Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Victim of The Night

A Quiet Place Part II (John Krasinski, 2021)
6.5/10

They're back, finally. Shh!
Honestly, this is just cracking me up.

Victim of The Night
BEYOND THE BLACK RAINBOW
(2010, Cosmatos)
Freebie

Set in 1983, the film follows Dr. Barry Nyle (Michael Rogers), the director at a New Age research facility that's selling itself as a haven for those wanting to find true happiness. However, in reality what he's doing is experimenting on unsuspecting patients, primarily a young woman called Elena (Eva Allan), who seems to have some level of telekinetic powers.

But anyway, Cosmatos makes an effort of conveying uneasiness, uncomfortability, dread, and mystery with pretty much every image. His clever use of colors and sterile aesthetics along with a very appropriate set design, a hypnotic 80s-synth score, and some odd, unique directorial choices certainly make this film one that will stick with you afterwards.

Grade:

(Tempted to go as high as 4.5, but I will let it sit for a while)

Full review on my Movie Loot
I really looked forward to this movie for years and when I finally saw it felt really let down.
I thought the third act was pretty weak. Really, the climax more than anything. It's so good looking most of the time I'll probably see it again, but I can't imagine it improving much on repeat viewing as it's really the script I thought was the problem. Gave me a Sunshine vibe. Though maybe not as bad as all that.

I really looked forward to this movie for years and when I finally saw it felt really let down.
I thought the third act was pretty weak. Really, the climax more than anything. It's so good looking most of the time I'll probably see it again, but I can't imagine it improving much on repeat viewing as it's really the script I thought was the problem. Gave me a Sunshine vibe. Though maybe not as bad as all that.
I would agree that the very last act, or the last 10-15 minutes are the weakest part. But I really didn't feel like it hindered the overall impact the film had on me, which to be honest, relied more on the visual and sensory aspect of it, rather than the script/story.

Victim of The Night
I would agree that the very last act, or the last 10-15 minutes are the weakest part. But I really didn't feel like it hindered the overall impact the film had on me, which to be honest, relied more on the visual and sensory aspect of it, rather than the script/story.
I can understand that. Maybe I can be more forgiving on a second view. Like I say, I just got such Sunshine vibes it was like cinematic PTSD.

I don't dislike DiCaprio per se. Like, he's watchable and I did enjoy a bit of his work in The Revenant. However, I don't think he gave the best performance of that particular year, so I don't agree with his Oscar win.
What was your favorite lead performance that year? I looked at the other nominees (admittedly I didn't see a few of the films) and nothing really jumped out as a performance I'd heard people gushing about.

A Quiet Place Part II (2020)

I may even be a little generous here, but at least the plotholes are impressive. Predictable and dumb, perhaps an attempt to catch all the post-apocalypse cliches in the same package. The editing of simultaneous events kinda underlines how there's almost no content at all. Oh, and I hated every scene with the baby - such a stupid and unneeded plot device like it was in the first film, too.

Flight That Disappeared, 1961 (B)

A B-movie about a plane that seems to fly right out time. It's not anything crazy, but it's not bad either. Classic anti-war sci-fi stuff, and all that. Not the first time this plot was used.

In the Heights -

I saw this musical, which is about the Hispanic residents of Washington Heights coping with oncoming gentrification, on HBO Max, but I encourage you to see it in a theater while you still can. It is a visual delight in every way, especially in terms of color. Everything on screen from the apartment buildings to the dancers' outfits to the products on the shelves at protagonist Usnavi's bodega make the movie burst with life. The emotional tone also has a lot to do with this, which I would describe and unashamedly and unabashedly sincere. The best thing of all, though, is that unlike other modern movies that fit this description, I never felt bombarded by the visuals or that I was forced to maintain a smile for the entire running time. Other things I appreciate about the movie are the song and dance numbers - each of which are fun, memorable and have just enough surreality to them - and that we never see the villains. The incoming "rich people and hipsters," as Usnavi refers to them, are only mentioned in passing, and I approve because it lets us spend more time with him, his friends, his family, etc. With all that said, this is no Hamilton (but what is) and it has an odd "siloed" quality that is also a problem in Jon M. Chu's last movie, Crazy Rich Asians. By that, I mean that some of the stories involving the supporting characters, pal Benny and just returned home love interest Nina in particular, often seem so removed from the main narrative that they might as well be in another movie. I get that this is an ensemble movie with many players, many stories, etc., but I would have liked for there to be a bit more interconnectedness. I still think this is the best movie I've seen so far this year and would not be surprised if it remains at or near the top by the end of it. Oh, and it may have the best scene that takes place on a subway train since the original The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3.
I loved this movie but did not see it in a theater, but I agree this movie SCREAMS to be seen on a big screen.

What was your favorite lead performance that year? I looked at the other nominees (admittedly I didn't see a few of the films) and nothing really jumped out as a performance I'd heard people gushing about.
Looking at the other nominees from that year, I liked Michael Fassbender's performance in Steve Jobs quite a bit (I generally like Fassbender). He would probably be my top pick for that year. I've also seen The Martian, though yeah, one could make a fair argument that Damon doesn't have many chances to collaborate with other actors. I haven't seen The Danish Girl and Trumbo., Also, he wasn't nominated, but I liked Patrick Stewart's performance in Green Room (I'd have to rewatch it though to decide if I liked his performance better than DiCaprio's).

A Quiet Place, Part II - The bugs are back to feast on what's left of the human stragglers. There's lots of running and screaming; some of the characters will make it, some won't. The children are our hope, if they don't get eaten.

Move to Part III, when that gets made.

This movie had all the hallmarks of an in-between sequel/prequel, a follow up plot with the same monsters and an ambiguous ending that seemed to set up Part III. Like lots of monster movies, it has a Macguffin and that reminds me of Mars Attacks, only this flick tries to take itself seriously unlike Mars Attacks, which was a parody.

It has lots of bump-scares, the monsters are really fast, which I suspect helped with the animation budget and it definitely set up Part III. It was my first theater experience in more than a year. I should have gone for a Dr Dolittle revival.

A Quiet Place Part II (2020)

I may even be a little generous here, but at least the plotholes are impressive. Predictable and dumb, perhaps an attempt to catch all the post-apocalypse cliches in the same package. The editing of simultaneous events kinda underlines how there's almost no content at all. Oh, and I hated every scene with the baby - such a stupid and unneeded plot device like it was in the first film, too.
Haven't seen Part II yet, but there was nothing "unneeded" about the presence of the baby in the original, especially not since it resulted in the most suspenseful moment in the film.

Black Sun: The Nanking Massacre (1995)

-

AKA Men Behind the Sun 4, and probably the best of the series besides part 1. This is less of an exploitation film but no less disturbing because of it's meanness and historical accuracy. Fairly well made.

A Quiet Place, Part II -

The first is another one of those movies I couldn't finish. This time, it was because I kept thinking what I would do in that position. None of my ideas involved sitting around the house trying to be quiet.

The first is another one of those movies I couldn't finish. This time, it was because I kept thinking what I would do in that position. None of my ideas involved sitting around the house trying to be quiet.
Why not? That's the obvious initial thing to do to keep safe in that sort of scenario, after all.

Victim of The Night
Yeah, I've said it elsewhere, it's really a movie that's totally enjoyable, quite enjoyable really, if you just don't think about... anything.