesome very good live and a very unique artist, she reminds me of Marilyn Manson in the pop culture world.

Some of it's catchy, but the outfits are so transparently marketing ploys, and, to put it nicely, they're hideous. Obviously it works, though I think she does a bit more than is necessary to get noticed, and even if it's successful, I don't much like the fact that such attention-getting ploys actually work at times.

So, on net:

In the Beginning...
Some of it's catchy, but the outfits are so transparently marketing ploys, and, to put it nicely, they're hideous. Obviously it works, though I think she does a bit more than is necessary to get noticed, and even if it's successful, I don't much like the fact that such attention-getting ploys actually work at times.
If we were talking about Britney Spears eight years ago, I'd agree with you. But I don't think Lady Gaga has been crafted as part of a studio's marketing scheme to sell records. Apparently, she had been doing the same thing - wearing outlandish outfits and putting on bizarre shock performances - for years on the New York City underground music scene before getting discovery. So if anything, her antics have become something of a lucky find by Streamline and Interscope.

Not that she still isn't trying to get attention. (Although, if you watch interviews with her, you get the sense that she really is this eccentric.)

And the penis thing... I'm convinced that was her way of toying with the press, who salivate over juicy stories like that. She's actually pretty smart, and she seems to enjoy mocking the media. Which is pretty cool if you think about it; most famous persons don't handle the media very well.

Oh, I don't think it's a studio's scheme, I think it's hers. The fact that she did it before is kind of the point; she had to, if she ever hoped to get out of the underground scene. Dunno exactly how long she's been doing it, but I saw a YouTube video of her before she'd started doing that sort of thing. She was just some woman with a keyboard, basically; t-shirt and jeans, if memory serves.

Anyway, I'd like it more if I thought she was really having fun with the media. Call me cynical, but I think it's all part of the same attention-seeking strategy. I have to imagine it's going to get old really, really soon, too.

I See You When You're Sleeping

So, on net:
Totally agree. For me it's just ringtones with a face.

In the Beginning...
I saw a YouTube video of her before she'd started doing that sort of thing. She was just some woman with a keyboard, basically; t-shirt and jeans, if memory serves.
In one of her interviews, she talked about how one of her performances while still performing in New York involved wearing a full Indian headdress and a bikini.

Frankly, I think another big reason for her eccentricity has to do with what happens to people when they suddenly come into a lot of money. She designs and makes all her own outfits, so that would certainly fit the bill.

Don't know if she'll get old or not, but I give her credit for having more identity than most new artists we're spoonfed (forcefully).

Why's that old fashioned? If someone's in the car, don't they usually turn the radio on? I most certainly do.
Well, most people seem to use 8 tracks, tapes, CDs (okay now I just sound old), or find a way to plug in their ipods. I have all of my music stuff set up at home, but still use the radio. I've decided radio quality, like many other things is going down the drain

I've barely heard anything she's done, nor do I have any desire to (that applies to just about everyone these days, not just her) the one thing I do want to know is... Are 'we' supposed to find her attractive or not?

A system of cells interlinked
As much as I hate to admit it - I love me some Lady Gaga.

I hate that fact.

I like her songs Paparazzi and Pokerface, but other than that, I think she's ugly and annoying and not original at all.

I'm still confused about whether she's actually got this ridiculous personality or if she's doing all her appearances tongue-in-cheek. She does have some catchy songs, I must admit...

Losing serious man points for that though

-Hattori Hanzo

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Not my cup of tea musically, but I've seen vids of her accompanying herself on piano, and she's way talented no doubt. All the peripheral stuff is her just having fun, so all the more power to her. My tastes run different--I'd much rather go see Old Crow Medicine Show, Doc Watson, Drive-by Truckers or Junior Brown. I can see why she's so popular though.