Reading Tab

Tools    

yeah, I'd like to read more stuff from that period. Castle of Otranto was archaic and rudimentary in a lot of ways but Tristram Shandy and Candide are excellent (especially the former) and I'm sure there's more where those came from.

My project for now is just to maximize my enjoyment of Jane Austen's novel though. She's been good enough to me that I hope for the added effort to pay off, and if I read some decent books that I wouldn't otherwise have found in the process... awesome.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
You didn't happen to read [The Maltese Falcon] because it's one of my two fave novels, did you?
yeah, pretty much, and i liked it quite a bit. how you like other detective novels like the big sleep... i'd like to hear what makes you pick this as not just your favorite of the genre but you're favorite novel. is this your favorite genre? like the new avatar by the way, have you read akira?
I have to admit that I read most of my fave novels in my pre-college days. Something about having to read Lord Jim and Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man during college, for credit, when I was a Biology major, rubbed me the wrong way. I freely admit that I had much less of a problem watching the films La Terra Trema, Last Year at Marienbad, Fellini-Satyricon, King Lear, The Girls (Flickoma), etc. because they only took about two-to-two-and-a-half hours to watch, and I could still discuss it as coherently as possible on one viewing without the aid of the Internet. I used to enjoy reading fiction. I read both The Maltese Falcon and In Cold Blood for the first time when I was 12 and they immediately made the real world much more real and threatening to me. Yean, even more threatening than my trying to defend one of my best friends from gangstas about twice a week during and after school.

The only novel which blew my mind in college which I enjoyed and reread was One Hundred Years of Solitude. It might have had something to do with the fact that I was actually reading The Bible a lot, but Marquez's (and his translator's) poetic language which believably conveyed magical realism in something resembling an undefined time and perhaps even an alternate universe, really spoke to me on a personal level which the Book was doing for me too at the time. And no, please don't visualize Alex in A Clockwork Orange during his Bible phase when you visualize me at this time.

Let's see, I'm not really answering your question, but since I feel close to you (obviously in an unsentimental way), I've read all of Hammett's but The Maltese Falcon is just so perfect. Although I've probably seen every movie adaptation of Chandler and Cain, I don't believe that I've actually read any of their novels. Don't make too much fun of me or feel too bad for me (I got that adverb correct, Austruck!) because there's a slight chance that I might read another novel some time in the probably-distant future.

Re: my avatar, you know it changes every week, so this is my version of Manga/Anime. It just looked cool. But maybe I'll find one to have and to hold forever. One THat ONLy WILL BE MINE!!!MAWHAhahaHA!!!!!

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
At the moment im reading another Discworld Novel, Night Watch. It is another installment in the Watch books following the misadventures of Sir Samuel Vimes. I am really loving the book so far and im about 3/4's the way through it.

Before this book I was reading Nipper Read - The Man Who Nicked The Krays. I stopped reading it due to having a bad spell through my illness but im sure I will pick it back up once I have had my Discworld fix

Crime and Punishment
By Fyodor Dostoevsky

My goodness, what a tome. I started reading it before moving, so I was never able to read it as quickly as I would have liked and probably put it down for days (or a week) at a time more than once. Consequently, reading the whole thing from start to finish stretched out over more than 2 months. Of course, this was in part because the book is 200,000+ words. Yikes. If you had to describe the book's length in one sentence (though the book itself would take 12), it's this: the Epilogue is two chapters.

Crime and Punishment is, of course, an out-and-out classic, and I can't quibble with the designation. It's hard to imagine a more thorough and perceptive description of moral breakdown and desperation. The protagonist is named Rodion Romanovich Raskolnikov, but he's alternately known as: Rodion, Rodia, Riodon Romanovich, and Raskolnikov. And some of these might vary depending on which translation of the book you get. All the characters are like this: they're referred to by first names, last names, first and middle names (a Russian custom, at least at the time), or nicknames that are only slightly similar to their first names. It can be a bit tricky, to say the least.

