The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Singin' In The Rain... classic in every sense, just not my kinda movie.

Die Hard, undoubtedly an 80s action classic... and was on my shortlist.
Ultimately got cut.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Singin showing up ends any hope of a few of mine making it. I did predict it though I just had a feeling although realistically there wasn't much of the clue that I deciphered.

I have never seen Die Hard. Yup, you heard that right.

In retrospect, Die Hard made perfect sense. Maybe I should have had more faith than Theo did.

I did get Singin' in the Rain right, however. To be honest, I was a bit underwhelmed by it when I saw it a couple years ago. Although I can admire the dancing ability of Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor is a good sidekick, I was less impressed with the story and its choice of villain...

WARNING: "" spoilers below
It makes sense that she was the understudy of Judy Holliday in Born Yesterday...just wish they grabbed her instead if they insisted on it being that particular character.

Also, I wasn't big on the toes song...it felt too cute and cloying the longer it went. Nice dancing, though.

Die Hard didn't quite my list proper, either (blame the running joke on the Johnsons), but I do find it an important film particularly if you're interested in screenwriting. You can learn lessons on how to set up a proper story from character motivation to how they set up the plot.

WARNING: "" spoilers below
We can save the whole discussion on how this one guy should have been dead in the boiler room and not come back to give the cop his redemption arc for another day.

the movies from the 2010 list is catching up, 15 movies while the new movies from this list has 23. Not necessarily a bad thing since this could change everything once we get to top 25. On New Years Day we find out on what #50 and #49 are, I predict a curveball for #50, we'll most likely be done this list at the end of January

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

I've retweeted Yods' Tweet to Mark Kermode.
Die Hard is his #1 Christmas movie... see if he responds

Both of those are great films and are among my favorites of their respective genres. Happy to see them on here. It's cool that a few musicals have made this list so far. Hopefully, some more do as this list goes on as it tends to be a pretty love it or hate it genre.

Master of My Domain
Since I watched it yesterday and my memory is still vivid, here are some reasons why Die Hard is an awesome action film:

- It introduced a new archetype to the action movie genre: a vulnerable, ordinary hero with realistic proportions who overcame adversity through his wit and self-deprecating humor.
- Features a memorable villain who is not only charismatic, but is also capable enough to outsmart our hero, which leads to an extremely nail-biting scene in the film's second half.
- McTiernan's direction. You usually don't notice good directing in an action movie, but it's clear how skilled McTiernan is in establishing scenes and piecing together shots that create coherence, not disarray. Despite a lot going on in this film, I'm never lost.
- Fast, efficient exposition. Within 10 minutes, we know everything we need to know about our hero, John McClane –– why he's here, who he is, and what matters to him most.
- A supporting cast that serves a purpose rather than to stand around and serve as backdrops for the ongoing action. Everyone has his/her defining moment, from the empathetic but firm officer Powell to the wise-crackin' limo driver Argyle. It's not easy to balance these many characters and their respective arcs, and yet, Die Hard executes them flawlessly. You could say the conclusion to Powell's redemption arc is a bit unnecessary, but by that point I was so enamored I really didn't care. Absolute classic. Also, Merry Christmas MoFo!

Singing in the Rain is hard to argue against. Works as both a clever commentary on the biz as well as weightless entertainment. Make em Laugh is still one of the greatest numbers ever committed to film. I must admit I've always hated Gene Kelly as an actor though. Great dancer, but there is something smugly off putting about him.

Die Hard was my Rosettas Stone for the action genre. Before it I had no time for what I thought was empty, air headed, loud nonsense filled with gross looking muscles. By bringing it's destruction to that slick and off putting big business 80s vibe, I could finally root for some explosions. Burn it all down! It also introduced genuine anxiety and humanity to its action scenes. And Bruce Willis is a revelatory hero for the film, balding brave and strangely vulnerable in his bare feet and undershirt.

Neither made my list (I'm starting to forget what I even must have picked...stupid stuff I'm sure) but both rank highly in my esteem

I couldn't even finish the film.

It's his first film to be shot digitally and he said he would never shoot another feature on film again....yet he has yet to shoot another feature!!!! The film is WAAAAY too long to boot. I just could not get into it and I don't see myself trying anytime soon.

His Twin Peaks return is probably as close as well ever get to another film by him. And it's like his Satantango. Endless, infuriating and deeply rewarding for those who stick with it.

