The Videogames Tab

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
what the name of the game called again?, oh okay hoping for it release for psvr. that really cool
Outer Wilds

It is a yay game

A system of cells interlinked
@Sedai
@Austruck

Guys. I just finished Journey and ....I think I may cry.

Such a simple and elegant play through. That ending.... Wow. Just beautiful. Three nights at maybe an hour per session. There were no obligations other than finding the gateway to the next level. Even if you miss something or take some form of damage, you're not out anything if you just keep moving forward, which is the theme of this all. REALLY great stuff. I'm not sure I've been so moved by an abstraction of a game. And the random companions!! It's just so sweet and near perfect.

Austruck? You HAVE to finish this game!!
Yep, really great stuff. As I alluded to before, the allegory really hits home as you move towards the final area of the game. On my first play through, I met up with a random companion just as I was starting the final stage, and we completed that part together. I was blown away.

@Austruck - No worries, maybe this game just isn't for you. It is all fairly Zen and new age-ish.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
No. You'll hate it. And you're breaking my heart for it.

Liiiiiiiiisssaaaaaaaaaaahhh!!!!
*Throws down half empty, sloshing bottle of water*

The Adventure Starts Here!
(sigh) I'll keep trying.

Also, I bought and started Outer Wilds (it was on sale!) along with a bunch of other really cheap games. Total for the whole bundle was about $17. Outer Wilds seems fun (not VR, just PC), once I figure out how to eat something in-game. Apparently Karl doesn't want the corn flakes I was sure he was supposed to eat.

At least it's not all zenny like some OTHER games...

there's a frog in my snake oil
At least it's not all zenny like some OTHER games...
Oh it’s so zen. Just the calming zen of a comet slowly approaching (in a shroud of beguiling sound and colour )

I'll be honest, I thought that game title was Outer Worlds, and I went looking for it then recognized THAT game for what it was and got all super confused =\ The YT videos I found of "Outer Worlds space travel" were pretty useless.

o.O

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Absolute classic. You'll almost definitely like Portal 2 as well (longer and with some new mechanics, but admittedly not as small and perfectly distilled as the original), and a few others that have copied the franchises a bit over the years, if you find yourself wanting more after that.

Just made the summit again but with another player. Such a sweet game.
3 weeks or so ago, I ran through the game about 5 times in one day, getting all my achievements except a couple of multi-player ones. The white robe helps a lot once you unlock it, btw!

3 weeks or so ago, I ran through the game about 5 times in one day, getting all my achievements except a couple of multi-player ones. The white robe helps a lot once you unlock it, btw!
The first player I ran into last night had a white robe. Is that from completing the game multiple times? Or is it a hidden object in a level? I don't want to know where, if it's that!

I was able to lead the second player to the "discover an ancient creature in the temple" achievement. I didn't know exactly where, so was stumbling around trying to find it. I'm sure they were like dude. let's get to the NEXT level already??? But once we found it, the player kept quickly pinging their symbol light bubble sphere thingy. I'd like to think that was a thank you. More likely though, it was a "OMG you made me wait for THIS?!" We did end up completing the game together. That was so sweet and even more emotional than my solo run. I noticed the level cut scenes change those hieroglyphics to two player glyphs when you play with another player. That was interesting. And I love how, after completing the first run through, you can choose what levels you jump to.

I wish there was a way to control who you play with! Then you and I could just tag out, running AU through every level whether she wants to or not!

@Austruck
I think I have another way to determine if the end game of this is worth your effort in frustration from the earlier desert levels. Have you seen The Fountain? Did you like it at all? That is one of my most favorite and emotional movies. I recognize some issues in it, but between the myth of it all, the climactic score, and the visuals (especially near the end), I am in pure awe when I watch that movie's final act. I experience a similar emotion when playing the final level of Journey! The score, the visuals, the (projected) emotion that I have for this character and more so if there is a companion; it all just comes together and I feel very much the same as I do when finishing The Fountain.

Maybe that's a better point of reference? maybe?

I picked up and downloaded Outer Wilds (thanks Golgot for obsessively posting about THAT one probably more than I posted about CONTROL), and uh... Manifold Garden? I think that's the title. After Journey, I think Manifold Garden will be a nice direction. I hope.

The first player I ran into last night had a white robe. Is that from completing the game multiple times? Or is it a hidden object in a level? I don't want to know where, if it's that!
Collect all the symbols (the little ones, not the murals) in the game. As you leave each level, the symbols will be lit up if you collected them - if you see some are still dark, you need to find those!

The Adventure Starts Here!
@Austruck
I think I have another way to determine if the end game of this is worth your effort in frustration from the earlier desert levels. Have you seen The Fountain? Did you like it at all? That is one of my most favorite and emotional movies. I recognize some issues in it, but between the myth of it all, the climactic score, and the visuals (especially near the end), I am in pure awe when I watch that movie's final act. I experience a similar emotion when playing the final level of Journey! The score, the visuals, the (projected) emotion that I have for this character and more so if there is a companion; it all just comes together and I feel very much the same as I do when finishing The Fountain.

Maybe that's a better point of reference? maybe?
You're throwing off my binge-watching algorithms. First I had to go watch Labyrinth. Now I have to go watch The Fountain. (Strangely, I have an odd feeling as this movie starts on my second monitor right now that I have seen it before. But I can't remember any of it so I'll play it here as I putz around on the main monitor.

Collect all the symbols (the little ones, not the murals) in the game. As you leave each level, the symbols will be lit up if you collected them - if you see some are still dark, you need to find those!

Dang. Didn't know that!!