violence, nudity and cursing in films

Tools    

Depends on the movie really. If it works it works.

history *is* moralizing
c-word. f-word. b-word. z-word - - make them mine!!
who has a problem with any theme, visuals, violence or language should restrain oneself to Bollywood movies.

I have absolutely no problem with any of them. It does not effect my decision too much on what Film I'll watch. They are not my criteria when choosing a film to watch, for me its about the plot and story-line and theme of a movie.

Of course violence niudity and cursing need to be appropriate for the film, unnecessary use of any of them is a turn off for me. They should be used to inhance a film not become the sole purpose, i.e Fight Club; there is a purpose behind the violence, the violence is not there for violence sake.

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by Revenant
not become the sole purpose, i.e Fight Club; there is a purpose behind the violence, the violence is not there for violence sake.
i'm sure there exist examples of that.
Fight Club fortunately does not in any case represent one of those examples. one of the most radical and most criticizing of movies (and novels, never forget) of modern consumerist society.
but maybe violence does blind some, who are then too shocked to see beyond it. a shame for them - they lose a lot.

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by adidasss
fight club...i thought it wasn't that good....
WHAT?????

wash that mouth of yours!
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	fight.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	5543  

i'm serious, i left the theatre a bit dissapointed, i think the ending was too confusing...and i never liked those "split personality" films..it just isn't believable to me. when the secret was revealed, all i could think of was ok, that doesn't make any sense, there was plenty of scenes where we saw the other character doing something else at the same time, even if he was a split personality, he can't be in different places at the same time and it's very deceitful of the director to film it that way. which is basically the same problem i had with " the tale of two sisters" .

history *is* moralizing
i think the ending was too confusing...

and i never liked those "split personality" films..it just isn't believable to me.
1) i reckon it was meant that way, and so is the novel's ending, although slightly less (plus, it IS different!!)
2) it's because you don't know me...

In the Beginning...
i'm serious, i left the theatre a bit dissapointed, i think the ending was too confusing...and i never liked those "split personality" films..it just isn't believable to me.
It really isn't supposed to be all that believable to begin with. The film is very stylized.

when the secret was revealed, all i could think of was ok, that doesn't make any sense, there was plenty of scenes where we saw the other character doing something else at the same time, even if he was a split personality, he can't be in different places at the same time and it's very deceitful of the director to film it that way.
They had to do it that way - otherwise there would have been no secret at all. I think they did a good job of hinting at it by never really showing Tyler and Marla together (and her dialogue lines were BIG clues). As for showing Tyler operate and converse with others, let me ask you - where was Ed Norton during these scenes? Standing in the shadows, off to the side...the only real scene in which both are there and talking to another person is the Raymond K. Hessle scene (so I can see your point on that one).

I thought it was pretty tactfully done, considering the source. They left clues, and once you know the twist, you look back, and you think, "Oh yeah, I should have seen that..."

Actually, I reckon Fight Club is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. On the other hand, I have poor taste. So what do I know?

Originally Posted by Zeiken
California? Copenhagen? Coppertone? Coliflower? Carpool? Its Carpool, isnt it?
Canadian

Cinematic violence/sex/profanity aren't things I look at that closely, being just a few of many dramatic effects in a film-maker's arsenal. Like dancing, fog machines, spooky music. Anyone against movies with dancing, fog machines and spooky theramin music (preferably all at once, and liberally sprinkled with profanity, violence, sodomy and racial slurs)? I suppose there are instances where I will find the use violence is put to offensive or effective, but it's never the prime factor that makes or breaks a film. Though sometimes some understated or carefully placed violence can be very powerful, as in the Ballad of Narayama (Imamura remake); it tends to loose effectiveness when overused.

I can certainly do without violence and cussing (hmm, undecided about sex) in real life though. I grew up in a household where my dad didn't know how to express himself without shouting and cursing constantly and always am annoyed and worried when I catch myself behaving similarly, as I find it completely innefective and pathetic as a device for communicating. On the other hand I rarely get offended when people say stupid/provocative things, and have never been induced to faint from hearing a colorful remark (unlike my debutant W.C.Fields-foil sisters), so perhaps my upbringing had some benefits.

I have no problem with nudity and violence. I have a problem with idiot parents bringing their children to these movies.

Originally Posted by common since
I have no problem with nudity and violence. I have a problem with idiot parents bringing their children to these movies.

Yeah, some parents apparently have no common sense… common since.

Sorry...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Welcome to the human race...
Despite the fact that a lot of my favourite movies feature violence and bad language, at least it's contextual. Using it for exploitational reasons is a little stupid - e.g. any film that drops only ONE F-bomb over its entire length (e.g. Antitrust) or any similar situation (the most glaring example is Ron's "piss off" line in Harry Potter 4). Needless to say, I actually like The Toxic Avenger and Showgirls, despite such qualities. Still, in their case at least it's contextual.

Do it right, that's all I ask.

You have yet to see my masterpiece
I don't like moveis with every other spoken is F this or F that i don't mind movies with sex or violence if it is done well

Originally Posted by John_Doe
I don't like moveis with every other spoken is F this or F that i don't mind movies with sex or violence if it is done well
It is all a mater of taste. When I say taste, I do refer to its relevence within the story, ploting and characters... or the fact that is common, a plot revolving around which sex scene will come next... now they are not my type of film... at a certain time of day.