New Feature: Make and track your Oscar picks

Tools    

Here's a list of the winners and what percentage of users got each right:

2010 Oscar Winners

Some fun stats:
  • Total Average Percentage: 41%
  • Most Obvious: 87% correctly predicted Avatar would win Best Visual Effects
  • Most Difficult: Just 3% correctly predicted that Music by Prudence would win Best Documentary Short.
Runners up in each category: 83% correctly predicted that Up would take Best Animated Film, and only 5% correctly predicted that Logorama would win Best Animated Short.

Users had the easiest time with the acting categories; the majority correctly predicted all four of the acting awards, ranging from 53% (Bullock) to 75% (Waltz). Average among the four acting categories: 63%.

And, of course, 46% correctly predicted that The Hurt Locker would take home the big prize, which isn't bad considering the category had ten films to choose from.

Yeah, Mo'Nique, Bullock, Bridges, Bigelow, and Waltz were all pretty obvious, and The Hurt Locker wasn't too tough to predict, either. Up for Best Animated Film was a slam-dunk, too. That said, a lot of the other categories were trickier, and we definitely saw a few less-than-likely winners last night.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Ebert picked 15 out of 20, but he didn't make predictions for the three short subjects and sound mixing.

He didn't pick sound mixing? There was a war film nominated, that meant it was almost a certainty that The War Locker would win. I think the only technical award I got wrong was Best Make-Up. I thought it was a 50/50 between Young Victoria and Star Trek. I went with YV, as it's a period drama, but I guess there were more aliens in Star Trek than I thought.