Anyway, Raskolnikov has decided to kill an old pawnbroker woman. What's lovely about this is the the book thrusts us right into his life and internal ramblings after he's made this decision, but before he's committed the actual act, leaving us at first to deduce just what he means by references to "it" (the action) as he talks to himself, a technique Dostoevsky will use again with another character near the end of the book.

There are a tremendous number of events in the book; Raskolnikov leaves his room, meets someone, and goes back. Then a friend or relative or stranger appears at his door. Then they leave. Then he goes out again. The sheer number of actions nearly rival the amount of time spent inside each character's inner monologue, which is plenty significant in its own right. We see things from the point of view of Raskolnikov, his sister, his friend Razumikhin, and Sonia, a local prostitute who falls into her profession to support a drunken father and destitute family.

I have some thoughts about the book's key passages and most significant quotes ("a heart unhinged by theories" is one of the most memorable), but so much of it is contextual. If anyone else here has read it and cares to talk a little about it, I'd be plenty interested.

I am told that Dostoevsky essentially invented the third-person omniscient view that is employed here. It's hard to imagine how he could have told such a sweeping story without it, perhaps demonstrating that necessity really is the mother of invention, at least in the Motherland. Can't tell the tale you want with common literary styles? Well, make one up. I imagine it's hard to overstate just how significant this innovation is.

I'm not going to rate this book, because I feel I'd have to elevate myself to do so. I could quibble, in a very modern way, with the oppressive length, but the parts add up to a whole that's beyond reckoning.

That I can be alive almost 150 years after this work was published, in a completely different part of the world, and still find numerous universal insights into humanity from this book, is fairly remarkable. One would expect much older literature to be lacking in those moments where we recognize a character's thought process, reaction, or rationalizing as perfectly mirroring our own, but there are many such examples in Crime and Punishment. It's almost as if it wants its reader to relate to what Raskolnikov thinks just enough to dare us to wonder if we have such wretchedness deep inside us, as well.

Quite a book. Has anyone else has the pleasure of reading it?

there's a frog in my snake oil
I never managed to complete it, in part because I found it very successfully evocative, but to the extent that I felt like I was also going through the punishment, despite not having committed the crime. It was very engrossing though, and it's been nigh on decades since then. Should probably have another stab at some point.

Funny you should mention both your reaction and not finishing it, because both happened to me, as well. I started to read it, oh, at least 5 years ago, maybe 8 (I don't remember, honestly), and got probably more than a third of the way through. I had to stop for awhile (it didn't help that the copy I had was tremendously beat up and may have been missing a page or two, which leads to utter chaos in a book like this). I picked it back up, but too much time had passed for something so dense, so I knew I had to start over and got my hands on a new copy in January.

You're right, the book does feel a little like punishment at times, doesn't it? I found myself wanting Raskolnikov to confess for the same reasons he found himself tempted to do so; just to have it all over with! It's hard to contend with this feeling when reading an undeniably brilliant and important book, and it's hard to know whether or not to blame the book for feeling like work, or ourselves for having such a reaction. In this case things are even more muddled than usual, since I'm fairly certain it's supposed to create this kind of reaction.

I did find, however, that about two-thirds of the way through, I started reading much more quickly, propelled forward by the desire to see how it would all end. Amusingly, most of the bests parts (I thought) were fairly near the end, anyway, with a few notable exceptions.

Count me in also as one who's started Crime and Punishment several times over the years and never finished it (as well as War and Peace and Anna Karenina!) so well done Yods for completing it. Must be a satisfactory feeling!

That's a great book, Yoda. One of my favorites, actually.

Currently reading:

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Loved that book! A Spanish friend told me about it and we had to wait ages for the translation.

Count me in also as one who's started Crime and Punishment several times over the years and never finished it (as well as War and Peace and Anna Karenina!) so well done Yods for completing it. Must be a satisfactory feeling!
It really is, particularly after one failed attempt myself. Was quite a dejected feeling to realize that, if I ever wanted to finish, I'd have to re-read the 70,000 or so words. Big old d'oh moment, right there.

