ban mr.purandara?

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
Nahhh ... we gotta have a scapegoat, and Django doesn't seem to be here right now. And Holden just knows too much to pick on.

I'm a big fan of ignoring people when they get really annoying. That's usually a lot more effective in the long run anyway. Most troublemakers and strife-builders hate to be ignored, because their point is to garner attention for themselves by stirring up trouble.

If this person posts in a thread and says something obnoxious or off-point, etc., just ignore that post and address other posts instead. Better for the ol' blood pressure, too.

He's been warned for some of his more outrageous comments in the past, and if he repeats them, banning will be considered. At the moment, though, there's no rule against being an elitist troublemaker. For the moment, he's curbed his more offensive tendencies enough to keep in line with the forum rules.

well you can ignore just about anyone, but if he annoys most people here and continues to sucker us into pointless debates even though you can't prove anything to trolls, why not just give all of us a breather and send him on his way? wasn't that why that django fellar was banned eventually....people just got sick and tired of him? ( ok, perhapse it was the law suite...i'm amost certain that's not how you spell it...)
he has made the forum more interesting....but we all know how this is gonna end...

oh and yoda...if this is playing by the rules..:
Originally Posted by Purandara88
If by 'mixed' reviews you mean that some reviewers believe it is mediocre while others think it's total crap, I suppose you could almost support that argument. On the other hand, genuinely positive reviews are mighty scarce on the ground.

At 10 bucks at ticket? It better be AT LEAST that good.

I've never understood the point of wasting time and money on movies that aren't thought provoking, or at least once a decade entertaining. There's 80+ years of great movies to be watched for two bucks on rental, why spend 10 bucks a pop (and another 10 for candy and a drink, since there's no ****ing way you can sit through a 151 minute film without a little snack) on a film that aspires to mediocrity.

**** you. I'm right and everyone else is wrong. It's not MY fault you're a bunch of mouth-breathing retards unwilling to admit my manifest superiority.

But don't worry, you'll be the first in the ovens when I rule the world.

and to re-open the censorship debate, how many of you actually ignored the swear words, and how many have read them the way mr.purandara intended them to be read?

Django was, I hope we can all agree, a pretty unique case. He actually broke the rules numerous times, but was allowed to stay. He didn't swear much, but he did have multiple user accounts, which is usually enough.

Anyway, there's definitely a judgement call here: what do you do about someone who's not exactly crossing the line, but seems intent to dance on it all day long? It's not an easy decision. I'm more than willing to consider input from you and other members of the forum, though, in making it. My guess, however, is that people will take the same general approach to Purandara as they did to Django: don't ban him, just encourage him to shape up. Of course, like Django, I suspect they'll also lose patience if nothing changes.

As for censorship, I'm not sure I see your point. You're implying that those words shouldn't be blanked out?

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
i personally think if you have a problem with someone, you should go to a Mod in confidence instead of creating a thread that could quickly go south in no time... there is no good reason for it.

but thats just me...

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I'd be surprised if seeing him banned is as gratifying as you anticipate. It's pretty depressing when it takes that turn, IMO.

That said, to allow his trolling does create an atmosphere here that many simply walk away from. It's not as simple as just ignoring someone, because as you say, he does snare people into his logicless traps. This keeps them from posting elsewhere, and makes the board less fun for those who are ignoring the jerk, simply because there's less positive stuff going on to participate in.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Django was, I hope we can all agree, a pretty unique case. He actually broke the rules numerous times, but was allowed to stay. He didn't swear much, but he did have multiple user accounts, which is usually enough.

Anyway, there's definitely a judgement call here: what do you do about someone who's not exactly crossing the line, but seems intent to dance on it all day long? It's not an easy decision. I'm more than willing to consider input from you and other members of the forum, though, in making it. My guess, however, is that people will take the same general approach to Purandara as they did to Django: don't ban him, just encourage him to shape up. Of course, like Django, I suspect they'll also lose patience if nothing changes.

