Adi's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

history *is* moralizing
hei, first of all, this time, the transcription is correct!

but 1) i really liked it. you're right about the script being confusing, no doubt. but is a movie just the script and you don't have any commentary about
the perfect, brilliant photography?
the great performance by such a young main character?
the magnificent soundtrack?
the splendid dvd presentation?
the feelings one gets, especially at the end, of such a deep beautiful melancholy?
isn't a movie all that too? and as a purpose, especially the latter one?

2) plus, even if confusing, i think we occidentals sometimes don't get the inherent logics of many Asian movies cuz of a difference in mentalities, which at least is a factor to consider.
see, this movie is full of symbolism, things one would maybe explain in words and story here, but just have to be hinted at, symbolized, in such a Korean small world as the movie describes.
take the mirror - at least in 2 important scenes - , whose importance is well shown in the official website, the link to which you can find in my http://www.movieforums.com/community...92&postcount=1 thread (no publicity intended), and

WARNING: spoilers below
it makes it pretty clear this young woman is a reflection of personalities she's surrounded by. first the death of her young sister sent her to a mental institution, secondly when she comes back, still identifying with the sister, she finds another character still there to identify with too, her stepmother, who even caused the death of her mother. all with the background of a prohibited incestual love to her father, hence the jealousy she feels.

the pills she takes (and maybe the stepmother really does too) causes delusions, justifying the visions throughout the movie, which by the way me and some friends *did find* scary.
and there's much more to it, the story being based on a folktale.
and did you know that funny detail explaining the original title, that, nonono, doesn't mean "two sisters"......., that "In the original story, the sisters' names are Janghwa and Hongryeon (Rose Flower and Red Lotus). In the movie, they are Su-mi and Su-yeon (still mean Rose and Lotus)." (imdb)
that could make us look for more symbolism.
of course, the deleted scenes make things slightly clearer too.

so yes, it's confusing. or even a bit confused? but there's more to it, especially on a more subtle, emotional level, accompanied by those wonderful pictures... abstract, like music. and music cannot really be explained, can it?
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	deuxsoeurs3.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	5339  

Originally Posted by chicagofrog
hei, first of all, this time, the transcription is correct!

but 1) i really liked it. you're right about the script being confusing, no doubt. but is a movie just the script
yes, a humongous part
and you don't have any commentary about
the perfect, brilliant photography?
the great performance by such a young main character?
the magnificent soundtrack?
the splendid dvd presentation?
the feelings one gets, especially at the end, of such a deep beautiful melancholy?
isn't a movie all that too? and as a purpose, especially the latter one?
the photography is good, but i've come to expect that from asian films so i didn't think much of it ( and if you want truly stuning photography see "spring, summer..." by Kim Ki-Duk
the performance from the girl couldn't possibly save the movie, the soundtrack got a bit rediculous at times ( those slashing noises for instance), i watched it in the theatre so no dvd presentation for me, and i really didn't get any feeling of melancholy at the end, just confusion and frustration....like i said, the "jigsaw puzzle" style of the last hour of the movie was a wrong choice...
2) plus, even if confusing, i think we occidentals sometimes don't get the inherent logics of many Asian movies cuz of a difference in mentalities, which at least is a factor to consider.
see, this movie is full of symbolism, things one would maybe explain in words and story here, but just have to be hinted at, symbolized, in such a Korean small world as the movie describes.
take the mirror - at least in 2 important scenes - , whose importance is well shown in the official website, the link to which you can find in my http://www.movieforums.com/community...92&postcount=1 thread (no publicity intended), and

WARNING: spoilers below
it makes it pretty clear this young woman is a reflection of personalities she's surrounded by. first the death of her young sister sent her to a mental institution, secondly when she comes back, still identifying with the sister, she finds another character still there to identify with too, her stepmother, who even caused the death of her mother. all with the background of a prohibited incestual love to her father, hence the jealousy she feels.

