Movies you thought you would hate but really liked

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
The Robocop 2014 remake. I usually hate remakes and everyone kept talking about how awful it is, but I actually thought it was solid, and didn't know why everyone thought it was so bad.

Pretty sure this is not the first thread on this subject...i tried to watch Gravity oit n five different occasions and turned it off about 15-20 minutes in. The sixth time I tried to watch it, I don't know why, I totally connected with it and loved it...rated
. I also recently went into an animated film called The Boss Baby that I thought I would hate but I really enjoyed it.

I was apprehensive and leery about seeing Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood for two reasons: Tarantino's penchant for gore made me think that the film would center around the bloodbath of Sharon Tate's and others horrific murders; and also that, because I lived in Hollywood in 1969, Tarantino couldn't possibly represent it in a satisfactory way to me. I was wrong on both counts, and ended up really liking everything about the movie.

I thought House of Cards would be a ****, but I really like it

The Amazing Spider-Man

To be clear, I still don't like the film, not necessarily because it's a terrible film, but because it could have been a great one. But I do like it a lot more nowadays than I did back then.

Nobody set out to make a bad movie and no writer set out to write a bad story. Over the years, I've seen similar compelling defenses from people like HiTop Films in regards to both The Amazing Spider-Man and its infamous sequel, and having heard what I have about 500 Days of Summer, Marc Webb doesn't seem like the type without the kind of talent needed to handle a character-focused story like Spider-Man. And having heard these defenses and analysis of TASM, I agree that there's a more provocative character study buried beneath these films, which leaves me pretty disappointed, but unsurprised.

I hate it whenever studio meddling result in a potentially good film, such as the likes of Alien 3, but what makes me love the art of storytelling in movies even more is these filmmakers' efforts to regardless tell a good story in spite of having one hand tied behind. Folks like David Fincher and Mark Webb, folks who set out to tell a story with a lot of heart and thought.

I'm a pretty huge Spider-Man fan, and the themes of TASM about Spidey striving to be an adult everyday man is probably one of the most compelling movie concepts I've heard in my years of reading comics, and it's a great shame that such a powerful idea was lost, one that could have very well accompanied the themes of Raimi's films that took Spidey in a more classical Silver Age comics direction (being more about dealing with personal problems rather than the Modern Age comics' more grounded themes of personal reflection and what kind of a person you would want to become in society as reflected in TASM). It was a sensible next step in the character exploration of Peter Parker as a person, and it could've been an amazing one too.

The Killing of the Scared Dear - a lot of arthouse/A24 style movies are hit and miss for me but I felt this one while odd was quite engaging

I did not like Bruce Willis, so I avoided The Sixth sense. Ended up liking it. I also liked Bruce in 12 Monkeys.

I remember when Shakespeare in Love came out. I was not to crazy about Ben Affleck and the movie was popular so naturally I avoided it until somebody recommended it to me personally. I like it a lot.

Yeah, this has happend to me. When I started watching 'The Life of PI' I thought it will be very bad. Because I just came from and started from the middle. But after passing a few scenery I started liking this movie. And watched till the end. This is much more better movie I have ever seen. It was an amazing experience for me, and I watched till the end.

Real Steel (2011).

The trailer made this film look really hokey. However, a friend dragged me to see it and I loved it all the way through. The movie has so much heart and it is so well done that it could win anybody over. It is definitely worth seeing.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
I completely expected to dislike Perfect Blue and Tokyo Godfathers but ended up really enjoying both, especially the latter.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Real Steel (2011).

The trailer made this film look really hokey. However, a friend dragged me to see it and I loved it all the way through. The movie has so much heart and it is so well done that it could win anybody over. It is definitely worth seeing.

I love Real Steel. It made both my Top 25 Action Movies and my Top 25 Sci-Fi Movies lists.

I thought i would hate it but i loved it and its highly rewatchable.

Top Hat, I wasn't really a fan of musicals and this film was on TV so i thought I would watch it and tick it off in the book 1,001 movies to see book.
I ended up enjoying it and became a fan of both Astaire and Rogers (especially Rogers more dramatic roles.)

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Bad Milo. Thought it was going to be terrible, but I was on a date, and she really wanted to watch it, and I ended up liking it.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Instant Family

This Mark Wahlberg & Rose Byrne family dramedy had cookie cutter by the numbers written all over it. I expected it to be melodramatic and lack any real charm. Wahlberg would be wooden and Byrne would try but lack chemistry with her co-star. Of course, I am completely sane and hate all child actors and fully expected them to be irritating. After a film like Daddy's Home, Wahlberg's family films were....less than thrilling.

What I got was something else. It was a heartfelt look at adoption, it gave us real characters and real situations that elevated the comedy and the drama. It packs an emotional punch that was unexpected. Is it a GREAT movie? Probably not, but it's a really good one that I think people should give a chance.

Suspect's Reviews

The 2013 Fright Night 2, i hated the 2011 remake and was turned off by seeing part 2 as i enjoyed the 1985 original and part 2 in 1988, this 2013 Fright Night 2 which is a remake/remix of 1985 FN and 1988 FN 2 is everything the 2011 horrible remake should had been.

I like it did something different and wasn't insulting the first 2 movies like 2011's FN remake did and is a sequel/remake ala Evil Dead 2 in a way and makes Peter Vincent a TV personality of a supernatural show than a halfassed attempt to be a magician.

One of the better direct to video horror movies i've seen