As for censorship, I'm not sure I see your point. You're implying that those words shouldn't be blanked out?
no, i'm saying that regarldess of the censorship, people who continue to use them should be warned....there is a zero tolerance policy on this forum towards swearing, and if i can follow it so should everyone else....i see little difference in letting them be censored and avoiding the censorhip and leaving them in plain sight....

i wasn't actually here during django's "second coming" but from what i gather, his case wasn't/isn't much different from purandara's...he was a troll and annoyed members just like purandara does....the only difference is that purandara is a newer member and people have not been fed up with him as of yet....but that will soon change no doubt....

Originally Posted by Yoda

Just for the sake of discussion, what is the difference between Purandura and Django? Have you checked the IPs and are you sure it's actually not just another avatar of He Who Would Stir Crap? Their names are similar. Their posting styles are identical: make an indefensible statement and when the gaping holes in it are pointed out, making personal attacks on those who pointed. Defy all logic. Strawmen all over the forum. If he's not Django, then he's certainly made from the same turd-shaped mold.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'm too long in the tooth to get suckered into pointless debates (most of the time anyway) and have always thought that ignoring a troll will deny it the oxygen of discord it so craves.

However.

Ignoring's too good for some and I care not that this particular troll seems reasonably intelligent because there so many other facets of it's character that I find repellent. If it was down to me I'd ban it forthwith as, eventually, the divisiveness will cause arguments and ill-feeling among genuine MoFos who get caught up in the trap. And that's no good.

Not my call though...

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Sammy
Just for the sake of discussion, what is the difference between Purandura and Django?...
Nah, Django never pursued the brand of racism that Pure8 seems to revel in from time to time (and has thankfully laid off on for the most part) - and he never brandished egotism as a point of pride either (well, not from the outset anyway).

This guy isn't Uday, i'm sure of that.

And considering he is a film buff, and can spark interesting debates, potentially, i haven't got a prob with him for now. Altho he almost certainly will degenerate again. And again. Heigh ho.

I wipe my ass with your feelings
Off with his head.

Now I need to make a zesty thread on The Frat Pack!
We're soldiers. Soldiers don't go to hell. It's war. Soldiers, they kill other soldiers. We're in a situation where everybody involved knows the stakes. And if you're gonna accept those stakes... You gotta do certain things. It's business, we're soldiers. We follow codes... Orders.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Is this irony, or code for something?
if you're a member of the Lockheed Junior Superleague you can use your decoder ring to work out the hidden message.

Anyway, nope. Not irony. I'm one of those dreadfully stuffy old-school liberals and that means I'm forced to subscribe to the belief that the right to offend is as guaranteed as the right to speak in the first place.

Anyhow, I rather like Purandara. I know I'm in the minority, but I find his posts to be often entertaining, sometimes educational and always either erudite or insightful. I don't hold his defunct ideology against him, mainly because I don't believe their his sincerely held views anymore than his "arrogance" is genuine. Internet personas, eh? It's a rule of thumb that inverting them tends to reveal the true individual, perhaps more than the individual would like to believe.

What was I saying? Christ, I got lost on a tangent. Uh, in conclusion: This thread is silly.

You forget: he has sterotyped a whole country for the sole pupose of doing so. Yeah this might be "cute" or "entertaining" to some, but I have personally fought for my rights and I am not a prude, but this arse has personly insulted my everyday way of life and my love for my family. That is certainly not acceptable in my book, and were I to meet him on the street I would ask him if he was serious, if he said yes, I would cut his throat. Yeah drastic I know, but it is the truth. I am neither a violent person nor am I a fanatic, but my family is the most important thing in my life and he has personally attacked them..................I would gut him in a second if I thought he was anything more than a baby looking for attention. Why does noone else see this?

I know it may be hard to swallow what I just said and still respect me, but I do not say it out of hate or jest, just honest truth. Start a war Punjabo and yeah you will get one.