the pills she takes (and maybe the stepmother really does too) causes delusions, justifying the visions throughout the movie, which by the way me and some friends *did find* scary.
that's because you're wuses..haha....seriously though, even though the story is potentialy interesting ( in fact very interesting) i thought the director could have explained it better, although you haven't said anything about the clear lack of logic, sense and meaning of certain scenes and parts of the story....
and my lack of knowledge on the asian culture is more apparent when you watch "spring, summer....", this film could easily be done as a western remake because there is nothing inherently asian about the basic plot, it's common to us all....
and there's much more to it, the story being based on a folktale.
and did you know that funny detail explaining the original title, that, nonono, doesn't mean "two sisters"......., that "In the original story, the sisters' names are Janghwa and Hongryeon (Rose Flower and Red Lotus). In the movie, they are Su-mi and Su-yeon (still mean Rose and Lotus)." (imdb)
that could make us look for more symbolism.
of course, the deleted scenes make things slightly clearer too.

so yes, it's confusing. or even a bit confused? but there's more to it, especially on a more subtle, emotional level, accompanied by those wonderful pictures... abstract, like music. and music cannot really be explained, can it?
the simbolism is just fine but it makes up a very small part of the total feel of the movie and the experience,and you simply cannot deny the things i've said about it...
( and yes, i have read that snippet on imdb )

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by adidasss
the photography is good, but i've come to expect that from asian films so i didn't think much of it ( and if you want truly stunning photography see "spring, summer..." by Kim Ki-Duk
the performance from the girl couldn't possibly save the movie, the soundtrack got a bit rIdiculous at times ( those slashing noises for instance), i watched it in the theatre so no dvd presentation for me, and i really didn't get any feeling of melancholy at the end, just confusion and frustration
don't get upset, people would think you're French!

all the things you say there are questions of taste, just like i'll never discuss Tori Amos with a hard-rock fan. different things appeal to us is all.
i'm still impressed by the photography.
i read i'm not the only one impressed too by the actress's richness of expression.
i never found the music ridiculous, but then i like Goth!
and you don't feel melancholy there, i do, how weird uh?

i thought the director could have explained it better, although you haven't said anything about the clear lack of logic, sense and meaning of certain scenes and parts of the story....
because i wanna rewatch it before i do.
and like i said, you were right on the being confusing, or do i have to write it down and sign? never said it's a perfect movie either, or something.

i don't understand what you mean by your comparison with one Kim Ki-Duk movie.

and you simply cannot deny the things i've said about it...
okay okay, i'll SIGN!

i don't deny anything, like i clearly WROTE, but i don't have to agree with you either on the whole experience of watching this movie!

don't get upset, people would think you're French!

all the things you say there are questions of taste, just like i'll never discuss Tori Amos with a hard-rock fan. different things appeal to us is all.
i'm still impressed by the photography.
i read i'm not the only one impressed too by the actress's richness of expression.
i never found the music ridiculous, but then i like Goth!
and you don't feel melancholy there, i do, how weird uh?

because i wanna rewatch it before i do.
and like i said, you were right on the being confusing, or do i have to write it down and sign? never said it's a perfect movie either, or something.

i don't understand what you mean by your comparison with one Kim Ki-Duk movie.

okay okay, i'll SIGN!

i don't deny anything, like i clearly WROTE, but i don't have to agree with you either on the whole experience of watching this movie!
yes you do!

( oh and the comparison would be regarding the use of symbolism and the much more stunning photography ( we're talking about the visual look here right?) in Kim Ki-Duk's film, actually, come to think of it, what was so stunning about the photography in this one?)

Jian Gui ( The eye) – Oxide Pang Chun
value

Well, this is a very different viewing experience from the tale of two sisters even though they're supposed to be of the same genre ( horror/thriller). It's very similar to the sixth sense only it doesn't have the surprise ending and is much more a full blooded horror then the sixth sense.

The story is about a young blind girl who gets a cornea transplantation, but soon after the operation starts seeing dead people most of whom are anything but benevolent.

I have to say , some scenes from this film almost gave me a heart attack, the use of sound to create an uneasy and creepy feeling is so brilliant, as well as to make you jump from your seat. The plot is very straight forward and fairly simple which makes for a good watch.

I loved how they were so meticulous when showing the process the main character goes through as a person that has regained sight after some 20 years. Certain parts of it were pretty silly ( the love affair between the girl and the psychiatrist was perhaps unnecessary ) but that doesn't hurt the film as a whole. All in all, a good scare, a good watch.