That's a great book, Yoda. One of my favorites, actually.
Very cool. I know this is such a vague question but...thoughts? Favorite themes/scenes? Obviously it's hard to pin down, but...the two themes that stand out, to me:
  1. That a certain brand of nihilistic, secular thought (which was coming into vogue in Dostoevsky's day) is genuinely dangerous and leads to depravity. Nietzsche-ism, basically.
  2. There is freedom in suffering.
Can't elaborate without spoilers, so I'll hide the rest...

WARNING: "Crime and Punishment" spoilers below
The first point is obviously me downright explicit in the Epilogue, but is also indicated heavily in the discussions about Raskolnikov's article. It's interesting to me that so many classical thinkers saw this brand of thought as so thoroughly dangerous.

If you're interested in this aspect of the book at all, I would highly, highly recommend The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton. It's far lighter and a bit more fantastical (and the ending is...strange), but it's a good deal more creative and it takes aim at the exact same target. And it contains what might be my favorite passage from any book, ever.

Anyway, while the first point is primarily intellectual, the second is primarily emotional. It's interesting that Raskolnikov, both before confessing and after, while in prison, is annoyed that he isn't more guilt-ridden! He seems to realize that he could possibly live a happy life again if only he could persuade himself that what he did was wrong, and suffered accordingly for it. There's a glimmer of light even in this lament, though, because by recognizing that he is not this way, he is still judging himself against a standard that understands that he should be. It's the old quote about people who despise themselves still having respect for themselves, because they recognize themselves as one who despises. Raskolnikov knows right and wrong enough to want to feel that what he's done is wrong, and that tiny glimmer of true morality makes his redemption in the Epilogue possible.

By the by, the Epilogue did feel quite strange at times, and as soon as I'd read it I thought to myself "I'll bet anything that this is controversial among literary types and that many people wish it hadn't been included." Sure enough, even people who love the book often seem to dislike it. While I feel its a bit less artful and reduces the impact of the book's ending proper, it positively has to be there, given all that's come before it.

A little rambly, but a jumping off point, if nothing else.

Just on a side note Yoda, I've heard Rachel Polonsky being interviewed a couple of times on teh news and on a book programme on the radio about her book Molotov's Magic Lantern. Sounded interesting
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/b...ky-review.html

there's a frog in my snake oil
Oo, nice one. I'm reading that now It's going pretty good at the mo ~ nice mix of cultural, political and literal reminiscences & investigations. She's got a good eye for detail as well concerning her own ten years there. I'll stick a review up here when I'm done

Good stuff, christine; thanks for the link. I'm trying to plan out the next several books I want to read (need to be more systematic about it, I think), and this one could easily find its way onto the pile quite soon.

and still find numerous universal insights into humanity from this book, is fairly remarkable
Can't agree more. I can't really say much about Crime and punishment as I've read it a year ago and my memory isn't that good, only that I liked The idiot slightly better (also a massive read but I felt it was more fluid, better structured and I can't say enough about a book which manages to keep you on the edge of the seat after each single chapter even though not much happens and covers every single logical option to its seemingly inevitable conclusion
WARNING: "the idiot" spoilers below
(which is that absolute good is doomed.)
I read about the concept (what happens to a perfect, almost Christ-like figure in society, regardless of the setting, it could easily apply today) after I read the book, though, and it made it even more brilliant). Absolutely genius. Especially considering the time when it was written. What a mind.

hey thanks Gol I'll be interested in your review. Y'know I've just come back from Waterstones meself - vouchers to spend - and forgot all about the Polonsky book. Since finishing From Hell (so impressed) and in the middle of reading this:

which is a factual report of a mysterious Victorian murder, I had a hankering for Edgar Allen Poe so bought a copy of his collected tales. Also bought this (I might be becoming a comic book fan!)