MOFO is truly a great place to me and I will never leave unless I am made too, but I also am not one to stay silent...............STFU Punjabi and go away!!!!!!!!!! I will not resort to showing the PMs you have sent me to prove my point as your own attitude shows that you need help. I try not to be out of line here and I do my best to refrain from saying things I should not, but shhheshhh I have done too much and I am too old to put up with this firestarters B.S.!

Originally Posted by Lockheed Martin
if you're a member of the Lockheed Junior Superleague you can use your decoder ring to work out the hidden message.

Anyway, nope. Not irony. I'm one of those dreadfully stuffy old-school liberals and that means I'm forced to subscribe to the belief that the right to offend is as guaranteed as the right to speak in the first place.
If this were about his right to free speech, you'd have a point. But it isn't. He isn't going to be arrested for using racist hate speech, any more than for his piss poor debating skills or for having the social skills of a cocktastic assclown.

We're talking about banning. That denies him no "rights". It denies him access here. That's it. Nobody, with the possible exception of Yoda's mom, has a right to be here, and they certainly don't have a right to spend day after day being so offensive.

For the very reasons you gave, I hope he cuts the crap and participates here without having to be banned. If he lacks the maturity to understand that his negativity gets a response, but it's not a good response, then maybe banning will be needed. As 7thson says, after your post, some of us are adults who have been through enough in real life that we don't have to put up with it in our freetime. This is a nice place, and I value my friends here and the discussion very much. But if someone's going to come here and pointedly disrupt people's ability to enjoy their friends or discussion, then it no longer is of so much value, you know?

Internet personas, eh? It's a rule of thumb that inverting them tends to reveal the true individual, perhaps more than the individual would like to believe.

What was I saying? Christ, I got lost on a tangent. Uh, in conclusion: This thread is silly.
I like the inversion thing... there are many for whom that's not the case, but for some it's spot on. Your friend Purandura has bragged about wearing an SS uniform to the speaking engagement of a holocaust survivor. I don't think he's as much at play here as you want to believe.

And as to the thread being silly - we're spending a fair amount of time talking about something that isn't going to save Medicare or feed Somalians, sure... It's an interesting element of society, what role the rules play, though. Adidasss says in the first post that discussing it is mainly for his entertainment. It's serving that purpose for anyone who bothers to respond. Even the lofty liberals.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Originally Posted by Lockheed Martin
Anyhow, I rather like Purandara. I know I'm in the minority, but I find his posts to be often entertaining, sometimes educational and always either erudite or insightful. I don't hold his defunct ideology against him, mainly because I don't believe their his sincerely held views anymore than his "arrogance" is genuine. Internet personas, eh? It's a rule of thumb that inverting them tends to reveal the true individual, perhaps more than the individual would like to believe.
i disagree! i know that there are people out there, on Mofo, that have certain "personas" but the difference between them and this Purandara guy is their deliverance. it is all about delivery. i believe if he wanted people to not take his posts seriously he would have seriously chosen a different angel of posting. (you don't take his posts literally--than why have so many others taken it to heart?)

perhaps he could come back and say that everyone is making a mountain out of a molehill... its just a movie forum. what is everyone getting so worked up about?

but i know for a fact this movie forum means a lot to many, and i don't think a person such as him, should be allowed to cross such boundaries of intentionally trying to upset and offend anyone (7thsy) without some kind of consequence for their actions.

no?

but like someone else once said, do not feed the animals! (meaning, this thread should have never been started. at least in my opinion)

poof!

Darn I just realized something: It is hard to be tough sounding when ones avatar is a cartoon penguin.

Just imagine Holdens avie in there for a bit, it works better.

There are those who call me...Tim.
Originally Posted by 7thson
Darn I just realized something: It is hard to be tough sounding when ones avatar is a cartoon penguin.
It doesn't help that I imagine you sitting there with your eyes crossed while you're doing it

Anyway, when I see Puarasomething in a debate I just sit back and watch.

Ash (the other one) has the right idea, though.