The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

They mentioned in the commentary Kashmir was the only one they could get the rights to.
But that makes it all the more hilarious and appropriate to the situation

I hated Akira. Maybe I chose a bad day to watch it, but I remember being bored/disinterested for the entire movie. We watched To Kill a Mockingbird in high school after reading the book. Even with the classroom setting (the viewing was likely stretched over two days) and most of the students harboring prejudice against old black-and-white movies, it seems like everyone was fairly impressed with it. Book is better, as is almost always the case, but I owe the movie a proper re-watch.

Dazed and Confused is one of the greatest, most naturalistic hang-out movies. I was flipping channels recently and came across it on one of the movie channels. Meant to just watch for a few minutes, but ended up watching almost the entire movie. It was like dropping in on some friends and suddenly finding yourself at a party with a beer in one hand and a joint in the other. As someone who wishes they could've been a teen in the 70's, when music/fashion/attitudes/etc. seemed so much cooler, Dazed and Confused lets me live that fantasy for the course of its runtime. The strangest part is that the characters and their situations aren't much different from the same aimless Friday/Saturday nights my friends and I would experience during our own high school/college years, just minus the bell bottoms and Foghat. I didn't vote for it, but it's a borderline top-50 favorite.

Toy Story is the first movie to appear from my own ballot. My entire grade (I was eight in 1995, so I think that would've been 3rd or 4th grade) took a field trip to the movie theater to see it. None of us had ever seen computer animation before, so Toy Story felt revolutionary. Even at such a young age, I think we all realized that we were witnessing the future of animation. As time has passed, making the once groundbreaking technology now look quaint, the movie's greatness hasn't suffered since its biggest strengths were its adventurous story, lovable (and instantly iconic) characters and spot-on voice acting. This is easily one of my most-watched movies. If I ever had a bad day at school, Buzz and Woody were waiting at home to put a smile on my face. "You've Got a Friend in Me," indeed.

My two guesses are Saving Private Ryan and Rear Window

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

A system of cells interlinked
Rear Window and The Social Network.

Tomorrow's hint:

I concur with Rear Window and Saving Private Ryan
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Master of My Domain
Maybe The Conversation? It's a favorite of mine but I wouldn't be surprised if it appeared this early in this list. Also because I want Rear Window to rank higher.

I always thought this was an accurate way of showing how Damone had no idea what he was talking about.

Zeppelin never released singles from their albums.
RYM lists quite a few. Each release has to be verified before having its data approved.

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/led-zeppelin

There were American singles. "Good Times Bad Times" had a US release.

You can also check Discogs and Wikipedia. Zeppelin didn't want singles released, but the studios always got one or two out. Some of the singles were released after their albums were. Every studio album had at least one single. even BBC Sessions had one.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Haven't a chance to respond to the last two days. . .
Two animated films that were game changers, a high school daze and a very serious court room drama with Gregory Peck.
Seen 'em all, none of them made my list though.

Akira

This had always been, for the longest time, THE go-to film for Japanese Animation whenever someone wanted to explore such films.
Even though, as a tyke I saw a few Americanized animated TV shows like Speed Racer and Kimba; The White Lion, when this came out, it was pretty mind-blowing when it came to animation. At that time in the 80s, this was the next generation of Japanese artwork and still comes up in conversations when talking about Anime.
Also, this is on a VERY small list of films that I will select Dubbed instead of Subtitles. Another, coincidentally as the same person doing the voice for Kei also does Faye, in Cowboy Bebop.

But, enough of that.

Opening up with an incredible fight on motorcycles through the streets of Tokyo, we hit the ground running in this action/sci-fi of a futuristic city (2019) and the clash of these delinquents and a genetic experiment that is accidentally unleashed on one of them.
Bouncing from the corrupt scientists, to the Military attempts to contain it all, to Radicals looking to rebel the system and expose the secret of said experiment, to the psychic children who are the most recent subjects of it, the pacing moves quickly. And at first, may seem a little confusing. Especially as we move toward the final act and the grandiose battle as the experiment takes over the young gang member, Tetsuo.