Can't agree more. I can't really say much about Crime and punishment as I've read it a year ago and my memory isn't that good, only that I liked The idiot slightly better (also a massive read but I felt it was more fluid, better structured and I can't say enough about a book which manages to keep you on the edge of the seat after each single chapter even though not much happens and covers every single logical option to its seemingly inevitable conclusion
WARNING: "the idiot" spoilers below
(which is that absolute good is doomed.)
I read about the concept (what happens to a perfect, almost Christ-like figure in society, regardless of the setting, it could easily apply today) after I read the book, though, and it made it even more brilliant). Absolutely genius. Especially considering the time when it was written. What a mind.
Well said. I've heard good things about The Idiot and the rest of his works, though I lack the intellectual stamina to delve into another massive book of his before I've processed this one and read some lighter fare first, I think. But I highly doubt this will be the last time I dive into Dostoevsky's mind.

Your post makes me want to go back and re-read a few passages so I can make special note of the ones that gave me that splendid moment of "yes! I've thought exactly that!" I think, mostly, it was those instances where Raskolnikov blurted something odd out, then internally chastised himself for saying something odd, and then thought it worse still that he was chastising himself and obsessing over something so small. I have absolutely done that, many, many times.

EDIT: d'oh, read the spoiler before you added the tags. Oh well. I doubt it will effect my enjoyment, though it sounds like a surprising tack for Dostoevsky to take, given his beliefs. Makes me curious about it, to say the least.

Indeed. I've only read 3 of his books and I had to take a long break after each one. I'm still preparing myself for The brothers Karamazov.

There are plenty of amazing thoughts about life/death/religion/human nature (what stuck in my mind in particular were his descriptions of a mock hanging and epilepsy (apparently he was himself a victim of a mock execution and an epileptic). Kinda made me want to break out a notebook and write them down.

Incidentally, I think I've recommended this before, but since I figure you'd go for the same sort of thing as I do (great insight into the human nature type of stuff), you should add Ivo Andrić to your must read list, lighter (and shorter ) fare than Dostoevsky, but so many great thoughts written from a perspective of a man who is familiar with every facet of the human mind and nature, which only the greatest of writers posses. Do check him out (especially The bridge on the Drina and The time of the consuls, if you can track them down), I'm sure you won't regret it.

EDIT: d'oh, read the spoiler before you added the tags. Oh well. I doubt it will effect my enjoyment, though it sounds like a surprising tack for Dostoevsky to take, given his beliefs. Makes me curious about it, to say the least.
Are you referring to the fact that he was religious (I think he was, no?) because I don't think it necessarily clashes with his opinion of society and people in general, like I said, he covers every possible angle so the outcome seemed inevitable. (Kinda depressing, but I can't help but agree). Anyway, I'm sure you'll love it.

Incidentally, I think I've recommended this before, but since I figure you'd go for the same sort of thing as I do (great insight into the human nature type of stuff), you should add Ivo Andrić to your must read list, lighter (and shorter ) fare than Dostoevsky, but so many great thoughts written from a perspective of a man who is familiar with every facet of the human mind and nature, which only the greatest of writers posses. Do check him out (especially The bridge on the Drina and The time of the consuls, if you can track them down), I'm sure you won't regret it.
If you liken him to Dostoevsky, that's enough to get me to investigate. Thank you for the recommendation.

Are you referring to the fact that he was religious (I think he was, no?) because I don't think it necessarily clashes with his opinion of society and people in general, like I said, he covers every possible angle so the outcome seemed inevitable. (Kinda depressing, but I can't help but agree). Anyway, I'm sure you'll love it.
Yeah, I was referring to his Christianity and general belief in redemption. But I was probably thrown by the phrasing; if the book is more about how we, as humans, are bound to persecute even the best of people (perhaps even more likely, the better they are), then it would still be perfectly consistent with his religious beliefs.

WARNING: "The Idiot" spoilers below
In other words, no absolute good on Earth, even if he believed it existed beyond.

Obviously, though, I haven't read the book (yet!).