Inland Empire is extremely daunting to approach. It doesn't really give it's audience much to hold onto or orient themselves. But if one is willing to just be led into the abyss of David Lynch's transcendental meditation mind, it's one of the most singular cinematic experiences in decades.

Singin in the Rain is a filmmaking marvel that absolutely deserves to be on this list.

Die Hard appearing on Christmas Day ends the debate. It’s definitely a Christmas movie, and the first to show up from my list! I’ve seen it countless times and it does things I wish more action movies did, especially modern ones. You have a such a clear sense of both McClane and the villains’ motivations for almost every move they make. You know why they’re doing what they’re doing and so do they. Rarely does anyone do something just to advance the plot or just because the movie needed something to happen. It’s also a rare case of liking the villains almost as much as the heroes, they’re so fun and charming to watch and there are moments when you’re genuinely happy for them. There’s only like 12 “terrorists” and you know most of them by sight and if you pay half attention you learn their names too. So when McClane starts bumping them off you know who they are and how many are left, something action movies don’t do anymore, instead choosing to throw faceless goons at the hero to dispatch with ease.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Singin in the Rain is a solid musical. Gotta appreciate the meta layer but it's not a masterpiece.

I'm not a die hard fan of Die Hard.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I didn't vote for Singin' In The Rain but I'm tickled pink that it made the countdown!

Singing in the Rain (Stanley Donen, 1952)

The ambitious and beautifully staged Broadway Melody, a conceptual dream-fantasy dance number, makes Singin' in the Rain so indeed very special.

For anyone who hasn't seen Singin' in the Rain, this 3 minute YouTube clip Link shows you just what you're missing! That video is from the ballet inspired, dream sequence dance that's shown above.

While all of the Broadway Melody number is jaw dropping awesome, I especially loved the set design and color pallet used in the gif. But that gif hardly does the dance segment justice. The woman is wearing a veil that's incredible long, 50 feet! A wind machine is used to blow the veil sky high! It's really a thing of beauty and accentuates the already intrinsic feeling of the set design.

The other segment of Broadway Melody that awed me was the jazz speak easy club number with that same woman decked out in a Louise Brooks style flapper outfit. Her emerald green dress really pops against the deep red background of the set. YouTube Link

Cyd Charisse is that woman. IMO she was the best female dancer to ever glide over the silver screen.

My other favorite number was the duel dance with Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor at that start of the film. It's a good dance number and it's fun to compare their styles. And I'm convinced Donald O'Connor was a better dancer than Gene Kelly. Kelly is visible stiff in his upper body, especially in his head, neck and shoulders. Where as O'Connor is fluid from his feet to the top of his head.

I have to say Jean Hagen was great in this! I loved her ditzy, screeching silent film movie star. I'm not surprised she earned an Academy Award nomination for best supporting actress. Her and Donald O'Connor were my favorite characters.

Gene Kelly does a good job of being a somewhat narcissistic movie star who's still likeable deep down. That's a role he often played in his films and that character type is probably close to his own personality.

A 19 year old Debbie Reynolds did a good job of it too, but was an odd choice as she was mostly an unknown and not a dancer. I'm not sure why Gene Kelly who was the film's co-producer would choose her? She's not a stand out and the romance part of the film didn't really work for me, but that doesn't matter as the dance numbers are phenomenal.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Two
movies that I didn't put in my Top 25.

Singin' in the Rain has the greatest collection of classic songs (most are from the '20s and have been in other films of that era) and dances of any original movie musical. Donald O'Connor and Gene Kelly spend the movie trying to outdance each other. It's also the best Hollywood satire ever made. Debbie Reynolds and Jean Hagen also contribute mightily.

Die Hard has a great collection also - a collection of so many "in-joke" nicknames you might EVEN share with me. Donut Guy, Johnson & Johnson, Booby SOB, Limo DJ, Huey Lewis guy, Rich Guy, Reporter SOB, Man Who Never Dies, Man Who Fell to Earth, Helicopter Guys, Knockout Punch, Glass Man, etc. [SOB is a cleaned-up initialism for a different word not used on MoFo.] Love it.

Die Hard was my #21, my favorite action movie since I went to see it the first 2 nights it was out.

Singin' in the Rain is the best traditional style musical I've seen and it's not that close.