Kevin Costner and oil-separating technology

Tools    

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_606542.html

"Actor Kevin Costner testified today in Washington before the House Energy and Environment subcommittee during a Congressional hearing investigating the Gulf oil spill. He is considered an expert on separating oil from water since he is a proponent of and investor in an oil-separating technology, Ocean Therapy Solutions, which has created a machine that purifies water using centrifugal force."

At this point... they should give anything that might help a try...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I'm surprised they haven't employed the microbes taht was proven to work in texas in the late 80's.

Well i can't say im particularly surprised, Disaster Capitalism is a growth industry.

makes me sad tbph. Greed of a few triumphs over the needs of many.

It'll be interesting to see how greed plays out against a bunch of irate Cajuns...

Unfortunately we already saw that with FEMA's response to Katrina.

My heart really goes out to everyone in the Gulf Coast area. Just when they were making some real progress in rebuilding...

Yeah, I only looked in here because I was intrigued/confused by the thread title.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
They just mean that they didn't know that Costner was an expert on oil cleanup. Costner gets made fun of around here sometimes, but I'm doing my part to turn the tide, so to speak. Your title is just fine and so is the thread.

Lord of all Fevers and Plague
If Costner and Cameron could join forces and fix this, they could win elections in 2012.

Go Movie Industry!

EDIT: Or at least make a movie about it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_606542.html

"Actor Kevin Costner testified today in Washington before the House Energy and Environment subcommittee during a Congressional hearing investigating the Gulf oil spill. He is considered an expert on separating oil from water since he is a proponent of and investor in an oil-separating technology, Ocean Therapy Solutions, which has created a machine that purifies water using centrifugal force."
Basically, what Costner and his brother have come up with is a large centrifuge that whirls oil and water round and round until they separate from each other. BP has said it will try the machinery. Costner claims it will produce 100% oil from one side and 99% pure water from the other. Not sure what happens with that other 1% of water.

Haven't seen anything about verified test results from BP or anyone else at this point. Just the claims of the Costner brothers. Many of the Congressmen likely got their pictures taken with the movie star after he testified. Folks in Washington just love show biz!

Of course, picking up and reclaiming oil from water is not a simple task, and it will be interesting to see if the Costner invention is up to the demands. For one thing, I wonder if it can handle meaningful volumes. Maybe so.

Reminds me of a few years ago, the guy who played the Russian boxer in one of those Rocky films came to the annual Offshore Technology Convention here in Houston to promote a "magic box" his brother invented that one would load on an airplane and fly over land or water and it would tell you not only where hydrocarbons were deposited but whether it was oil or gas. Lots of people came to his press conference and lots of people stopped by his brother's booth to get autographed photos of the movie star, but they never came back to the show and I never heard again about the ultra-secret do-hickey they were promoting.

@ mark f : ow got it,my bad
@rufnek : great info,thanx for noticing/sharing...also verry much wondering about handeling "meaningfull volumes"...

Looking forward

If Costner and Cameron could join forces and fix this, they could win elections in 2012.

Go Movie Industry!

Oddly enough, one of the Baldwin brothers reportedly is over in Louisiana making a documentary about Costner and his centrifuge.

@ mark f ow got it,my bad
@rufnek : great info,thanx for noticing/sharing
You're welcome, Skip. I was just reading about this earlier today, but Costner has been making the rounds talking to various media about it since late May. Costner says it works and government and BP officials say they will test it, but I've yet to see a picture of it working or any 3rd party data indicating it does indeed work.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World

Go Movie Industry!

You just know that Prince Namor has been green-lighted.