Coronavirus

Tools    

Account terminated on request
I hope Americans don't start supporting a bunch of extremist conspiracy theories, like some did after 9/11. I mean there's no end to how people could/can and probably will spin the pandemic to give voice to their own personal bias and fears. In when that happens logic goes out the window.
Too many people aren't trained in recognizing the fundamental logical fallacies (cum hoc ergo propter hoc / post hoc ergo propter hoc / survivorship bias <------check out that last one, super interesting, etc., etc., etc....) so you end up with all kinds of nutty crap.
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

I just had to order exam gloves for the clinic from eBay.

Stores here don't have them. Amazon will only sell to hospitals. Our usual distributor said they can't sell us a box because we bought one last month and they won't let us order another until May.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I hope Americans don't start supporting a bunch of extremist conspiracy theories, like some did after 9/11. I mean there's no end to how people could/can and probably will spin the pandemic to give voice to their own personal bias and fears. In when that happens logic goes out the window.
Oh, it's happening. I know someone from high school who is actually a known conspiracy theorist, and he's been ALL over this. He's also got a wicked sense of humor, so SOMETIMES it's hard to tell where he's being serious, but he is USUALLY serious and has gotten into trouble all over the internet for his theories.

Today's latest re. the virus is that the 5G networks originating in China are causing it. Something specifically with the 600mhz frequency.

Yeah, not kidding. He has websites and forums and articles for EVERYTHING. I kinda wish he'd go back to his far more plausible earlier theory that the virus was manufactured in a lab as a bioweapon and released to hurt our elections.

You ready? You look ready.
Have you ever been on one? Seriously fun, and inexpensive... and sorry, CLEAN. If you go with the right person(s), it's a blast.
Nah, I haven't been on one. I get motion sickness pretty bad, so I just never wanted to take a chance. Plus, the ocean freaks me out. WHY IS IT SO BIG?!

Why don't people who believe this stuff just go live in a national park? I mean, if you're really scared about radio waves making you sick you shouldn't be living anywhere near a city or the burbs.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I just had to order exam gloves for the clinic from eBay.
I get mine from traders on Amazon UK so I hope they don't go the same route as America and only sell to hospitals, people outside of hospitals need gloves too! Hopefully if that happens Amazon will take proof that I need gloves to look after someone at home...

Can get little packs of gloves from the supermarket but people are buying those out now I assume for going out in public... and hardly ever in stock.

So for now Amazon is best for me, got two boxes last week.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.new...496490%3famp=1

Trump armtwists modi to release stocks of hydroxychloroquine to other countries. India has large stocks of the drug for fighting malaria.

Don't know if anyone from Denmark has updated in here yet, but anyways...

Our country is on full lockdown basically. We are allowed to go out though, but we can only be in smaller groups together at one time. Mostly it's best to just stay at home as much as possible. So I do. Borders are closed of course, and flights too, more or less.

All schools, restaurants, cafés, shopping malls, most stores etc etc are demanded closed. Most supermarkets are open (not those inside malls) and they do theirs to secure safety by putting up barriers and lines in the floor etc to try and minimize the spread...

As for me, I was at the school studying film and television and was send home. So now I'm "back" at the job connected to the school-part of my education, however, my job is also closed down for now... I expect that I will get back to work in the near future though. Limited, of course. For now I'm still getting paid though, as is most people in Denmark. Unfortunately those with their own business aren't and some have of course been fired here and there. It's sad.

So yeah, it'll be interesting to see what's gonna happen. For me, my education, for Denmark as a whole... it's quite interesting all this. Scary too.

Don't think we've heard from anyone in Denmark, no, but either way, good of you to inform us. Helpful to know how things are all over. Sounds like we just recently became the same way that you've been there for awhile.

Hang in there, MM.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.new...496490%3famp=1

Trump armtwists modi to release stocks of hydroxychloroquine to other countries. India has large stocks of the drug for fighting malaria.
As we do more formal research on this, it sure seems like the results are mixed at best. Definitely not something people should be relying on or taking on their own.

Trump may want to tout this as a possible miracle cure, but the data isn't really backing that up at all right now.

Account terminated on request
As we do more formal research on this, it sure seems like the results are mixed at best. Definitely not something people should be relying on or taking on their own.

