Lgbtq fims

Tools    

I've also been completely hooked on Brideshead revisited with Jeremy Irons. Not so much overt lgbtq-ness but it's quite difficult not to pick up on it in the subtext. It's also absolutely brimming with melancholy (my Achilles' heel) and really, who doesn't find the leisurely lifestyle of the English aristocracy captivating? I hear the sexuality of the main characters is handled much more straightforwardly in the film version? The reviews have been quite unfavorable towards it so I'm not sure if I'm going to pick it up.

Anyway, I love Irons as the young(ish) dandy...
I'm a fan too Adi, and never felt the need to see the remade version cos the tv one was sublime. Dripping with languorous atmosphere, chock full of the best British actors of the period, beautifully written, beautifully staged and alive with sexual tension - what more could anyone possibly want?

If you're referring to the thread about "unconventional relationships", it's hardly the same thing. This thread was primarily designed for people who know what the acronym stands for, but I have added an explanation to anyone who has never been in contact with it. The fact that you quoted the opening post where the acronym is explained makes me think you weren't confused in the least bit with regards to its meaning, just like anyone else who opens the thread and reads the opening post. Which means you were trying to be an ******* for the sake of it.
Well, I've never before heard the phrase, so I had to go back and look it up. But I'm still puzzled. How does one know one is watching a Lgbtq film and not simply a well made movie about interesting people? Is it necessary for all of the cast and crew to be Lgbtq in order for the film to qualify? Or does it play only to Lgbtq audiences? Maybe they have their own theater circuit.

What are your favorite lgbtq (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer) films?

Here are some I think are definitely worth your attention:

(EDITED FOR LENGTH)

SHELTER!! Who's seen that?!?! And my favorite Show is "The Lair"

Was it really necessary to quote all of that....*sigh*

Well, I've never before heard the phrase, so I had to go back and look it up. But I'm still puzzled. How does one know one is watching a Lgbtq film and not simply a well made movie about interesting people? Is it necessary for all of the cast and crew to be Lgbtq in order for the film to qualify? Or does it play only to Lgbtq audiences? Maybe they have their own theater circuit.
Well for me, it's a film whose principal character(s) are lgbtq people. Believe it or not, it can be quite important to see a representation of your life on the big screen, something I think straight people take for granted. This is why I've created the thread and why I said it's primarily meant to serve any lgbtq members of this forum.

And yes, there are a lot of them that play primarily to Lgbtq audience, like Trick or:

which I've only managed to endure for about half an hour, but apparently 99% of gay people think it's the best film ever. I think it has something to do with the straight looking skater dude as the lead role...I'm pretty sure there's no straight person that thinks that's a good film...if they even saw it...:\

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
My definition of LGBT film is any where gender-preference issues are pertinent. Bridget Jones' Diary wouldn't meet my definition, because while one of her best friends is gay, that really doesn't figure in the outcome of the story. Hedwig and the Angry Inch, by contrast, is about someone who left home because he was gay (among other reasons), so his homosexualty figured in the plot.

I don't think that a film being LGBT-themed precludes it from also being any other genre. Films are rarely only one thing, right?

Wheee, she's back...

I agree with you (And that's probably a better definition than mine )
Hya sweets!
I think it's a genre with a couple of working definitions. You make a valid point that just seeing a gay relationship depicted in a film can be of value to a person who is gay, or who feels isolated from examples of gay life. I've spent most of my adult life up to my t*ts in homosexuals, so I employ a more stringent definition.

Was it really necessary to quote all of that....*sigh*

Well for me, it's a film whose principal character(s) are lgbtq people. Believe it or not, it can be quite important to see a representation of your life on the big screen, something I think straight people take for granted. This is why I've created the thread and why I said it's primarily meant to serve any lgbtq members of this forum.

And yes, there are a lot of them that play primarily to Lgbtq audience, like Trick or:

which I've only managed to endure for about half an hour, but apparently 99% of gay people think it's the best film ever. I think it has something to do with the straight looking skater dude as the lead role...I'm pretty sure there's no straight person that thinks that's a good film...if they even saw it...:\
Sorry, I didn't see that part about this being "primarily meant to serve any lgbtq members of this forum." Didn't mean to intrude. To participate in this discussion do I need to get a note from my cousin and her significant other or from the young feller I work with?

Again, I haven't heard or seen either of the two films mentioned in your response. But now I'm curious as to why you assume no heterosexual would like that particular movie--do they talk bad about us in it? Oscar Wilde gave heterosexual couples hell in his plays, but they are still so damn funny!