Interspersed throughout the swearing, violence and psychic battling we do have, at it's core, the need for finding one's self that is a strong aspect of being a teenager. Albeit set in a science fiction/Militant existence. But still, very much there.

Been TOO LONG since the last time I saw this excellent animation.

Toy Story

You are a strange little man. And you have my pity

Pixar definitely made a name for itself right out of the box. TOY box that is. I say, I say ---

Sorry, went totally Foghorn Leghorn there for a second.

Ahem.
For their debut film, this animation company set the bar, and then, as we all know, continued to raise said bar. Placing us into the world of our toys and their sociological problems such as laser envy and evil kids hell bent on torturing their toys.
Filled with countless inside jokes and scenarios with top notch voice actors, Toy Story is and was a solid foundation of a budding animation studio.
While I haven't mentioned it with others, there was also a secondary note that opened all our eyes to PIxar with the opening cartoon, Geri's Game,

That gave us a glimpse even further into what Pixar would be offering up.

Dazed and Confused

[repeated line]
Slater: Shotgun!

During the 80's Teen Movie Hall of Fame I never actually felt any nostalgia for when I was a teenager while watching them. Just nostalgia for those films and watching them, back then.
But this, this brought up all kinds of memories of those dazes.
Probably because this is set on the Last Day of School and the first day of Summer vacation in 1976. At that time I was in 6th grade, in '79: a freshman in high school and a senior in '82, and our class were the final puffs off a nearly dead roach of that life before MTV became a thing, the drive-in burger joints were already becoming things of history and people started congregating in malls.
Suffice to say, I have more connections to the high-schoolers in this film; how they acted, the music they enjoyed, the way they dressed, than the MTV crowd that came afterwards.
So, when I previously stated I had lived this film and had no need to watch it, it was exactly it. Which is in no way a negative thing, having now watched it and enjoyed both it and all the memories that came flooding back with it. It was quite the beautiful thing seeing so many characters and personas that clicked regarding people I hung and partied with, back then.

The only confusion I had and it sort of put me out of the movie, was when I realized that this wasn't the senior class (like a lot of high school films normally focus on) but the junior class and that, on the last day of school they began hazing the graduating 8th graders before they even made it out of the parking lot of school.
I have no recollection of such things.
Seniors hazed freshman from the first day of school in September. Not back in June.
I even asked my older siblings about it. One brother who did graduate in '76 and one sister who graduated in '73 never heard of it. Only one sister who graduated in '70 said there was a little bit of it as summer vacation started. So. . . who knows.
But I do recollect how the hazing was the beginning of a lot of partying, so, like so many other scenarios in this film, that rung very true.

All in all, a very pleasant experience that shook loose so, so many cobwebs bringing back all kinds of memories triggering both smiles and some tears. All out of joy.
How beautiful is that?

Now, it has been quite a long time since I've seen To Kill a Mocking Bird, some thirty years give or take, in fact. So, tonight, I rewatched this film based on a novel written by woman about her father defending a black man. The entire affair seen through the eyes of six year old child.
A touching and well done film that is a very apt addition to our Countdown.

Movies Watched 12 out of 16 (75%)
25. Cyrano de Bergerac (1950) One Pointer

Rectification List
Day of the Jackal (1973) One Pointer
To Kill A Mockingbird (#85) *rewatch*

Glad that To Kill a Mockingbird made the list but disappointed it's way up in the 80s. But I'm prejudiced because it's my favorite movie of all-time. And I'm one of the few that like it more than the book. I read the book before I saw the movie, then afterwards, and I still love the movie more, as great as the book is.

Dazed and Confused is a movie I saw and enjoyed immensely. And it's my exact high school era---the 70s. And pretty much everything in that movie was dead-on. I either experienced it or saw it happening. Matthew McConaughey played a role of a guy much older still hanging around high school looking for chicks. There was a former student hanging around high school doing the exact thing that McConaughey was doing---the only difference is that everyone didn't think he was cool. But it was almost like Linklater hung around our high school---but he did go to high school in Texas so I guess a lot of the escapades were exactly alike. Still, I didn't put it on my list. That's two from my list that have made it so far. Yikes! Mine will be gone before I know it! 12 out of 16 seen so far.