Samaria ( Samaritan girl ) – Kim Ki-Duk
value

Another good movie from Kim Ki-Duk, i'm really starting to dig this guy, can't wait for "3-iron". The story is a bit strange, it's about a young girl and her friend ( and lover?) who is prostituting herself so they can pay for the airplane tickets to europe. While the friend finds having sex with strange men an unusually fulfilling experience ( and loves all of her "lovers" ), the other one is getting more and more troubled by it.

During one of these meetings ( with men ) the friend gets caught by the police and throws herself out the window. After the death of her friend the other friend decides to give all the money back to the costumers ( as a means to undo what her friend has done ) and ends up having sex with them, and enjoying it, because she too starts to see it as a tool for making other people happy ( just like her deceased friend ) and maybe goes a bit nuts in the process...
But soon, her father sees her in a hotel room with a man and outraged by what his daughter has done ( or what the men were doing to his daughter ) starts on a path of revenge.

The use of silence as Ki-Duk's trademark of sorts is present again, but unlike in "Spring, summer...." where it serves to depict the process of personal growth, here, silence is detrimental to the destinies of the main characters.
This movie is like poetry, slow and thoughtful, an emotional journey, as the characters try to come to terms with what they had done, and to come to terms with one another . If only they had the courage to simply talk to each other things would have been so much different.

Thanks for the interesting reviews Dassy the Eye: i hate it when movies have the person having an affair with their Psychiatrist or therapist, because in real life it is a big deal, the therapist is usually struck off and publicly humiliated, there are very strict rules about this type of behaviour, thats my little rant,

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I'm glad you dug The Eye, I think your review summed it up perfectly. Now I'm going to have to check out Samaria since you rated it higher, but having watched 3 Iron last night I can guess why - that movie is outstanding!

Originally Posted by nebbit
Thanks for the interesting reviews Dassy the Eye: i hate it when movies have the person having an affair with their Psychiatrist or therapist, because in real life it is a big deal, the therapist is usually struck off and publicly humiliated, there are very strict rules about this type of behaviour, thats my little rant,
hahaha....thanks nebbit, i'm really growing quite fond of you you know.... and i can't believe you managed to make a nickname from a nickname...that's very cute..
Originally Posted by OG-
I'm glad you dug The Eye, I think your review summed it up perfectly. Now I'm going to have to check out Samaria since you rated it higher, but having watched 3 Iron last night I can guess why - that movie is outstanding!
damn you for watching it before me! damn you!
oh, and i have different criterias for different movies, even though the eye wasn't as deep and meaningful as samaria, in it's own genre it's superb
p.s. don't you think the poster for samaritan girl is really beautiful and elegant? i had a choice between 2 posters and even though the other one was perhapse more true to the plot, i found this one to be prettier....

history *is* moralizing
damn you for watching it before me! damn you!
i watched it before you too, some 5 months ago! and yep, i liked it. good review!
didn't dig Samarta/Samaritan Girl so much though, which i saw half a year ago.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Jian Gui ( The eye) – Oxide Pang Chun

well, this is a very different viewing experience from the tale of two sisters even though they're supposed to be of the same genre ( horror/thriller). It's very similar to the sixth sense only it doesn't have the surprise ending and is much more a full blooded horror then the sixth sense. The story is about a young blind girl who gets a cornea transplantation, but soon after the operation starts seeing dead people most of whom are anything but benevolent. I have to say , some scenes from this film almost gave me a heart attack, the use of sound to create an uneasy and creepy feeling is so brilliant, as well as to make you jump from your seat. The plot is very straight forward and fairly simple which makes for a good watch. I loved how they were so meticulous when showing the process the main character goes through as a person that has regained sight after some 20 years. Certain parts of it were pretty silly ( the love affair between the girl and the psychiatrist was perhaps unnecessary ) but that doesn't hurt the film as a whole. All in all, a good scare, a good watch.

4/5
I have been dying to see this, but can't find it anywhere.

