Foreign films

Tools    

Has anyone seen the Japanese Dimajin trilogy? An unstoppable slow motion monster who looks after the common people.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Foreign film? Honestly, it's my first time heard that term. I mean I am not used to use that term. Talking about foreign film means that there is domestic film. Then, it may depends on which country is the base, as domestic one. I am little bit confused.....Because I tend to use term like Hollywood, Bollywood, Asian (Japanese, Korean, etc), Europe (British, etc), etc. But btw then, what's or how do you define domestic film?

if someone uses the term "foreign film" to me, I tend to think of it as anything that's not spoken in English. I'm British so although technically I suppose American films are 'foreign' to me, they're in the same language - see what I mean? Although like you I think of films in the countries they come from, but unlike you I wouldn't think of 'European films' more think of them as the European countr they come from.
Domestic films for me are British ones.

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
I watch a lot of Asian movies since I've pretty much given up on new American films. I really like the films of Park Chan-wook (Oldboy, Joint Security Area), Sion Sono (Suicide Circle, Strange Circus) and Takashi Miike (Ichi the Killer, Audition). I just tend to find Asian movies overall more entertaining and have better story structure.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Yeah, we also can say that movies with non English language as a foreign ones. I think this kind of thinking is also used by OSCAR Award, which put non English movies in foreign category. But, I think they even put other than American movies in foreign category.
Not so sure, but I think that's what they do.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
It's called "Best Foreign Language Film", so that means it's mostly not in English. Sorry. I'm not responsible for other peoples' identifiers.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Yeah, you're right. Some movie awards use that terms.
Anyways, that still means foreign film, although they put word "language" in between.

French: A Very Long Engagement; Irreversible; Jean de Florette.

German: Downfall; Stalingrad; The Lives of Others.

Russian: Come and See; Agony.

Chinese: Raise the Red Lantern; Blind Shaft.

Spanish: Dog Eat Dog.

Best Bergman film?

I love foreign films and they overrule american films on my netflix queue. I love how they touch on topics that american mainstream movies shy away from or can't further expand on they way they would like their vision viewed because of mpaa or whatever reasons. I just finished watching In The Mood For Love for the 5th time this year, I find that movie incredibly sexy even with the lack of sex. Also loved 2046 and Lust,Caution and La Dolce Vita, Belle De Jour
The rest were also great but unless I have nothing else to watch, won't be viewing a second time.

Irreversible -the sole reason I even got NetFlix
Broken Embraces
Priceless
Ju Dou
Oldboy
Io Non ho Paura
Red Road
In The Realm of the Senses
A Nos Amours
The Child
I Stand Alone
Untold Scandal
Three Times - Seen twice I lOVE the first story gives me butterflies in my tummy
No Sympathy For Lady Vengeance
Water
Tell No One
Be With Me

Then they were few that I really did NOTcare for

Battle in Heaven
Show Me Love
Bad Guy
Romance
Unfaithful Women
La Moustache

But even though they were not to my liking, I appreciate the experience I got from each one of them which is my goal when watching a movie besides for pure entertainment. A Foreign film to me is just that, a culture, language that is albeit foreign to me as an english speaker, raised in America.