Sorry, I didn't see that part about this being "primarily meant to serve any lgbtq members of this forum." Didn't mean to intrude. To participate in this discussion do I need to get a note from my cousin and her significant other or from the young feller I work with?
I'll accept either.

But yeah, just because I thought this thread might have more actual benefit to my lgbtq brethren doesn't in any way preclude others from contributing to it.
Again, I haven't heard or seen either of the two films mentioned in your response. But now I'm curious as to why you assume no heterosexual would like that particular movie--do they talk bad about us in it? Oscar Wilde gave heterosexual couples hell in his plays, but they are still so damn funny!
I think it has something to do with straight people's lack of fascination with "straight looking" surfer dudes, very much a gay idiosyncrasy and a peculiar phenomenon that makes us forget about the actual plot, acting abilities and other silly distractions....

I don't think that a film being LGBT-themed precludes it from also being any other genre. Films are rarely only one thing, right?
You're 100% right Delilah. And real people aren't just one thing either--we all have many aspects to our lives.

I guess I haven't seen very many films that were focused on homosexuals. Some of my favorite "decades old" films tiptoed around it, like The Children's Hour and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. What most impresses me, however, is that sometimes you see a character in a movie nowdays who just happens to be homosexual. Like a couple of the guys in The Full Monty. Their sexual preferences don't really affect the plot in any way and isn't "necessary." But it's like a character might be old or might be fat or might be gay and still be part of a group, a community, because in real life people are sometimes old, sometimes fat, sometimes gay, sometimes all three at once. It may not exactly "celebrate" homosexuality, but it does--in a very important way, I think--acknowledge that they are people who are in every other way just like "us".

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Hya sweets!
I think it's a genre with a couple of working definitions. You make a valid point that just seeing a gay relationship depicted in a film can be of value to a person who is gay, or who feels isolated from examples of gay life. I've spent most of my adult life up to my t*ts in homosexuals, so I employ a more stringent definition.
Either you're really tall, or you know a lot of short homosexuals.

What a truly ignorant comment.

Either you're really tall, or you know a lot of short homosexuals.

What a truly ignorant comment.
Maybe she standing on something.

I said earlier I couldn't recall offhand a film that was about gays in the sense that homosexuality was a central point to the film. Yet there have been two really good ones in recent years, both starring Kevin Kline. One was about Cole Porter (I think Words and Music was the title) that actually admitted that the guy was gay as well as being one of the best songwriters ever. It even showed guys kissing, unlike that terrible Night and Day epic starring Cary Grant as Porter--the only reality about that film was Porter's words and music.

The other film was the very funny In and Out, which has one of the best kissing scenes ever filmed, even if it were two guys. And the scene with Kline taking "manly man lessons" from a learn-at-home tape was side-splitting. Made homosexuality seem like fun! I think most heterosexuals would enjoy those films.

Maybe I don't fully understand how important it is to gays to see their own lifestyle depicted in film. But I would hope gays would recognize from the film In and Out that not all heterosexuals are the enemy. In fact, I would bet most of us are on your side because we have have sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, cousins, friends, and in many cases parents among you. We're all connected, whether some want to be or not.

I said earlier I couldn't recall offhand a film that was about gays in the sense that homosexuality was a central point to the film. Yet there have been two really good ones in recent years, both starring Kevin Kline. One was about Cole Porter (I think Words and Music was the title) that actually admitted that the guy was gay as well as being one of the best songwriters ever. It even showed guys kissing, unlike that terrible Night and Day epic starring Cary Grant as Porter--the only reality about that film was Porter's words and music.

The other film was the very funny In and Out, which has one of the best kissing scenes ever filmed, even if it were two guys. And the scene with Kline taking "manly man lessons" from a learn-at-home tape was side-splitting. Made homosexuality seem like fun! I think most heterosexuals would enjoy those films.

Maybe I don't fully understand how important it is to gays to see their own lifestyle depicted in film. But I would hope gays would recognize from the film In and Out that not all heterosexuals are the enemy. In fact, I would bet most of us are on your side because we have have sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, cousins, friends, and in many cases parents among you. We're all connected, whether some want to be or not.
I loved In and Out. Saw that with my sister and we were still giggling about it on the way home. I haven't seen the other one, but would like to know more about Cole Porter, so I'm glad you mentioned it! I'll check it out.

If only that were true sir, if only...

If only that were true sir, if only...
I think it depends on where you are. Where YOU are, no, not a lot of tolerance, let alone acceptance. Do you plan to stay there?

In the States, there are areas (much of the South and Midwest) where it's still pretty frowned upon. Even California just past a proposition to RE-ban gay marriage. So we've got out backwards pockets, to be sure, but there are places where what rufnek describes is reality.