5. The Fall - Frightened
6. Falling in Reverse - Popular Monster
7. Elastica - Connection
8. 2 Foot Yard - Borrowed Arms
9. Neil Diamond - Hello Again
10. Dua Lipa - Don't Start Now

All voted

1st - Actors - Slaves (73 pts)

2nd - 2 Foot Yard - Borrowed Arms (68 pts)
3rd - The Fall - Frightened (63 pts)
4th - My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult - Portrait of the Damned (55 pts)
5th - Tau Cross - Messengers of Deception (54 pts)
6th - Neil Diamond - Hello Again (51 pts)
7th - Elastica - Connection (50 pts)
8th - Johnny Cash - I Heard That Lonesome Whistle (49 pts)
9th - Dua Lipa - Don't Start Now (47 pts)
10th - Falling In Reverse - Popular Monster (40 pts)

Round nine up a little over an hour...

Let the night air cool you off
1. Aretha Franklin - Think
2. Loretta Lynn - One's On The Way
3. The Piedmont Boys - In Came You
4. Ghoultown - Devil's Comin' 'Round
5. Mitski - Cop Car
6. Stevie Parker - Better Off
7. Nathan Wesley - Man In The Box (cover)
8. The Offspring - Gone Away
9. The Donnas - Who Invited You
10. Khalid - Better

Khalid: I know the name but I don't know much about Khalid. He starts about singing in that lazy, mush-mouthed, mumbling way that's so prevalent nowadays that almost nobody does in a compelling way. There's no emotion, no energy, nothing, and this song is supposed to be about how nothing feels better than whatever "this" is. I've obviously missed something in the lyrics, but I think I can be forgiven because I can't understand half of what he is singing. Perhaps the song is tongue-in-cheek and the idea is that he's going for something like Weeknd lyrics where he's numb but he's doing wild sh*t just to feel something, but the feeling quickly goes away. But The Weeknd makes that stuff compelling, because he actually sings. Maybe Khalid has some better songs. We are a minute in, and I'm already hoping the next three go quicker than the first one. I'm not judging the song based on Khalid's dancing, but his dancing is just as boring as his singing. Sorry to whoever nominated this song, it's just not for me.

Stevie Parker: And instantly I sound like a hypocrite for liking this song a little bit. She does some of the things I complained about in the previous song. She comes off as low energy, but this works a little better, pardon the pun, because lyrically this song sounds a little more fitting for this type of singing. Plus this wasn't all mush-mouthed, and this at least rises and comes down real low and there's movement with her voice. And I at least feel like I'm on some kind of ride with this song. Still, it's not amazing or anything.

Ghoultown: I haven't hit play on this track yet, but judging a book by its cover tells me that at the very least, this track won't be low energy and there's going to be some kind of emotion here. Quick google search tells me these boys are from my neck of the woods. I don't think this particular track is the best of this style of gothic alt-country or whatever you want to call it. But the mid-tier of this type of thing will be more interesting to me than upper mid-tier modern pop music.

Man In The Box cover: The original song is good, and I don't know if anybody has ever nominated a YouTube cover of a song in one of these before. This might be a ground break nomination. And Jayayayayayayasayauyuyuyus Christ this guy can definitely belt this stuff out. This is pretty wild for just a dude on YouTube, impressive really, but I think this is sort like watching an early, silent, experimental short that goes for 20 minutes where you get the cool idea in the first 5-10 and you don't really need to see the gimmick go on that much longer.

The Donnas: I'm not really feeling this, but I don't think they would care, and more power to them for that.

Mitski: I've seen the name a million times, but never plunged into the depths of discovery to purify myself in the waters of Lake Mitskitonka. If this song is indicative of her style, it would be safe to say there is something to her. This gets pretty creepy sounding at times, but I don't know exactly how I feel about how her voice really fits with this music.

The Offspring: Well at least I believe this guy actually feels what he's singing about.

Aretha: My nomination. This song is dope on every level. The piano comes in and the sh*t just hits. That crazy high note Aretha hits is amazing. The chorus of Aretha belting out the word "freedom" is amazing. I love everything about this song. Aretha is a legend.

Loretta Lynn: I am very familiar with this song, but I'm happy to listen to it again. Loretta is every bit the legend that Aretha is. I know it's not a new revelation, but watching this video just reminds me of how much of an influence Loretta had on Kacey Musgraves. I'm a big fan of Musgraves, but she really doesn't hold a candle to Loretta. Loretta is a natural. Even if Loretta wasn't writing her own tunes, she owns everything that comes out of her mouth. It's a lot of that kind of cutesy songwriting that can really come off as unnatural and cringey in the wrong hands, but the charisma of Loretta Lynn is otherworldly.

The Piedmont Boys: I was trying to figure out if I knew the Piedmont Boys, but I can't place them. As soon as country sounds start coming from this video, I knew this round was gonna close out with my top three. Now the question is if I should give this bonus points for being brand new to me. The battle is whether or not this would beat out Loretta. I don't think that'll happen, but clearly this is a good song. Something I'm glad to hear. There's a badass reference to Keith Whitley in here too.

Not the easiest round to rank imo.

1. The Piedmont Boys - In Came You
  2. The Donnas - Who Invited You
  3. Aretha Franklin - Think
  4. Loretta Lynn - One's On The Way
  5. The Offspring - Gone Away
  6. Ghoultown - Devil's Comin' 'Round
  7. Mitski - Cop Car
  8. Stevie Parker - Better Off
  9. Khalid - Better
  10. Nathan Wesley - Man In The Box (cover)

1. Khalid - Better
2. Stevie Parker - Better Off
3. The Donnas - Who Invited You
4. The Piedmont Boys - In Came You
5. Loretta Lynn - One's On The Way
6. Mitski - Cop Car
7. Aretha Franklin - Think
8. Nathan Wesley - Man In The Box (cover)
9. Ghoultown - Devil's Comin' 'Round
10. The Offspring - Gone Away

My Nomination for Round 10:
Travis Scott ft. Drake - Sicko Mode

A system of cells interlinked
I will jump back in for R10

Mister Mister - Kyrie

The Offspring - Gone Away
Ghoultown - Devil's Comin' 'Round
The Piedmont Boys - In Came You
The Donnas - Who Invited You
Stevie Parker - Better Off
Mitski - Cop Car
Nathan Wesley - Man In The Box (cover)
Aretha Franklin - Think
Loretta Lynn - One's On The Way
Khalid - Better

Round 9

1. The Piedmont Boys - In Came You
2. Mitski - Cop Car
3. Loretta Lynn - One's on the Way
4. Ghoultown - Devil's Comin' 'Round
5. Aretha Franklin - Think
6. Stevie Parker - Better Off
7. The Offspring - Gone Away
8. The Donnas - Who Invited You?
9. Khalid - Better
10. Nathan Wesley - Man in the Box (cover)

Aretha Franklin - Think
Nathan Wesley - Man in the Box (cover)
Mitski - Cop Car
The Offspring - Gone Away
The Donnas - Who Invited You?
Stevie Parker - Better Off
Loretta Lynn - One's on the Way
The Piedmont Boys - In Came You
Ghoultown - Devil's Comin' 'Round
Khalid - Better

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
1) The Piedmont Boys - In Came You
2) Loretta Lynn - One's On The Way
3) Khalid - Better
4) Aretha Franklin - Think
5) Stevie Parker - Better Off
6) Ghoultown - Devil's Comin' 'Round
7) The Donnas - Who Invited You
8) Mitski - Cop Car
9) The Offspring - Gone Away
10) Nathan Wesley - Man In The Box (cover)