Gilmore girls

Tools    

well, since there's not much going on in my movie life, i thought i'd start a thread about this show, i'm sure someone else watches it ....i said it somewhere else, most of the time this show is a very relaxing, fun watch for me....i was triggered to write about it now because of todays episode which was very unusual for the Gilmore girls, for you see, today, there was trouble in this little utopian paradise, for the first time the girls are having serious problems in their lives, Lorelai is buckling under the pressure of starting a new inn and is running low on funds whilst Rory on the other hand ( get this ) was told by one of her professors that she'd better drop one of her 5 ( yes 5 ) classes becuase she obviously can't hack it....and the girl almost has a meltdown, the universe is colapsing because she isn't as smart as she thought she was....what ever will she do....
Lorelai on the other hand, for the first time ever in a moment of raw honesty and dispair, said that sometimes, she would really like a partner in her life, someone to share the troubles and obligations, to share the load....a very unusual and realistic reaction, something you don't expect to see in a show like this....this, after all, is Utopia, a place where people don't die or have diseases or real problems, they all have money, it's sunny every day and everyone is real friendly to each other... the biggest problem little Rory has ever had was that she had to chose between 2 boys she really liked ( poor little thing, don't you just feel bad for her? )...and the prime example of how much this show can get rediculous was shown today, when Sookie, having missed a very importaint apointment, says "shoot....shoot, shoot, shoot" in agony, and Lorelai says to her " if ever there was a time to use the real word this would be it".......because shit doesn't exist in Hartford Illinois....

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I loved this show.
I got hooked on it in syndication, a couple of seasons in.
The dialogue is rapid-fire, witty, peppered with hilarious cultural references. For example:

Kirk (a geek) walks in cafe, is offered a seat a the counter: What? You're going to seat me at the counter? Why not a window seat? Why not put me in the window, where the beautiful people are seated? If I were Tom Cruise, where would you seat me?
Lorelei: ...in an acting class?

The characters are pretty archetypical and their problems are pretty fluffy. What makes it work is the acting, which is awesome for the most part, and the writing, which is awesomer (except that guy Daniel Whatshisname who always writes Lorelei as an idiot whinger). The peripheral characters are rather two-dimensional, but are mainly there for the central characters to interact with and as such are often funny, endearing, and serve their purposes well.

The central characters are actually fairly complex, despite being white-bread people in a very white-bread little world. Their problems are pretty universal and they attack them with a wit that I only wish were universal.

Another big draw is - let's be honest here - the shameless use of eye candy. Lorelei and Rory are gorgeous and I'd tune in just to see what they're wearing every week. And Lorelei was always dating some interesting guy with a brain and then there's Luke, who was sort of cro-magnon for much of the run, but in the later seasons he got all sensitive under the scruffiness.

The main thing that I loved about this show is that it's not geared for the lowest common denominator in the viewing audience, as so many (many many many many) tv shows are. The scenarios don't rely on bad behaviour just to make the show splashy and shocking. Instead, it's about real, mostly functional relationships that smart people have, and that makes it relatable and fun to watch.

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by adidasss
i thought i'd start a thread about this show, i'm sure someone else watches it
rediculous ....
one thing first, it's RIdiculous. (can't help after 7-8 posts with that "unortho-graphy"...
and you know very well who likes that show, dontcha? i don't mean only myself.

Man of La Movies
Yeah...the best part of this show is the witty banter that goes on among the main characters and seeing how those not in on the joke react. That, and it takes place in a fictional town in Western CT! Woohoo...

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart

My Reputation: Holy Crap, I'm Well thought of!!!?? I think we're going a little far here??

sorry man, most of the time i don't bother to "spell check" it...and yes, i knew you were a fan, but i thought it best not to name-drop..
i would just like to reiterate that i enjoy watching the show ( even though my post was a tad cynical ), but the episode i watched today was simply refreshing....oh and that Paris girl is really annoying, every time she starts to speak i press the mute button

Man of La Movies
I hadn't even seen that you said anything about that...I just love that it's set in CT...I loved that Judging Amy was set here too(even though the show blew goats)

history *is* moralizing
this show MUST be great, since it proves that anything can happen, even Sammy and this frog agreeing on something.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
The dialogue is rapid-fire, witty, peppered with hilarious cultural references

agreed.