Trump may want to tout this as a possible miracle cure, but the data isn't really backing that up at all right now.
Yes.

As I look further into it, it's a really tricky med. People need to stop looking at this as some kind of "ta-da" moment, and let the medical community figure things out.

And for the love of God, if at all possible, I hope people learn to bias their information gathering toward the CDC and NIH, and against major media outlets.

Nah, I haven't been on one. I get motion sickness pretty bad, so I just never wanted to take a chance. Plus, the ocean freaks me out. WHY IS IT SO BIG?!
I too get motion sickness really bad... It drives my husband crazy when we're in the car. And I can't do ANY sort of amusement park ride that goes around and around. And my VR headset makes me ill if I'm not overly careful.

But I don't get motion sickness on a huge cruise ship, for some reason. (Very little motion, really. Subtle.) Once I had to wear one of those motion sickness patches behind one ear, but it was mild. I was being proactive. It totally helped.

I can't help you with the bigness of the ocean. I actually LOVE being out in the middle of the ocean. If you don't, you can easily forget that's where you are if you find one of the million other things to do on a ship.

But I totally get it.

Woman jailed for four weeks for deliberately coughing at Gardai. Hopefully might deter others from doing same. Source

I too get motion sickness really bad... It drives my husband crazy when we're in the car. And I can't do ANY sort of amusement park ride that goes around and around. And my VR headset makes me ill if I'm not overly careful.

But I don't get motion sickness on a huge cruise ship, for some reason. (Very little motion, really. Subtle.) Once I had to wear one of those motion sickness patches behind one ear, but it was mild. I was being proactive. It totally helped.

I can't help you with the bigness of the ocean. I actually LOVE being out in the middle of the ocean. If you don't, you can easily forget that's where you are if you find one of the million other things to do on a ship.

But I totally get it.
I can second that about cruise ships not making most people motion sick. That's because they are HUGE, think of being in a large Vegas hotel but out at sea. The corridors are so long that from inside a ship it looks more like a big hotel than a ship. And the ships all use wing stabilizers that are computer controlled, that stops rocking of the ship.

Oh, my favorite thing is going out to an empty deck at a quiet moment and staring out at the beauty of the vast oceans. The ocean never fails to amaze me.

A system of cells interlinked
Why don't people who believe this stuff just go live in a national park?
They can't. They will get arrested and sent to live on a Christmas tree farm. Haven't you ever seen Leave No Trace?

I can second that about cruise ships not making most people motion sick. That's because they are HUGE, think of being in a large Vegas hotel but out at sea. The corridors are so long that from inside a ship it looks more like a big hotel than a ship. And the ships all use wing stabilizers that are computer controlled, that stops rocking of the ship.

Oh, my favorite thing is going out to an empty deck at a quiet moment and staring out at the beauty of the vast oceans. The ocean never fails to amaze me.
We started taking cruises on a whim back in 2007 -- a shorter one at first in case we hated it. Now we're hooked. I LOVE being out on deck at night in the middle of the ocean! The larger ships also play movies on the Lido deck at night in the middle of the ocean. So I got to lounge on a deck chair with free popcorn watching free movies, and seeing the stars overhead and the ocean on all sides of us. Glorious!

Gosh, I can't wait to go back and am sad our cruise countdown went from just 45 or so days back up to about 270.

You ready? You look ready.
Cruise ships have giant gyros in the bottom of the hull that stabilize wayward movement. Saw it once on Modern Marvels.

But seriously, why is the ocean so big?! I'll keep my feet on solid ground. Please and thank you.

One thing that struck me later about the Queen’s speech is that not once did she mention the fact that her son had coronavirus symptoms & had to quarantine himself. This is typical of Her Majesty. In her long life of duty to the Crown, she has never made anything all about herself.

So like, if you're too cowardly to lay down your life on the job then you have no business being a cop.
I doubt very much that any young person enters the Police Academy hoping to prove how brave he or she is by getting killed on the job.

But one thing is certain: one of the parties involved used rudeness in the exchange. There's no other reason why it would have escalated to cuffs ...
Not sure that’s true. We’ve seen many stories in the news where people have been handcuffed for no discernible reason.

I only wear boxer-briefs now... all the anti-chaffing protection of a boxer with the snuggness and security of a brief!
Well, thanks for this.