Suspect's Reviews

i watched it before you too, some 5 months ago! and yep, i liked it. good review!
didn't dig Samarta/Samaritan Girl so much though, which i saw half a year ago.
ok, this time i'm positive that it's not samarta but samaria, because one of the chapters in the movie is called samaria....for sure....
and i wasn't exactly blown away by samaria, unlike turtles can fly ,hence the 4.5 rating, but i couldn't deny the wonderful storytelling and the very deep story, i thought "spring, summer..." was better and 3-iron is supposed to be his best film so OG, don't expect samaria to be as good as 3-iron....it's a good film, but it's not outstanding....

no i don't, YOU do!
haven't you realised yet that i am the SUPREME AUTHORITY ON WHAT'S GOOD AND WHAT'S NOT, ergo, you must agree with everything i say and if you disagree with me again i will go Kung-fu on your ass ( as soon as i learn it )!!

history *is* moralizing
haven't you realised yet that i am the SUPREME AUTHORITY ON WHAT'S GOOD AND WHAT'S NOT, ergo, you must agree with everything i say and if you disagree with me again i will go Kung-fu on your ass ( as soon as i learn it )!!
it won't work, i've always been polytheist!

yes yes Samaria, sorry for the mistake and typos and i'm running back to my learning books

Hauru no ugoku shiro (Howl's moving castle) – Hayao Miyazaki
value

Well, after reading fairly negative reviews on this film, i have to say i was very pleasantly surprised after having seen it. I'm a fan of Miyazaki ( although i've only seen 3 of his latest films ) so i simply had to see this one too, despite the reviews. And boy was i right.

This is a fantastic fairy tale about a young girl ( Sophie ), who, after an encounter with a wizard ( Howl ), gets turned into an old woman by a ( jealous ) witch . She then leaves her home in search of a counterspell . She ends up as a cleaning lady in Howl's magical moving castle and eventually falls in love with Howl, a young wizard who has lost his heart in a deal he made with a certain spirit. There's also a "little" war going on in the midst of all this, which Howl refuses to be a part of and thus creates enemies of the king's court witch.

This film is not only hilarious, but breathtakingly beautiful. And in my opinion it's better then Spirited away and very close to being as good as Princess Mononoke. I actually thought that Spirited away had to little magic in it and too few adorable characters, which Miyazaki more then makes up for in this one. It's filled with magical creatures ( ok, so was Spirited away ) and magic of all sorts ( flying battle ships, bewitched scarecrows, wizards and witches of all sorts doing their magic( god i'm such a kid ), which they didn't do very often in Spirited away) and there are so many adorable and funny characters you simply won't be able to wipe the grin from your face.

Not only is this film visually much more spectacular then Spirited away, but it's also way funnier, like when Sophie discovers the disadvantages of being old, or Howl's narcissism ( yes, narcissism!! I laughed my guts off in the scene where he goes nuts because Sophie mixed up his shampoo in the bathroom and his hair changed colour and the guy says in total despair that life isn't worth living if you're not pretty!!aaahahaha), the little fire Calcifer and his sarcastic humor, not to mention Heen the dog, who doesn't say a word but his cynical look sends you to the floor.

The story does get a bit confusing at the very end, but you can still understand the basic plot ( c'mon, it's a fairly tale, how complicated can it be ) and it in no way diminishes the overall experience of the film. So don't believe what they tell you ,it's awesome and great fun ( unless you're a grumpy grump with absolutely no sense of humor ).

Well boys and girls, the "Asian film week" has ended, hope you had some use of these reviews and will see most of these films.
So here's a little reminder of all the films i've seen and their ratings, going from the best to the worst ( which are still worth seeing ):

1. Turtles can fly – Bahman Ghobadi
( by far, the best of all the films i've seen in the film week ) - 5/5

2. Spring, summer, autumn, winter...and spring – Kim Ki-Duk - 5/5

3. Memories of murder – Joon-ho Bong - 5/5

4. Howl's moving castle – Hayao Miyazaki - 4.5/5

5. Samaritan girl – Kim Ki-Duk - 4.5/5

6. The Twilight Samurai – Yoji Yamada - 4/5

7. The eye – Oxide Pang Chun - 4/5

8. The World – Zhang Ke Jia - 3.5/5

9. A tale of two sisters – Ji-woon Kim - 2.5/5

history *is* moralizing
hei, you're lucky to have such a festival of movies bud! and good reviews (in general! )

Croatia in the EU by 2008
please noooooooooooooo