Their problems are pretty universal and they attack them with a wit that I only wish were universal.
agreed again.

Another big draw is - let's be honest here - the shameless use of eye candy. Lorelei and Rory are gorgeous and I'd tune in just to see what they're wearing every week.
and, i add, what they are not wearing.
Lorelei is not the type or age that attracts me, but Rory is. whatever punishment i'd get for it. like i said, i don't have to conceal any of my features. (though it's not the reason why i love the show)

and then there's Luke, who was sort of cro-magnon for much of the run, but in the later seasons he got all sensitive under the scruffiness.
not really agreed here, since i always felt there was more about him, and i like his looks, he's my kinda man! (if i were a woman)

it's not geared for the lowest common denominator in the viewing audience
totally agreed.

history *is* moralizing
and yes, i knew you were a fan, but i thought it best not to name-drop..
you know what?

The central characters are actually fairly complex, despite being white-bread people in a very white-bread little world. Their problems are pretty universal and they attack them with a wit that I only wish were universal.

The main thing that I loved about this show is that it's not geared for the lowest common denominator in the viewing audience, as so many (many many many many) tv shows are. The scenarios don't rely on bad behaviour just to make the show splashy and shocking. Instead, it's about real, mostly functional relationships that smart people have, and that makes it relatable and fun to watch.
what problems would that be? relatable? wow...your life must be great...

what problems would that be? relatable? wow...your life must be great...
My life is pretty great, thanks.
I worked hard to make it so.

I'm talking about problems like being nearly 40 and your mother can still lean on every button you have. Or that you have nosey people in your business or are judged for things you did a long time ago. Or that you really love someone but you're both too scared to do anything about it. Or that coffee isn't available intravenously. Or that you can care about someone so much that it kills you to watch them make bad choices, but there isn't anything you can do about it except watch them walk into the wall.

My life is pretty great, thanks.
I worked hard to make it so.

I'm talking about problems like being nearly 40 and your mother can still lean on every button you have. Or that you have nosey people in your business or are judged for things you did a long time ago. Or that you really love someone but you're both too scared to do anything about it. Or that coffee isn't available intravenously. Or that you can care about someone so much that it kills you to watch them make bad choices, but there isn't anything you can do about it except watch them walk into the wall.
ok, we obviously have different views on what real problems are...and ok, it's relatable for you....it's not even close to being relatable for me....still, it's a funny show, sometimes they make me laugh, sometimes the witty snapish conversations get on my nerves...but i love the relationship she has with her mother and the fact that she's rich, it's nice to day dream...oh and Sookie is hella funny...

ok, we obviously have different views on what real problems are...and ok, it's relatable for you....it's not even close to being relatable for me....still, it's a funny show, sometimes they make me laugh, sometimes the witty snapish conversations get on my nerves...but i love the relationship she has with her mother and the fact that she's rich, it's nice to day dream...oh and Sookie is hella funny...
I didn't say those were relatively fluff problems?
I could have sworn I said that. Like, twice even.

history *is* moralizing
Or that you have nosey people in your business or are judged for things you did a long time ago. Or that you really love someone but you're both too scared to do anything about it. Or that coffee isn't available intravenously. Or that you can care about someone so much that it kills you to watch them make bad choices, but there isn't anything you can do about it except watch them walk into the wall.
bravo!

Is Rory pregnant or something? What's the big problem that everyone seems so worried about?

I really love how the dialog goes back and forth. It is a little far fetched of how Rory talks with her mom. I don't talk with my mom that way.

history *is* moralizing
Kirk (a geek) walks in cafe, is offered a seat a the counter: What? You're going to seat me at the counter? Why not a window seat? Why not put me in the window, where the beautiful people are seated? If I were Tom Cruise, where would you seat me?
Lorelei: ...in an acting class?

twas not Lorelei who said that, but Luke. men can be witty too.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Hey, the Frog is back. How's it goin'?

I got for good luck my black tooth.
I've been watching a ton of this lately and I'm really falling in love with Rory. She's so subtly pretty, intelligent, witty and those big blue eyes...Every 5 seconds she does or says something that just kills me. I have to say I like her best in the first season or so.